1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help playing Civ6 (and V)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by fstrick604, Sep 4, 2017.

1. fstrick604

fstrick604 Chieftain

This would be hilarious if it wasn't so expensive. I just got my $1,700 specially made PC to play V and VI. Neither will start. I deliberately am not connected to the internet as I had a very bad experience with Steam some year ago. I bought the discs and the guy handled the installation including the Steam part I thought. But now neither will open. Do I need to be connected to the internet to play these games. I happily play CIV4 on my off line dedicated CIV4 computer. I bought it with XP from Dell after XP was no longer supported. Another problem I belatedly noticed is my Graphics card is fine for VI (GeForce GTX 770), but way inadequate for V. I just assumed. No need to tell me I'm an idiot, I'm aware. But is there a way to play these games off line?

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

You will need to be connected to Steam for installation and then launching your first game. After that you can put Steam in offline mode and play without launching Steam.

Note that the only way to get free patches is to let Steam install them for you. But, again, once they are installed you can revert to offline mode.

3. fstrick604

fstrick604 Chieftain

Thanks Browd, that's very helpful. Does that apply to V and VI?

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Yes, applies to both.

5. fstrick604

fstrick604 Chieftain

Thanks Browd. fs