• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Health.. yeesh

cakeman

Chieftain
Ill be up front and say though Ive been a good civ-geek since Civ1, Im far from a power player.. I enjoy putzing about for hours building and exploring and occasionally wiping out a neighbor or two.. but turn by turn micromanagement isnt something I do well..

Also happy to say that although Civ5 never managed to grab me (still play Civ4bts a few times a week) .. BE has done a pretty good job so far..

I cant get Health figured well though..

I started pretty slow as I worked on figuring out the game (never did more than 10 or so hours of Civ5 over a few years so..) .. So at turn 300 of a Mercury game Ive only got 4 cities.. Ive got the the pharmalab cytonursery and clinic for a total of +6 health per city.. and my global health is still -6 and falling..

Is it a case of having to pillage farms so my population is kept low too or? Anyone have any suggestions.. as I say, Im not familiar with the civ5 mechanics at all.. so dont know if Im just missing something or what..

cakes

It's not that important and certainly attempting to remain in positive health is pretty pointless currently. You're better off just building more cities until you hit around -20 health. There's a lot of balancing to be done regarding buildings, trade and the rest.

Health is
-4 per city
-0.75 per pop
- from some tile imrovements

+virtues/synergy bonuses
+buildings

Its OK to go negative
-1= 10% penalty to cult/sci
-10=10% penalty to prod (double intrigue in your cities)
-20=50% penalty to pop and outpost growth

The 25% off of negative health from prosperity is probably the best virtue to combat unhealthness, prosperity is overall the best tree if you want to stay healthy:p

Yea I've just gone deep into prosperity for the first time while playing as the African Union. Maintaining positive health is still hard, and due to that I'm not really enjoying them as their UA only works while health is positive.

On the other hand, Polystralia can just have another two caravans sending loads of food to the capital, much better and you don't need to worry much about health.

Slow your growth. It is one of the classic Civ trade-offs. Does your raging population offset the penalties you get from having negative health? If so, then just keep an eye on it. Otherwise, move citizens around so that your cities aren't growing faster than your ability to manage your nationwide health. Or... have a couple key cities growing like crazy and a couple that are stable.

While specializing cities was important in Civ4, it is even more important in Civ5/BE.

Playing a few early run through games (to like turn 150) I just could not figure out how to keep health in the positive by that point. I assumed there must be something I'm missing because going negative couldn't be the only way, right?

It's not that important and certainly attempting to remain in positive health is pretty pointless currently. You're better off just building more cities until you hit around -20 health. There's a lot of balancing to be done regarding buildings, trade and the rest.

What you said has to be right.... and well I guess I don't get why.
Right now it seems impossible to settle more than one town and stay +health.

I don't see how something like this could be missed unless - health was the intention. In the "I'm new to CIV BE" tutorial (and in the civpedia under 'health' it ends with this statement:
"If it starts to dip into the negative numbers, you're in trouble."

So at least with the few runs I've done through turn 150 or so CIV BE =
settle more than one town = "you're in trouble". :sad:

I just build a ton of biowells, which give +1 health. That seems to be the best way to combat unhealth for now.

Is health the new happiness? I look up and my cities are unhealthy. Now I'm building all the health building.

Yes. Below 0, you have slight penalties to culture and science. Below 10 and below 20, it gets worse.
Positive health above 10 gives you bonuses.

The effect of negative health is much less severe than in Civ 5. Going most of the game with negative health is totally viable. The mechanic seems to be more about creating "diminishing returns" for your new cities rather than to discourage you from making new cities altogether.

Moderator Action: Two health threads merged.

The penalty for going more cities is not just the tiny hit you take from negative health.
The main penalty is, New tech also becomes proportionally more difficult to acquire. Same with virtues (same as Civ5).

You also get +10% prod, +10% science, +10% culture, +20% outpost growth and -50% covert intrigue gained in your territory for being Utopian (20+ positive health).

I'd guess that some mix of being a bit under health early game and then over health late game is optimal. Makes sense to me. I like it. Health certainly gives a bit more flexibility and is less black&white than Civ5's global happiness.

I think health is just simply renamed happiness.

I took an capital and my health dropped to like -25. I was like eh.

As I see it, the problem is that while there are quite a few things that reduce Health (and often by some substantial amounts), there's damn few things that improve Health. Leastwise, not until waaaaaayyyyyy deep in the tech web = many, many, many turns into the game. In previous Civs, it seems to me that Health effects here is equivalent to the Happiness mechanics back then. But back then, Happiness-makers became available just about when you needed them during a normal, comprehensive, broad spectrum civilization development. Wonders, Temples, Coliseums, Arenas, Luxury resources, etc. all made it possible to keep the people Happy. Here, just what and how many things are available to improve Health? The Clinic is about the only thing that comes to my mind.

Make a ton of biowells in your spy hq capital city and start the propaganda spy agency project. Five spies in your hq amounts to 10% of local healthiness from biowell improvements and buildings added to global health.

In GlobalDefines.xml. Path should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\Gameplay\XML\

Look for these lines:

-<Row Name="UNHEALTH_PER_POPULATION">
<Value>0.75</Value>
</Row>
-<Row Name="UNHEALTH_PER_OCCUPIED_POPULATION">
<Value>1.34</Value>
</Row>
-<Row Name="UNHEALTH_PER_CITY">
<Value>4</Value>
</Row>
-<Row Name="UNHEALTH_PER_CAPTURED_CITY">
<Value>8</Value>
</Row>

In GlobalDefines.xml. Path should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\Gameplay\XML\

Look for these lines:

-<Row Name="UNHEALTH_PER_POPULATION">
<Value>0.75</Value>
</Row>
-<Row Name="UNHEALTH_PER_OCCUPIED_POPULATION">
<Value>1.34</Value>
</Row>
-<Row Name="UNHEALTH_PER_CITY">
<Value>4</Value>
</Row>
-<Row Name="UNHEALTH_PER_CAPTURED_CITY">
<Value>8</Value>