1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hex Conquer and Release

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by Rozumiyko, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

wow, this is exactly the kind of mod i have been waiting for. Can't wait to try it out.

Reading the comments, I think Citadel might need looking into. I totally agree that building one near an enemy city is cheap. What about when it's on the border? I wouldn't want to lose it in a peace treaty if I placed it at the borders of my land and the person from whom the land was taken...

2. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

What's the best way to incorporate this into an existing mod? I've never added in Lua to a mod before. I looked at adding it to the content list under mod properties, but none of the categories seemed to apply.

3. Taa

Taa Warlord

hmm..maybe Im stupid but in early game how do I capture a tile?
    Just stay on a tile and wait?

Thanks for enlighten me :D

Ref point 3 in details first post:
    A plot can be conquered by the unit if an adjacent plot does not have:
    a) an enemy unit
    b) a city
    c) a citadel

Does this only work on enemy plots?

4. abj9562

abj9562 Warlord

Will this work in conjunction with cultural diffusion which also has a combat hex ownership capability. Are they two completely separate processes where either method could take ownership of the hex. Or will it get completely confused on when to own and when to give back or flip?

5. Nutty

Nutty Deity

From post #18:

6. abj9562

abj9562 Warlord

Sorry about that I am guilty of not reading the thread completely. (Hanging my head in shame.)

7. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

Not at all :). While the mods function together, actual gameplay results haven't been discussed much, afaik.

Both mods have their own rules for tile acquisition and release. This mod's is pretty specific (see the details in the first post) and doesn't take into account the possibility tiles may flip back due to the culture ratio (it's designed for vanilla mechanics). Instead, it uses a distance based formula to determine borders after war ceases. That's great, because (under vanilla conditions) you can go to war for territory and plan around those rules.

Using the two mods together can yield some interesting results with a LOT of (re)flipping occurring during a war. Maybe too much for personal taste, unless you tweak some default values in cultureDefines.lua (for Cultural Diffusion) to make it more stable. Not that the more random nature is a bad thing... but what happens is that, on conquest, you effectively override tile ownership due to culture and then immediately reevaluate that at the end of the turn. This is, of course, assuming you have tile flipping enabled ;)

Look into both mods' lua files to see how they function and what can be easily tweaked. Both are well commented. IIRC, Cultural Diffusion has a 'tile lock' value which locks ownership for a certain number of turns after conquest (a rather high value... 10 to 15?). That setting would be inactive with the tile conquest method disabled in favor of Hex Conquer and Release. Thus, you get constant flipping and a ton of notifier spam. At least, that's my impression of what happens.

I would suggest setting up some quick duel type map conditions to try both mods alone and then together to observe the results and get a feel for what happens in combination (and what might need adjustment). Just started doing so myself after not playing for a while.

8. Prometheus_tss

Prometheus_tss Chieftain

does that works on an advanced already save game if I enable?

9. KuntaSS

KuntaSS Chieftain

Is there a way to make it so I can capture neutral tiles, so for example I could use some early scouts or melee to claim lux resources or expand borders?

10. KuntaSS

KuntaSS Chieftain

Will commenting out the line:

if( ownerPlayerID < 0) then return false end -- cannot conquer a neutral plot

Allow for conquering neutral?

I assume you just tell it to return true instead of false, right?

11. ComradeKristov

ComradeKristov Warlord

How can I get this mod to work with other LUA & DDL mods? I have it installed and Revolutions is working just fine (not your mod obviously) but this mod is not working. I'm a mod whore though and that may be the problem. I could give you a list of my active mods but many of them are just my little xml mods. The only big ones are Revolutions and all of the mods needed for that, and superpower mod V5

12. CCruise

CCruise Chieftain

One of the best mods I have ever seen for Civ V.
    :hug:

13. Estebanium

Estebanium Prince

Hello, Rozumiyko.
    Even though I'm afraid that you might never read this, I'd like to ask if I can publish a modified version of your modification? My customization makes it possible for the notifications to be translated into any language with a simple language file.
    I moved your text strings into one file and added the German translation into another. I would be happy to hear from you and hope to get the permission from you.

14. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

15. Estebanium

Estebanium Prince

That is nice, I know a different system from other communities.

16. Tonas1997

Tonas1997 Chieftain

I second KuntaSS's suggestion. Would be really cool to be able to "conquer" tiles - which would be assigned to the nearest city - without having to settle; the mechanics would largely remain the same, except for the fact neutral (unclaimed) tiles could also be conquered by military units. Not sure if that would be balanced enough for the AI though.

The Fortress Borders mod already implements a somewhat similar solution, but I reckon it would be incompatible with HCR (and nevermind the fact one fortress for 7 tiles would lead to spamming).

17. Ghiznuk

Ghiznuk Chieftain

Oh waow !!!

18. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Warlord

I've modified your great mod to only capture hexes when adjacent to friendly territory, and add to the VP warscore. Do you mind if I share it while giving credit?

Tekamthi likes this.
  19. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

usadefcon1 likes this.
  20. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Warlord

please share! that sounds perfect.

adan_eslavo and Tekamthi like this.