Help With CIV 3 Editor

i'm not sure if this is in the right place, but i couldn't find where to put it...
i have a Civ3 with an editor version 1.6.0.1, on a Windows XP. I've been able to use the editor to make maps, add civilizations, and add technologies. But whenever I try to change a unit, then run the game, as soon as i try building one of this unit, the game performs "an illegal operation" and quits. I've tried giving the unit a new name and new properties, but the same icon, and that hasn't worked either. any suggestion?

Hello. Welcome :wavey:

Have you added the new unit to the pediaIcons.txt file?

no, actually all i did was take a unit I would not be using--(namely musketman, because I had disabled all technolgies including and after gunpowder in that game) and change the icon (though I also tried it keeping the icon the same) and also I changed such stats as range, attack power, etc. I made a new technology (replacing gunpowder and available at the start of the game) a prereq for this unit. I am able to research this tech, but once I go to my city and click to build this unit, it brings up the illegal operation message.
If I need to add it to a certain file, could you explain how I do this?
Thanks!

I'm not a modder, so I'll probably confuse you more. If you left the modified unit with the original name - Musketman - and kept the same icon names for its graphics, then I don't think you need to change any other files. If you changed any of the file names for the unit then you'll need to change references in pediaIcons.txt and/or in the .ini file in that unit's folder, or the game won't be able to find the files and bad things will happen.

Do you have either an error message from the game software, or an OS X craash report?

keeping the name as musketman worked...but if i change the pediaIcons.txt, can i change it just for this one scenario? I want to be able to play civilization normally too.
The error message is the computer's one, not the game software.
Thanks for the help!

keeping the name as musketman worked...but if i change the pediaIcons.txt, can i change it just for this one scenario? I want to be able to play civilization normally too.
Yes. Look here, and especially here, for info on adding units. This is a general list of the tutorials available here about modifying the game. Questions along the lines of yours should be posted in the General Creation and Customization forum; it's perfectly ok to start a new thread with a question if you don't find a thread about it already ongoing.

PS: Welcome to the family. I love my Mac, but use a PC for map making, etc. Feel free to ask any questions about civ on a Mac, or cross-platform issues here.

Top Bottom