Help Winning the Historical Way: Korea

Winning the Historical Way is a series of posts where I ask the community for help with some of the tougher UHVs (for me) anyway with the added caveat that it is EXTRA historical. What these means is that I achieve the UHV required while also trying to achieve these goals in descending order of importance:

Building all wonders historically built by the civilization I'm playing
Not building any wonders not historically built by it
Not Changing to civics that do not make historical sense (no Republic for China for example)
Settling or conquering all historical and contested areas
Avoiding settling or conquering all foreign areas.

So I've been reading up on the other suggestions for Korea and it seems crazy hard to do historically. Obviously it's impossible to do completely historically, you need more 4 cities for the Cathedrals, but I'd like to be able to avoid having to conquer the birthplace of anime at least.

I didn't even realize conquest of Japan was the go-to strategy. I settled Sanggyeong in the north and conquered Simiyan hoton / Shenyang / Shimyang for the four cities, which is historical enough for the extent of the at least partly Korean Kingdom of Balhae. I kept Sanggyeong through the end of the game, but you lose Shimyang on the flip to the Mongols.

Historical Victory for Korea is achieved. As mentioned above, you need to conquer Simiyan Hoton for Confucianism, and then put a city northeast of your core. You also need to keep up in tech as well as build the necessary missionaries and churches for the cathedrals, as well as defending Shimyang at least until you've got the cathedrals done. You need to work fast, so despotism is important, but since growth is also important, happiness might be an issue. This is why the Cheomseongdae wonder exists although I'm not quite sure it's absolutely necessary. Once you've got your cathedrals and are confident you will win the tech race, Focus on turtling so the Mongols don't see you as an easy target. Once you are sure you're safe and have completed the two other goals the game is yours. Building Koboksons to attack Japan is boring but necessary. (I must admit though the outside world was unusually tumultous this game, with China being very behind in tech and the Mongols collapsing relatively early).

As the Kingdom of Korea stands proud amidst a sea of turmoil and suffering in the world, it's dedication to learning and defense will ensure it stays independent and whole for all time.

Top Bottom