Help on Red Front

This is the first time I've played Red Front. It's June 1942 and at first, it seemed I've finally slowed down the German advance, but I loaded the game up in mp and it said the Germans had 1500 units, while I only had 350......

Then I checked the demographics. The Germans have 4 times the GPD, and 3.5 times the production....

Is this supposed to happen?

well,yes..kinda.You should be doing a little better by now though but first time thru,surviving the first summer is a major acheivement.

What you need to do early(first half turn and first full turn),which sets the tone for the rest of the way:

I cant remember which ones:p ,but there are some cities that have units to move and improvements to sell on turn 1(half turn).Find these and sell off what you don't need.1st sell sewers and aquaducts.There is only about 6iirc that can sell on the that half turn.One of the cities producing NKVD troopers can airlift.A couple others as well.You should airlift to Leningrad and Murmansk.On the next turn almost every city should sell an improvement.Pay special attention to cities that will fall.Factories and production should be sold first.Air force bases if any.If you have time sell barracks also.

At the start you must also hire scientists and perhaps taxmen.You need to generate 5000 beakers in the first 2 turns after the Katyusha tech.You desperately need KV-1s...Mobile Warfare 3 iirc.Turn EVERY citizen into a scientist(making sure there are no sheild deficits).Pay no mind to food deficits.You will not lose population until the turn after the food box empties.Return the workers before that turn.No problem.Then you want Schmurtoviks by next spring.After that you have all you need(as far as units) to win the scenario.You can return citizens to work and run a lower tax rate...if you like.

In those first turns you must incrementally rush buy as many units as you can.Barracks are a must.You won't do much without vets in this scenario.

Decide where you are going to hold.A straight line from Leningrad,thru Moscow and on.Kursk and Kharkov.Rostov.Kerch or Perekop.I like to hold at Smolensk in the middle.Pillage all other roads from other areas.Remember,you want to slow them down.Cut roads in forests and what not.Build air force bases and starting airlifting.You want at least 4 vet AA batteries and 3-4 vet KV-1s per front line city.A safe bet to double or even triple that.A good bet I'd say.
Partisans attack with 2x vs units with 0 moves(Hedgehogs)..save them if you can and get them to Leningrad for "The Seige" and Stalingrad for the "pontoon bridge" events.

The first few turns take a long time.There is much to do.

Tricks or cheats:taken in part from Xin Yu's Strategy for Red Front

Fortified positions...you can move these by building a city on them and using a transport to move from city to city.At the beginng there are not many labor brigades.There are 3 in the boonies..way east and 3 at Krasnovishersk iirc.Rush air force bases here and airlift into Lenigrad and Stalingrad.Rush transports near the fortified positions and plan how you will move them.Resupport them.Not too hard..really.At Sevastopol also.There are 2 there that can be moved and 1 that can be built on to block the way to Sevastopol.You need to move quickly if you want the ones on the riverway to Moscow,Several of them are supported from cities that will fall in the first 3 or 4 turns.Try to get fortified postions into Viipuri,Tallinn,Narva,Leningrad,Perekop,Sevastopol,Kerch,Rostov and Voronezh

Rush a 2nd bomber in Moscow and rotate a bomber stack just northwest of Moscow.There is a road on river iirc.Pillage that.The bomber stack will block them..ONLY in summer months.Course you won't be blocking in Winter.Attack.Red Guards....very good in first winter.Ignore tank defenses and move 4 all terrain.

Rush an airbase in UK and Grozny.Airlift freight.
Stack some ships on the mines near UK.Stukas will attack and die in fair numbers early.

Disband or retreat and resupport all red army units in front line cities.Germans get a unit for every one they kill.

These will make it easier but not a certain victory.The Germans have alot of tricks up their sleeves and some major units.Once you have grasp for the scenario,you won't need any of them.

Xin Yu sent me this tidbits:

There are enough cities in the far east to improve so it is not necessary to build cities in order to win.

There are two ways to hold on the front during the first six months. Both are very expensive, hence a lot of city improvements will be sold.

One is to build AA guns and KV-1s and set up defense. The tech for KV-1 can be obtained as early as August 41, hence by September KV-1s should be built. A typical city building sequence is: barracks in July (i.e., start in June), AA battery (front city) or Cavalry (other cities) in August, KV-1 in September.

Another is to build Bombers and Il-2s for counter attack, while building a lot of Cossack Cavalries for cheap defense. Bombers can be built in batches in September 41, and Il-2s in October. The Stukas will try to attack bombers and stuck in the air, thus your cities will be safe from air raid. Il-2s can kill most enemy units easily. A typical city building sequence is: Calvary or barracks in July, Airport in August, Bomber in September, Il-2 in October.

It is not likely that you have the resources for doing both, so you must make a decision early. But no matter what you do, concentrate your forces to certain big cities and give up the others. If you can hold 3-4 big cities (kiev, Smolensk, Rostov, Sevastopol) West of Leningrad-Moscow-Stalingrad line then you'll be in a very good shape when winter comes.

41-42 Winter counter attack: accrue thirty KV-1s and land them next to a Germen city (using transports to ferry them there). Also land some partisans, katyushas, and a couple of labor brigades. Use labor brigades to build a fortress, then wait for the enemy to throw themselves against you. The next turn you'll be able to occupy the city.
You'll be able to recover some cities along the Dniep river and set up defense there.

42 Summer: your bombers and Il-2s will again slaughter the enemy, and now you'll be able to build LA-5 fighters to kill enemy bombers in the air and protect your cities. Further more, your units can be ferried back and forth along the rivers quickly. It should be easier than the previous year.

here is thread where the player is the in exact same situation.

And :) Xin Yu's Strategy for Red Front 1.4

Top Bottom