HN02-A The Pacifist Power of Religion

Converting someone to our religion and keeping people happy by changing civics and trading does not sound evil to me. Are we asking anyone to attack anyone else? Are we asking anyone to dislike anyone else?
We are responsible for our actions, we are not responsible for the actions of others (or the irrational hatreds and prejudices programmed into AI behaviour).

Edit: this is of course being disingeneous. We would be selective in our friendship and we have a reasonable idea howthe AI is likely to react. It is nonetheless in keeping with our variant.

Off topic/lurking

"LTB" whispers a sinister voice
"Ye..Yess?"
"I am your father. Come to the Dark Side my son"
"Ackkk!! It's Cosmichail! Save me!"

Now that made me larf. "Luke, I am your Father. Together as Father and son we will conquer the universe". ESB (The universe now that's a huge ambition I'd be happy with a galaxy myself.)

Isn't odd though in life no matter how we try to stay in the good, darkness or evil always plays a role in balancing things out. Remember the Star Trek Episode where (ok this is really giving my age away) Jim has a transporter accident and is split up in good and evil Without his evil half he couldn't do anything and was afraid of everything. So like everything in the universe to the positive there must always be negative to balance it.

Cosmichael/LuvToBuild, welcome to the Twilight Zone.

Sir Quentin, the Twilight Knight

Soon to die
yet no sign of it
in the cicada's chirp

Basho​

Once again I find myself in the courtyard of the Mahabodhi sitting with my old friend the plum tree. We have seen some five thousand autumns since the Lady was among us to reveal the Noble Path. Some two hundred generations have come and gone, so many that I cannot recall all the faces, I am not sure that they remember mine.
The romans remain true to the teachings. Recently we have learned of many other races and civilisations from distant and as yet unknown lands. Some appear to regard us with emnity. They profess different understandings of the transmaterial world; other aspects of the truth or other aspects of the illusion?
I feel somewhat melancholic this evening, thoughts buzz round like fruitflies. Mayhap I am on the verge of the spiritual breakthrough that has eluded me these past millenia. More likely it is indigestion.
The acolyte pigswill is journeying to Goa to visit old friends Thus it falls to me to make an accounting of my term of stewardship.

In 1400 Cyrus of the persians agreed a trade treaty whereby we would supply him with ivory in exhange for cattle and six gold ingots. There was something of a reform within the temples and they have embraced 'Organised Religion'. The people of Zhou have began to organise a colonial expedition to the deserts in the centre of our island saying that new techniques of irrigation would enable them to sustain themselves and mayhap exploit the iron deposits in the desert.

In 1406 the city of Bangalore completed the lighthouse there and began to construct a harbour. Perhaps in imitation the city of Calcutta began to construct a harbour even though they had galleys incomplete on the slipways. Cyrus has changed his religious affiliation to Judaism.

In 1412 we met with the trade envoys of Julius Ceaser and we agreed to supply the romans with ivory in exchange for furs and five gold ingots.

In 1418 the city of Bombay completed a courthouse and began to construct an aqueduct. A scientist whose name I do not recall opened an academy in Bombay. The people of Calcutta in some spirit of rivalry perhaps increased the council of sages there in the hope that at sometime another great scientist would emerge. We discovered the secret of musical compositions; it seemed that other cultures either had already discovered this or did not value it highly. In one of these interminable academic squabbles the guild of sages forsook the arts to pursue the study of machinery. Madras began to establish a missionary band.

In 1436 the people of Lahore finally completed a lighthouse and began to work on a courthouse for their local magistrates.The persians sent a colonial expedition to our island and they began to search for a suitable site for a new city. Last reprts indicate that they are in the south of the island but have not yet founded a city.

In 1448 we met with a delegate from Mansa of the Malinese and agreed a mutual opening of borders. The settlers from Zhou set out to establish their desert colony and the Zhou council arranged to continue work on the harbour there. Banaglore completed a harbour and began to construct a barracks to train the local militias.

In 1454 a missionary group departed Madras and Madras began to construct a forge. The settlers from Zhou established the city of Karachi to the north of the iron deposits.

In 1460 the missionaries arrived from Madras at Karachi and established true knowledge of the Buddha's teachings. The council of sages completed the study of machinery and began to study optics, they advised me that this would enable navigational instruments that would allow the possibility of voyaging beyond our coastline. The settlers in Karachi had not yet started to develop the iron deposists to the south.

