• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Help me pick a DVD player

Wolfe Tone

Which Way Did He Go?
I need a new dvd player. Now it's pretty simple to find a player just to play regular dvds but I have a few special requirements. First of all region free would be nice, I have a few region 1 DVDs and a lot of Region 2 DVDs so one player would be nice. The next requirement is the most important. I've noticed that there are some new DVD players that come with a USB port. I was wondering if I can use this USB port to play AVI files (mostly xvid or divx) from an SATA hard drive in an USB enclosure. Most of the specs say that they will read of a USB key, would an external hard drive be incompatible for some reason? If anyone can think of anyother musthave function on a DVD player, feel free to mention it.

If anyone knows a particular model of DVD player that would fufill my requirements I would be most appreciated. It would be especially helpful if anyone could recomend a UK retailer (either online or proper store) where I could aquire such a thing. Reasonbly priced (which I will judge on a case by case basis would also be welcome.)

All dvd players can be unzoned. There's just some kind of key to enter in it. If your retailer is nice, he would tell you how to do. With my dvd player, the guy simply gave me a paper with written what to do on it.

And finally, about the usb port thing, just check in the shop if it has. Frankly, I would go for the cheapest model with it. Nowadays, differences are very thin between them all.

All dvd players can be unzoned. There's just some kind of key to enter in it. If your retailer is nice, he would tell you how to do. With my dvd player, the guy simply gave me a paper with written what to do on it.

And finally, about the usb port thing, just check in the shop if it has. Frankly, I would go for the cheapest model with it. Nowadays, differences are very thin between them all.

Yeah, I'm sure it's easy enough to make a dvd player region free. It's the USB thing I'm most interested in. I know of some dvd players that have a USB port, but I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience in hooking up an external hard drive to it and playing files that way.

I need a new dvd player. Now it's pretty simple to find a player just to play regular dvds but I have a few special requirements. First of all region free would be nice

This is why I really hope HD-DVD wins out. Unlike Blu-ray, HD-DVD is Region Free.

Top Bottom