Hemp/Cannabis Resource

Dampier

Chieftain
Just wondering if the reason for its non-inclusion is the fact that it's illegal. I can't think of more important resource that is not in the game.

I guess it would be like a super resource, maybe too unbalancing. Hmm, I'm thinking:

• required to build sailing ships
  • + happiness
  • - hammers
  • + health
  • + food

Suggestions?

Anyone else think cannabis hemp should be in the game in some way?

I dont know if you could make a case that its more important then say...coffee, tobacco, cotton (though i guess the sheep in the game cover that), and if we're talking drugs...opium.

yeah.. something about having Caesar demanding nachos from me isnt appealing...

I believe it's covered under "spices". :)

Seriously though, most illegal drugs were (and still are) traded as apocathary remedies of exotic species of plants before chemistry purified them and turned them into scouges of civilizations.

In terms of climate, availability, and general effect, Hashish and other narcotics and simulants (coca, caffeene, etc) all fall under the same general category of "spices".

I imagine that having your civilization collapse in on itself upon discovering chemistry while having access to spices would be one of those "unfun" things that they purposefully left out of the game.

*this information brought to you by the History Channel's special on the history of drugs*

Canabis and canvas share the same root word. For a very very long time (and even today) hemp was what ships sails were made of. In historical terms its one of the most important resources from yesteryear. It was also used in ships rigings extensively. With out it the world would be very diffrent.

Canabis and canvas share the same root word. For a very very long time (and even today) hemp was what ships sails were made of. In historical terms its one of the most important resources from yesteryear. It was also used in ships rigings extensively. With out it the world would be very diffrent.

Getting players seaborne is hard enough without a resource requirement on boats.

Give it a +1 movement bonus. Not to be used as a prerequisite for seafaring.

Give it a +1 movement bonus. Not to be used as a prerequisite for seafaring.
I dunno, if the ship's crew all had access to cannabis, wouldn't it make the ship slower? ;)

I dont know if you could make a case that its more important then say...coffee, tobacco, cotton (though i guess the sheep in the game cover that), and if we're talking drugs...opium.

I disagree. I think hemp was the most important resource, certainly of the three you mention. Cloth was made with hemp for thousands of years before cotton. Hempseed was also a valuable and nutritious food source. Not to mention the medicinal value, strong ropes and sails for ships, and let's not forget that hemp paper preceded wood pulp paper by about 2000 years.

I just think it's an obvious omission, unless like someone else said it was grouped under Spices. Still I don't see it as a spice, more like incense, maybe?

Seriously though, most illegal drugs were (and still are) traded as apocathary remedies of exotic species of plants before chemistry purified them and turned them into scouges of civilizations.

In terms of climate, availability, and general effect, Hashish and other narcotics and simulants (coca, caffeene, etc) all fall under the same general category of "spices".

I imagine that having your civilization collapse in on itself upon discovering chemistry while having access to spices would be one of those "unfun" things that they purposefully left out of the game.

I was thinking more of its use as food and in textiles than its narcotic properties. In the ancient world, right up to 18th and 19th centuries, hemp was used for clothing and food, as well as an intoxicant.

I just downloaded the mod Total Realism and it has hemp in there along w/ a bunch of other resources. Awesome mod! I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this one.

Why not include Poppy, and Coca too?

They are the major exports of the nations they are cultivated in.

Just imagine building the world wonders Kleenex and Needle Exchange.

Needle Exchange grants you a free rehab clinic in every city on that continent.

Kleenex is just so your Leader Doesn't appear in the Trade Screen with a runny nose.

Hemp was the largest crop in the United States after cotton, and it wasn't a drug (although some different varieties of hemp can be). It was the main component of rope, canvas, paper and sacking until very recently, and used to be more common than cloth for textiles.

Heh, I'd like to see it! But then with some technology you discover in the Modern Age, suddenly it goes from benefiting your Civ greatly, to rotting it from the inside out!

Heh, I'd like to see it! But then with some technology you discover in the Modern Age, suddenly it goes from benefiting your Civ greatly, to rotting it from the inside out!

How exactly would it rot the civ from the inside out?

Hmmm... gee... because smoking the stuff these days does that to people?

Ok so what did smoking it 100, 500, 1000, 5000 years ago do to people?

Have you ever smoked it or are relying on the propaganda disbursed by the government? Are all pot smokers worthless ******s? Do you think that a pot smoker could be a productive member of sociaty maybe owning their own buisness?

I have countless... countless examples of scared, paranoid, shells of people that only live for the next bong.

Plus i have done it... and to me, it amplifies every single dormant and not-so dormant trait we personally each have...

You can get the hemp resource regardless of your climate once you get the civilization advance 'Hydroponics' :)

Something tells me it would be -food though. Or at least - Mars Bars and Chicken Nuggets.

I have countless... countless examples of scared, paranoid, shells of people that only live for the next bong.

Plus i have done it... and to me, it amplifies every single dormant and not-so dormant trait we personally each have...

And I have countles numbers of fully functioning people who contribute to the world. Marijuana is not addicting. Those people who live only for the next bong hit have deeper mental issues that have nothing to realy do with the marijuana. Those paranoid shells of people are not indicitive of the million upon millions of pot smokers around the world. By your reasoning the Netherlands should be a third world nation. Universaties would have a failure rate thousands of times more then it is.

But hemp and marijuana are not the same.

In later eras in the game a hemp reasource would still net a positve even very late game. Since its bio-mass could be used as fuel. It would be good for those cives who can't get oil. It could act as a oil reasource when you get enviromentalism.

Top Bottom