Help extracting an art asset

turingmachine

Emperor
Hi, so I want to use one of the icons from a scenario civ (Fall of Rome - Goths) in a mod I'm making, however I'm not sure how to do this. Copying the Icon_Atlas Index from the XML of the scenario into my mod files doesn't work so the game doesn't seem to be able to just read it.

Is there any way I can extract the Atlas so I can use it as an independent art asset in my mod?

Thanks

The DDS files should be loaded automatically (along with the rest of the artwork) but you won't have the corresponding XML entries so you'll need the <IconTextureAtlas> entries that the scenario adds as well as the <IconAtlas> and <PortraitIndex> entries if the Units/Buildings/Civ/etc definitions

The DDS files should be loaded automatically (along with the rest of the artwork) but you won't have the corresponding XML entries so you'll need the <IconTextureAtlas> entries that the scenario adds as well as the <IconAtlas> and <PortraitIndex> entries if the Units/Buildings/Civ/etc definitions

But that's just my problem.

For example, my mod uses one of the static leaderheads from the Viking DLC scenario. I've told my mod that it needs the Viking DLC, then I directly copied the XML entries concerning the IconAtlas, Potrait, IconTexture, etc.. This worked fine, the leaderhead shows up in my game. I didn't need to have the actual art asset in my mod.

So I'm trying to do the same thing for the Goths Civ Icon from the Fall of Rome Scenario. I told my Mod it needs the G&K expansion. Then I copied the XML entries for the IconAtlas, etc. used in the scenario for the icon into my mod's XML files. However, in this case it does not work. The icon doesn't show up in game and instead it looks like when you reference nothing.

So, any ideas how I can use this icon? If I can't just reference it, is there a way to extract it and load it manually?

Do you have the DLCs turned on under options? Not the button that let's you see them, but the one that is an option when you start the game.

Yes, I own all the DLCs and they're all on by default. I've also told the mod that it needs the Viking DLC and the Expansion.

My only idea is that the specific art asset I want is stored in the scenario folder and the expansion scenario assets aren't loaded when I tell the mod it needs the expansion (though the Viking asset I use is in that DLC's scenario). However, I can't find any art assets in the scenario folder (are they hidden?). I can probably tell the mod that it needs to load the scenario itself, but doing so would completely mess up my mod as it loads all the XML and lua as well.

I'm using some icons from the expansion scenarios, and I don't have problems with it - I don't even have to copy the icon atlas entries from the scenario, as they are already in the database (but I had to copy them when using icons from the Ancient Wonders DLC scenario). You can use the SQLite Manager to check what is in the database and what isn't (Civ5DebugDatabase.db is the one that contains all the GameData content).

Okay, an update.

I've changed the XML potrait index to the icons of the other scenario civs and... they work. So it's not a case of a missing Icon Atlas or art asset.

However, I still can't get the Gothic Icon to appear :/

I'm using some icons from the expansion scenarios, and I don't have problems with it - I don't even have to copy the icon atlas entries from the scenario, as they are already in the database (but I had to copy them when using icons from the Ancient Wonders DLC scenario). You can use the SQLite Manager to check what is in the database and what isn't (Civ5DebugDatabase.db is the one that contains all the GameData content).

Thanks for this as I was going to make a mod using the Ancient Wonders scenario next. I'll look into SQLite Manager. I'm sure it will be a great help.

Top Bottom