Hints That Religion Won't Be Returning?

It's not something that *must* spread to be effective but rather a behavior principle that should influence as many features as Science, Social Growth, Politics & Economics, for example.
As a mechanic for progress - Religion sure is one of the basic foundations of Humanity's history.
Not having "it" in a civilization game is a weird contradiction at the intellectual level.
I prefer intelligent fun to *only* boring linear Kill'hem'all activities.

If they bring it back, it shouldn't be a guaranteed mechanic for progress of any kind, as it isn't like this in reality also.
Together with fitting SP-decisions like freedom of speech aso. it of course could bring progress, but together with more fascistic SP-decisions it should be what is then: A tool of oppression and reaction, which only gets numbers up together with the strong police necessary then.

But I'm not missing much, if they never bring it up.

You know, Religion could be its own wincon, where the goal is to have, say, 90% of the world's population following a religion you founded. You could "improve" your religion to provide bonus happiness or hammers or something to entice people to join it, in addition to the old missionary spamming...

Isabella had a cross in her crown in Civ4 too while in game she was almost always a buddhist.
This. Isabella holding a cross doesn't indicate that they are not going to include religion in the future. They can update the graphics or can leave them as they are like they did in cIV.

You know, Religion could be its own wincon, where the goal is to have, say, 90% of the world's population following a religion you founded. You could "improve" your religion to provide bonus happiness or hammers or something to entice people to join it, in addition to the old missionary spamming...

Hey, that makes sense. If CS are sooooo important to a Diplo-Win (through dumping a bunch of timely Golden Alliances towards their precious UN votes), there's reason to believe any "Religious_like" concept could open up a direct path to a Philosophical Victory. What's Culture, anyway?
Imagine the whole gameplay elements probabilities for a split second please.

Again, **IF** such a new feature is well designed, balanced and carefully planned and_or integrated within the current state of affairs.
We haven't even touched Espionage (Diplomacy is already somehow "broken", right?) & Corporations (No true Financial Win, btw) stuff yet.

Rational expansion towards some extra gimmicks or static_WARS_only game, your choice.

Byzantines had a Christian symbol as their flag in CIV and this would never stop them from founding Buddhism.

Is anyone else interpreting some things (like how Isabella is holding a cross or how Gandhi's intro makes reference to the religions founded in India in RL) as a sure sign that religion will NOT be released in a future expansion? In the case of the former let's say there's a game where Isabella ends up founding Islam. I can't imagine a company wanting to take the risk of having a supposed founder of Islam always dragging around that Christian cross when it doesn't really need to. As for the latter, it just seems slightly awkward to think that we can read that and then 5 minutes later BAM! Judaism is founded in Delhi. What do you think?

But that's assuming that religion would work in more-or-less the same way as it did in CivIV.

The elephant in the room is that the majority of religious people wouldn't care about something so petty as graphics in a PC game ... except for the followers of one particular faith who we have to avoid offending at all costs lest they explode bombs in our country.

I'd bet that they do plan on adding religion. This along with espionage. The problem, is based on Firaxis's recent sales practices I bet religion will cost over $20.

I hope someone will mod pastafarism in, and that Isabella will then hold a plate of spaghetti :D.

so moderators are allowed to troll?

or is this the civ fanatics only-if you're-an-atheist discussion board?

Moderator Action: If you think a post is trolling (even if the post is by a moderator) please report it, it's much more helpful than replying in such a manner. Thanks. :)

He makes a humorous suggestion, and he's trolling? How exactly is he offending people by hoping that someone will mod in a religion?

Yes, I'm an atheist (or perhaps an agnost), and personally, I don't see much difference between, say, Christianity and FakeReligion369 of the Gigantic Ctulhu Overlord, but that's a little besides the point...

Well, if people are offended by the mere mention of pastafarism, then they should be confined to a dungeon... Or something... Really, are you honestly offended The_J's statement?

I hope none of you are going to be obtuse about this: Pastafarianism is a parody religion created to explain the ludicrousness of creationist thoughts, and exposing lack of falsifiability, as well as that other thing where you have to have a reason to start positing something.
Out side of debate, it is nothing more than mockery. I am offended because
1. mocking others is, in fact, offensive. It should be even to those not being made fun of.
2. because this mod is trigger happy with the infraction function

Top Bottom