Heralds will not work...

BIG_EASY

Chieftain
Need Help.....Since I upgraded to MGE my heralds will not work.

I can see them but the don't move. they worked before the upgrade. What I am getting now is there body with a pink backgrown. :confused:

I know I don't need this but was woundering what went wrong and can it be fixed.

Thank for any help.

:king:

My heralds and advisors have never worked. can anyony advise me?

My heralds have never worked either. Advisors and Wonders are fine so I find it hard to believe the trouble is with the driver.:cry:

You don't have to belive me, but I am telling you that it fixed my problem. Now my computer is 13 monhts old and a Dell 2.4 ghz, I have the latest video driver released for my card. :beer:

Why would I lie about this, it fixed my problem and I am sorry yours is still not. :sad:

Install the codec. You have nothing to lose.

And you do have them turned on in the graphics option, right? IIRC, you should have received a message when you installed Civ2 whether you wanted the heralds or not. Maybe it's a problem with the INI file. You could try deleting (or temporarily renaming) the civ.ini file in the Windows directory.

Sorry Big Easy. I certainly didn’t mean to imply that a new driver was not your problem. You have to excuse me for being a bit doubtful that it would solve mine. Over the years I have installed the game on three computers including one brand new Windows 98 and one brand new Windows Me model. OK so I am naive to think that new computers have suitable drivers?
Thanks for the suggestions Mercator. (Yes I do have Animated Heralds ticked). I will work on them. I have always been able make the heralds animate by clicking the AVI files in the Kings directory. That is what they should do in meetings, right?

The reason why your new computer may not have suitable drivers is because Civ2 is an old game, so it will actually need a codec that is properly backwards compatible.

It can very well be the case that "normal" media players can play the file just fine, while Civ2 can't play them because it expects to be using an old codec, or tries to call the codec in an outdated fashion.

On the Ligos website, they actually mention this package includes "legacy codecs". Something Windows XP would likely not include, simply because the vast majority would not be using any programs that are so old they actually need this legacy support.

Top Bottom