1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hex Conquer and Release

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by Rozumiyko, Jan 6, 2013.

1. KnelRivendare

KnelRivendare Warlord

Simply Great! :goodjob:

this adds so much to the Gameplay and Immersion- it makes the Borders so much more dynamic-

that your troops are really conquering enemy lands tile by tile, like an actual frontline, and after the war is over as it often happens in real, some small parts of the enemy land can get annexed.

i wonder why it has such few downloads

2. Rozumiyko

Rozumiyko Chieftain

I am greatly pleased to hear such a positive feedback from you. This is the best reward for my work.

This is a new mod created be a newly registered member on this forum. This is why people are not sure whether they can trust my creation. The current version of the mod was posted for downloading exactly one month ago. Then it took another week for the moderators to approve it. So, it has been available for three weeks for actual downloading. Currently it is 23 downloads during 20 days. I think that the rate of "downloads per day" will increase. The current rate is comparable with the rate of other popular mods which have been there for one or two years. So I am very positive about this. Feedback is 100% positive, and no bugs have been found/reported so far. :)

3. FramedArchitect

FramedArchitect Reluctant Modder

I think this mod would have a great reception on the Steam Workshop; I wish you would share it there so more people could enjoy it.

4. Rozumiyko

Rozumiyko Chieftain

I believe that there is no reason to underestimate civfanatics.com which is the greatest Civilization community in the world. Furthermore I see plenty of technical (and maybe political) reasons why I wouldn't trust Steam.

5. jacktannery

jacktannery Prince

Just used this mod (with Gedemon's culture mod and 'Cultural Diffusion: Tile conquest' disabled) in my last game and it worked a treat. Good job! Recommended.

6. jacktannery

jacktannery Prince

I have discovered a problem using this mod (with Gedemon's culture mod and 'Cultural Diffusion: Tile conquest' disabled). Not sure whether the problem is you or gedemon.

The issue is when I placed a citadel next to the enemy capital. The citadel tile reverted back tot he enemy, and I was never able to hold it again (even if my unit was inside the citadel) and the citadel always damaged my units only.

7. Rozumiyko

Rozumiyko Chieftain

Hi jacktannery. This issue is in my mod. According to my design, a city has higher priority than a citadel, so the city regains its adjacent tiles. If you have the save file which I can use to reproduce the issue, please share it with me. Let me know which decision you think might be the best in this case. How do you think the city and citadels should handle the disputable adjacent tiles? Thanks for reporting the issue.

8. jacktannery

jacktannery Prince

To be honest, I think your system is better because it disables an exploitative strategy to use against the AI (erect a citadel next to their capital city). It might be worth stating that this exploit will no longer work with your mod.

9. Rozumiyko

Rozumiyko Chieftain

I wanted to say the same thing. I believe that generally it is not a good idea to build citadels adjacent to the enemy's city. As far as I remember, AI never does that, but the human players do it to capture enemy's land. However, technically the game allows you to do this, and I think I should find a better solution on how to handle this case in my mod. I think that the optimal solution would be to let the city regain every adjacent tile unless that tile has an enemy citadel. This is not the issue about implementing it. This is about the design decision. So I would like to hear more opinions about improving any part of the design.

10. Mujadaddy

Mujadaddy Geheim Grammar Polizei

This looks incredible, Rozumiyko. Grabbing this as soon as I get home, and posting for the first time in many years!

11. AtomicGrizzly

AtomicGrizzly Chieftain

Wow, this mod looks great. Can't wait to try it out.

As I was reading the description I kept saying things to myself: "wow, this is the coolest mod ever!", and, "omg if this does what it says it does and does it well, I'm gonna cry tears of extreme joy". Well I didn't say the second thing, but at least you're flattered now, right?

12. Rozumiyko

Rozumiyko Chieftain

I am! :D

13. Cvv

Cvv Chieftain

14. Bridger

Bridger Prince

Only found this mod based on some random comment in another thread about "hex capture and release." Does this still work with BNW?

15. Rozumiyko

Rozumiyko Chieftain

It works great with BNW!

16. Bridger

Bridger Prince

Ever consider putting it on the workshop? I had no idea how many mods only existed in threads here on Civfanatics.

17. Rozumiyko

Rozumiyko Chieftain

This very same question was discussed on this page above.

18. FramedArchitect

FramedArchitect Reluctant Modder

Well, technically there was no discussion... I made a suggestion, it was rejected. :/

19. Bridger

Bridger Prince

That's all well and good, but the only result is that people who might play and enjoy your mod don't get to. I get asked a lot what mods I use with Civ V, and I always give a list, but I can't recommend yours because it's not found on the workshop. It's simply too much work to explain "google this exact phrase, then download it, then open your my documents/my games/civilization 5/mods folder, then copy the contents, then launch the game." Everything else is on the workshop, so that's what get's recommended, and it's a shame :(

20. bc1

bc1

It's everyone's own free choice to consider Steam workshop as a monopoly on their Civ V mod use. But several modders, such as whoward69 (hundreds of mods) and myself (only one mod :lol:), have decided not to use Steam workshop: and several thousand of users have found the way to download and use our mods... which proves it's not as impossible as it might seem :lol:
    Happy holidays