Help out Greg: Send huge future era saves to 2K!

civnoob13

King
Greg (Civ 5 player, modder, civfanatic, 2K community manager) is looking for some save games in the future era on huge maps. We all want a better game, so I thought I would pass the message on here

Here is the link to his request:
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98438

I have a habit of always saving the turn before victory and overwriting the old save, so I doubt I'll be of much help just yet. But it's good to keep in mind for the next game I play.

EDIT: Didn't see the Huge Map requirement. That might be a bit above my system requirements.

This is quite amusing.

They might need help getting these sorts of saves because their test systems aren't able to generate them (or just take ages to do so, even if running on AI autoplay). :mischief:

This is quite amusing.

They might need help getting these sorts of saves because their test systems aren't able to generate them (or just take ages to do so, even if running on AI autoplay). :mischief:

:lol:

Is that not-so-veiled pot-shot deliberate or intentional :goodjob:?

This is quite amusing.

Well, it also allows for more diverse tests. We're not sure why they want them exactly. It might have to do with gameplay decisions you've done over time. Having consumer submitted saves increases the sample size for tests. I wouldn't read something sinister into this just yet.

Well, it also allows for more diverse tests. We're not sure why they want them exactly. It might have to do with gameplay decisions you've done over time. Having consumer submitted saves increases the sample size for tests. I wouldn't read something sinister into this just yet.

Yeah, that what I'm thinking.

They could look at forums and see who can shout the loudest on features, building, and Wonders, that need to be changed.

Or

They can get some save files from gamer, and see what has been built, or even better what hasn't been built, and make changes.

Both are scary, but i like the second option better.

This is quite amusing.

I believe the guy. They want sheer volume of humanly generated test cases. Fair enough. If they could generate automatically the kind of games humans are able to generate they wouldn't need our help and they'd have probably fixed many AI problems long before now! :lol:

Anyway, modern era saves are fine too.

But I'll have to play strat map only because on normal huge map soon freezes.

:lol:

Is that not-so-veiled pot-shot deliberate or intentional :goodjob:?

Considering that my computer (which isn't exactly crappy but not super powerful either) can barely even manage huge maps (on the vanilla patch my game was crashing almost consistently each turn on only large maps), it wouldn't surprise me if their test systems really did have trouble with these sorts of test scenarios. I suspect they are frustrated by the fact that they pretty much have to leave a test system on overnight just to generate one hugemap game and even then it mightn't be one that creates a particular problem, which will tie into my response to the next reply..

This is true. It's still making use of system resources beyond their own testing facilities, which is clever/practical. The reasons for doing so we can only speculate on, as you said. My speculation is that it's more to do with it being difficult to generate these situations (huge amount of time, not to mention energy costs of running computers to do that sort of thing, and so resources taken up from doing other testing that might be necessary). I think they're trying to hone in on the performance/compatibility issues rather than the gameplay balance type stuff, but it's possible they're going for both of course. :)

Whatever the case, I don't criticise them for taking this step. Nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it. I just find this whole situation a bit amusing, is all. ;)

i just dont get it, why not include standard maps for their sample.. only huge? is there some odd bug related to huge they are trying to pin down and not really trying to improve everything else

huge maps dont do so well on my computer

i just dont get it, why not include standard maps for their sample.. only huge? is there some odd bug related to huge they are trying to pin down and not really trying to improve everything else

huge maps dont do so well on my computer

Emphasis added by me.

That's probably the point. Huge map saves are the ones most likely to cause the game to crash. They're probably still trying to isolate the causes of those crashes.

And as I said earlier, huge map late-game saves are probably by far the hardest to create on test systems, even without human input (i.e. on auto pilot).

That's probably the point. Huge map saves are the ones most likely to cause the game to crash. They're probably still trying to isolate the causes of those crashes.
It has all the flavor of a memory management problem.

Here's the pessimistic speculation: The symptoms are that a game save just prior to a crash works just fine for a while after a crash when the machine has been rebooted. They are very likely not dealing with memory fragmentation properly, and if that's true they may need to improve (or even add) such management. That's likely to require quite a significant re-architecture of part of the infrastructure and a lot of retesting. Net result for us: we won't see a fix for weeks.

Here's the optimistic speculation: It's a memory leak which, once identified, is fixed and everything melts into roses.

An optimistic says we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that the optimist is right.

Please......

Greg is not a Civ5 developer, and doesn't deserve to be labelled one.

I'm sure it was an innocent mistake. I'm sure Greg would tell you he's not a developer if he saw this thread. He is part of the process, though, let's be fair. He has a role to play in Civ5 just like the developers do.

Considering that my computer (which isn't exactly crappy but not super powerful either) can barely even manage huge maps (on the vanilla patch my game was crashing almost consistently each turn on only large maps), it wouldn't surprise me if their test systems really did have trouble with these sorts of test scenarios. I suspect they are frustrated by the fact that they pretty much have to leave a test system on overnight just to generate one hugemap game and even then it mightn't be one that creates a particular problem, which will tie into my response to the next reply..

This is true. It's still making use of system resources beyond their own testing facilities, which is clever/practical. The reasons for doing so we can only speculate on, as you said. My speculation is that it's more to do with it being difficult to generate these situations (huge amount of time, not to mention energy costs of running computers to do that sort of thing, and so resources taken up from doing other testing that might be necessary). I think they're trying to hone in on the performance/compatibility issues rather than the gameplay balance type stuff, but it's possible they're going for both of course. :)

Whatever the case, I don't criticise them for taking this step. Nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it. I just find this whole situation a bit amusing, is all. ;)

Indeed, I have no problem with them using all resources at their disposal to make the game better. If they actually use huge map data to improve overall game performance I will be impressed as I consider that a priority along with the UI and general gameplay balance (Interestingly, my exact same list for civ IV).

Greg's a modder? First time I hear that.

Anyway, I won't be supplying saves since even Large maps are truly painful to play from Industrial onwards to me, I play only Standard with low sea levels.

If i understand what steam cloud is, it basically stores your saves on steams servers, no?

Why dont they create some achievements for large maps in later game times, with the cloud function?

People who enjoy the (useless imo) achievements get more to achieve, and firaxis can get the exact data they seek.

Top Bottom