• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Have you changed your difficulty level?

I went up to Emperor from King as well. I'm not a good player at all, but the diplo victory is currently so easy and cheesy that the Emperor level is manageable even for me. I'm going to try Immortal soon.

It's interesting how people are affected differently. I moved up a bit, from emperor to immortal, maybe deity not sure yet. I like how they're trying to improve the AI as much as they can, I feel that's the most important thing they can possibly work on to make the game better.

tbh im playing at prince but i like to mix my game up so much and hamstring myself that i always have fun, i know i could probably play at a higher level but feel no need to do so playing a lot of random mods at moment which change the game drastically although im missing my old UI mod which has been taken down from steam :(

I went up to Emperor from King as well. I'm not a good player at all, but the diplo victory is currently so easy and cheesy that the Emperor level is manageable even for me. I'm going to try Immortal soon.
Wasnt Diplo Victory same cheesy and easy in GnK aswell?

Wasnt Diplo Victory same cheesy and easy in GnK aswell?

You're probably right yes, but I never aimed for a diplo victory in GnK. In BNW, I try to aim for another VC, but I always end up winning diplo first (if I don't someone else does).

I was winning about 2/3 immortal at G&K, and had a couple of Deity wins.

I started BNW on Emperor and found it stupidly easy. I guess the AI is having trouble "learning" the new mechanics :p

Haven't had time to play any Immortal or Deity games yet.

I'm a little surprised to hear how some people have went down a difficulty level. I find victory to be more of a sure thing now, and have gone up from Emperor to Immortal.

I was on the verge of switching to immortal shortly before GnK came out, but I held off so I could get to learn the new mechanics first.

I don't mean to be insulting to those who went down a level, but maybe you just need more confidence and a lower difficulty is not needed. I only every played one game on King before going to Emp. I found that player on the lower difficulties for too long had me getting accustomed to some bad habits which wouldn't work on higher levels. Plus a lot of the advice on the boards work best at higher difficulties, i.e. the four city opener. Of course, if you are still not understanding the mechanics than that is another story.

No, but I've considered it... I play noble because I enjoy all things being equal, but Iseem to trun away with the game too often. But once every 6 games or so a computer player will surprise me and i end up in a fun dogfight . So not sure yet. Perhaps I'll go up a level with certain civs like poland and stay down with randoms

Game is too easy for me on emperor, I'll try immortal. So I have to go up one level here like some said.

Is there any way to make the diplo victory harder ? Does limiting the number of city states help in that way ?

I was playing on King in G&K and still playing on same difficulty.

Kinda the same here. I'm finding that with BNW my usual playing level, Immortal, the game is effectively won - it's just a matter of waiting out the turns. Unfortunately, Deity is proving a little much for me. I'm trapped in a no-man's land between a difficulty level that it's too easy to enjoy and one that's too hard to enjoy. I've tried adjusting some things that are meant to make the game harder, like playing on Pangaea and a faster speed, but they don't seem to be sufficient.

Same here, except I'm trapped between Emperor and Immortal, although I am getting better at Immortal. I just found a neat GL Rush that works most of the time on Immortal, and that's usually a sign that I'm getting close to perfecting that difficulty.

In BNW i changed from Emperor to King, because I want to build Great Library for 2 Great Works of Writing, and because the start in BWN is 2 times harder than it used to be for someone who likes to build wonders (because we can sell resources only to allies now). I play immersively to it isn't big change for me

I moved up from King to Emperor, maybe even Immortal.

My first Emperor game was a super close literal 2-turn victory against Poland that had me on edge.

Game is too easy for me on emperor, I'll try immortal. So I have to go up one level here like some said.

Is there any way to make the diplo victory harder ? Does limiting the number of city states help in that way ?

Put Alexander into the game as your opponent. If you are Alexander, then no wonder it's too easy.

My first game in BNW I played on emperor to get familiar with the changes - usually however I play on immortal, which I find somewhat easier than in G&K. Something that's keeping me from choosing deity is that there are still some games with 1-2 very strong A.I. players that are very challenging to beat.

I'm a little surprised to hear how some people have went down a difficulty level. I find victory to be more of a sure thing now, and have gone up from Emperor to Immortal.

I was on the verge of switching to immortal shortly before GnK came out, but I held off so I could get to learn the new mechanics first.

I don't mean to be insulting to those who went down a level, but maybe you just need more confidence and a lower difficulty is not needed. I only every played one game on King before going to Emp. I found that player on the lower difficulties for too long had me getting accustomed to some bad habits which wouldn't work on higher levels. Plus a lot of the advice on the boards work best at higher difficulties, i.e. the four city opener. Of course, if you are still not understanding the mechanics than that is another story.

The main reason I, and I would imagine most others, moved down a difficulty is to get a feel for the new mechanics. It's only a temporary change.

I was an Immortal/Deity player so I started BNW on Emperor... It's just nice to have the majority of the game on auto-pilot so I can focus on the workings of the new systems, learn which techs things are on, and get a feel for things.

Having said that, Emperor was far too easy, and I'll definitely be putting my next game on Immortal at least. I usually micromanage a lot but on Emperor I was finding I ended up setting and forgetting pretty much everything and still rolling out a comfortable winner in all my games.

I think a lot of people, like me, don't care that much about playing at the highest possible difficulty they can thrive on. I'm one of many people who hate the artificial difficulty that is very noticable above Emperor. So with all the new things added, there are more options for me to find my own challenges in the game without resorting to handing cheats to the AI, hence why I turned it down a notch :p

I guess some people see this as RP'ing? But the game should be easier for me now from what I've read. On high difficulties, aggression before I could catch up was my biggest problem and that seems lessened somewhat.

EDIT: And btw, things like a four city opener are pretty straightforward. Even people who don't frequent the boards do those, usually exactly the same. Most people that enjoy this game know how to think for themselves.

Top Bottom