Hint: How to disable Depth of Field

GAGA Extrem

Emperor
A little hint for those who dislike the "Depth of Field" effect in BE that makes the map blurry on the upper edge of the screen: Go to "Advanced" graphics setting and set "Overlay Quality" to anything except high.

Hope that saves you a few needless restarts!
Fly save! Live long and prosper! :scan:

A little hint for those who dislike the "Depth of Field" effect in BE that makes the map blurry on the upper edge of the screen: Go to "Advanced" graphics setting and set "Overlay Quality" to anything except high.

Hope that saves you a few needless restarts!
Fly save! Live long and prosper! :scan:

Any reason this wouldn't work? No matter what I change the overlay quality to, the depth of field effect remains. It's really brutal, too, blurs everything not in the exact center. =/

Edit: found it, it's an option in a txt config file.

Can you put which one and where it is because I can't see a damn thing in this game because of that fog (and having to drop the resolution to 1024x768 just to read the text because 1280x720 doesn't exist for some reason.)

Oh stratview... you could have saved all of this trouble.

edit: That's another thing. WHY DID THEY MAKE THE GAME FUZZY??? What sense does that make? That feels like a big middle finger RIGHT AT ME! "You want strat view because of your eyes? Well HERE! Have some "artistic" fuzz just so you can have an even harder time playing! While we're at it, we'll even shine a light on the top third of the screen so you REALLY can't see anything because we love your money and we hate you personally for bugging us as much as you did."

I mean I know that's not the reason they did it but I'm steamed and I needed to vent.

Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\GraphicsSettings.ini
Open it with a texteditor and change "Enable DoF = 1" to 0.

Thanks so much, Ryika. That fuzz along with the border made it impossible for me to play BE without getting a screaming headache.

edit: and you have saved this game for me. Thank you so much! If you happen to find out how to get rid of that top-border, I'd be much obliged. I turned off DoF, blurryui, and the one above that but that stupid border is still there.

Sorry for the confusion then. Apparently setting everything to "low" and then upping it again disabled DOF without re-enabling it again (for some reason). So it seemed my connection with overlay details was bogus.
So thanks for clearing that up and: Godspeed!

I want to award you with all the cookies in the world.

DOF has to be the worst graphical effect, it doesn't make things look better it makes everything worse! Wth even use it in a map based strategy game?

Thanks for the tip, I may have to try this! Sure, the effect is nice, it makes the alien atmosphere seem more dense and such. It also really makes popup windows "pop" when they contrast the blurry background.

However, I found myself frustrated quite a few times during popup windows (I think particularly the quest ones) when I couldn't see my yields and totals along the top bar to help me decide what to do. Even hovering the mouse over them in hopes of a tooltip didn't work.

OMG THANK YOU!!!
NOW I can see!1

+1 for the hero. I already wear glasses for my vision too, so that was really messing me up.

What were they thinking? Not even an option in game to disable this crap.

Thanks for the help!

You probably want to change this line in same file also:

Enable UIBlur = 0

You probably want to change this line in same file also:

Enable UIBlur = 0

Thanks, I was actually just going to ask about this. :) I gave the depth of field another chance today, but no, I think I rather have everything crisp and clear. Plus, perhaps it'll give a small performance boost with it disabled, though, things have been running well so far.

So, does that disable the entire blur when a popup window appears? Or, does it just disable the UI elements, like the top bar? Well, I guess I'll find out in a minute.

EDIT: Okay, just restarted the game with both settings disabled. MUCH better!! (Disabling the 2nd setting disables all the blur behind a popup window.)

I disabled the UI Blur, DOF and both Blooms. Game looks Beautiful now, so longer ugly and depressing.

Top Bottom