Help Needed: Installing

lukasbradley

Chieftain
HI,

I wanted to try my first GOTM, but I am asked whether I have installed GOTM 21 first. It seems without it, I am unable to continue. Upon downloading GOTM 21, it asked for a previous GOTM install as well.

Do I have to go back and install all the previous games? Or am I missing something?

Thank you for any and all help.

Lukas

Hi. Welcome to CFC.

It sounds like you are playing on a PC. There are two options at the bottom of the GOTM#21 page, a full installer and an add-on installer. The full installer is over 5 MBytes, and should not need any prior GOTM installations. Did you d/l the add-on instead?

Thank you for the quick reply. I apologize for not giving more information. Yes, I use a PC.

I followed your instructions, and now have the game loaded. You were correctly intuitive on both counts: I downloaded the wrong (not-full) install.

Thanks again, and I'll see you on the leader board. :)

Lukas

Greetings to all. I'm having problems installing & loading gotm games. It started with gotm21 and I can't play any new gotm games now. If someone with wisdom and intuition could offer any advice I'd be extatic (or at least gracious). I'm using PC v1.29, not PTW. I've downloaded gotm21 full install pack, gotm22 pack etc. I can't make the gotm21 installer work properly. It works fine but doesn't install the needed files and so the gotm save file won't work.
I've downloaded the packs twice now, uninstalled and then deleted my civ3 folder and finally again installed from original CD, used the 1.29 patch, used the gotm21 full install pack and tried loading the saved game. I've tried this twice. Every time I've specified the correct folder, where the civilization3.exe file is. Any ideas what to try next? I've used v1.29 versions of packs and saved games at open class.
High King J.J. (polite)

Originally posted by High King J.J.
It works fine but doesn't install the needed files and so the gotm save file won't work.
As in "The operation was a success, but the patient died" :)

As I don't know the PC installer I'm guessing, but I'd be surprised if it can run without error and not copy the files to some location on your system. If so we need to find out where it DID install the files. Maybe you have two Civ3 installations?

Have you tried a Find Files and Folders to see where they went? Try looking for one of the special files like spain.flc. If you find that in a folder called \Art\Flics then it may indicate that the installer is using the wrong destination folder. The \Art should be in the same folder as your civ3 .exe.
[Cautious]

PS Welcome to CivFanatics. Live long and prosper.

Thanks. I'll try looking for those.
It's weird, though, when I run the gotm21 installer it says something like "space needed: 0.1 megs". The full pack is about 6 megs, so if it doesn't need any more space then it's not installing very much...? :hmm:
Still, the installer doesn't complain about anything, like that it couldn't install something etc. I feel like I'm :wallbash:
I'm off now for a weekend with my PC and [civ3]
Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo.

Maybe you should just uninstall everything and download the GOTM21, 22 and 23 gamepacks again and then try installing everything.
Again...
Sorry, but that's all I can think of right now.
The best advice is probably to pm cracker with your problem and hope he knows, a solution/what you did wrong....

Originally posted by High King J.J.
Thanks. I'll try looking for those.
It's weird, though, when I run the gotm21 installer it says something like "space needed: 0.1 megs". The full pack is about 6 megs, so if it doesn't need any more space then it's not installing very much...? :hmm:
Still, the installer doesn't complain about anything, like that it couldn't install something etc. I feel like I'm :wallbash:
I'm off now for a weekend with my PC and [civ3]
Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo.
Sounds like you are installing into a Civ3 location that already has most of GOTM21 files installed (eg the previous game packs?) so it only has to add a few extra files.

Got gotm21 working, too bad it messes the resource graphics. I don't care to play gotm21 now (only monarch level). I tried gotm22 but the game still instantly crashes after loading the gotm22 .sav file succesfully.
Could someone tell me if I need to do anything after installing gotm21 pack, before installing gotm22 pack? Also, with these new resource graphics, is it possible to play normal civ3 games without seeing pearls on hilltops etc. ? If there's a readme file with a gotm install pack explaining all these questions, where is it?
Oh well, I'll never submit a gotm anyway, one month is too short time to play a full length game properly and work/study and even :sleep: sometimes. Enough :rant: ing, I'm off topic.
Good night (either playing civ3 or :sleep: ing).

GOTM22 just added Dal-Riada graphics, the Galloglass unit, and corresponding text files.

You may need to do the Spain fix in your installation. Some installations had folders instead of files for spain1.flc, spain2.flc, spain3.flc etc. There were also a couple of errors in the pediaicons.txt file that caused problems with Japan right at the end of the game. You should be able to use the forum search to find the detailed references.

There's a readme in the "Civilization III/Art/resources storage" folder that explains what to do to switch between standard Civ3 resources and the gotm-special files.

HTH

Top Bottom