I suggest trying to pick up a tech like Divine Right after Optics. We could probably trade that to JC for a military tech like Feudalism. Optics is good for getting some caravels out soon but after that we should try to research things that JC won't be discovering at the same time.

Here's an updated roster:

Current Roster:
LuvToBuild -> fifth round completed
pigswill -> fifth round completed
Krockel -> autoskip
FoolontheHill -> UP
omurtag -> on deck

Quiet set again....

1466AD - Start library in Goa. Washington's golden age ends.

1472AD - Harbor completes in Zhou, start temple.

1478 - 1484AD - :coffee:

1490 AD - Temple complets in Zhou, start a missionary (timing it to complete before the first caravel is done).

1496 AD - Optics finished, start DR. Start caravels in Delhi and Madras.

1502AD - Catherine demands 130 gold. I consider this for a while and finally decide to give in. She is tops on the power chart and already predisposed to dislike us because of the different religions. I give in and she goes from cautious to pleased.

Start temple in Bangalore.

Spiral Minaret is BIFAL.

1508 AD - Start forge in Bombay.

1514 AD - Iron mine completes.

1520AD - Caravel will complete in Delhi in one turn. A missionary is there waiting. Caravel will complete in Madras in 3 turns and there are a couple of missionaries being built so one should be ready by then.

I'd keep building a lot of caravels I think. A big navy may be important for us later, both to spread the faith and for a strategic advantage when someone goes after us.

Cyrus had a settler walking around for most of the set. Wasn't anything I could do about him but watch. In a strange AI move, he plants it here....

It will probably flip to us at some point. I would disband it when it does.

Save is attached.

Not much to be done about the AI trying to take the frozen lands down south. I don't see any point in causing ourselves extra maintenance costs trying to cover the continent. I'm glad pigswill grabbed our initial iron before Cyrus came wondering through the countryside. On the upside, he can bust the fog for us down there and let us pull our guys back. Maybe we should even do that now and let the barbs come back to give him trouble. :satan:

Here's an updated roster:

Current Roster:
LuvToBuild -> on deck
pigswill -> fifth round completed
Krockel -> autoskip
FoolontheHill -> fifth round completed
omurtag -> UP

:satan: Hmm pulling the fog-busters sounds like a good plan. Got it.

I am sorry guys, It turned out that I won't be able to play my turnset this weekend, please skip me.

I see that you are without a player for some time. I have two SG's that wrapped up this week and wonder if you would like another player.

If you want to go ahead and play for omurtag Cosmichail that's fine with me. I meant to get to it Sunday night. Monday night I forgot it was my turn until later in the evening and then it was too late to play. Last night I wanted to get to it and SGOTM02 but only had time to get to SGOTM02. Sorry for the hold up guys.

Welcome Cosmichael; remember we're the nice guys in this game!

Thanks guys you make me feel welcome. I can play tonight after work about 9pm eastern daylight if that's ok. Meanwhile I read the posts and get the jest of the where we are at in the game.

T1

Delhi finish caravel start aqueduct health pretty ikky there.
Put the peaceful missionary on a boat. Hope he brought his seasick pills. Up and down, side to side…….

Not sure where he is heading but out into the unknown.

T2

Hatty asks for OB and oblige. She got a weird look her face man. Like what’s up with us. Think we are looking a bit skinny maybe.

T3

AHhh I think this is turn three. Hope so.

Another BM is going the opposite direction to spread the word.

T4

Cathy ask for OB and oblige, who can say no to a beauty winking at you.
Got slapped though when I asked for Feudalism. She’s got spunk that’s for sure.

T5

Barb took out our galley and clams me thinks
Bangalore starts a granary health breaking even

T6

Calcutta is starting now a forge. Very slowly things there going.

T7

Keep the caravels going east/west with a Buddhist missionary on board.
Barb does take out another galley ARGH!!!!!!!
We discover DR and not the founders. I kind of expected we were going to get that but I looked at the tech screen it still had the symbol of Islam available. Hmmmmmm

T8

Trade with Julius DR for philosophy (could have gotten feudalism) but in the spirit of that Buddhist guy well I think philosophy is the only way good brothers.

T9

Delhi starts a caravel to deal with that ARGH ARGH barb galley and now wrecked two fish. I also checked with every civ and there was nothing to trade. Wow is Washington ever a head in tech and he hates us. Oh goody you sure you don’t want to have a military. Julius is a great attack hound keep him at your side.

T10

Was uneventful and didn’t mention I started education.
EDIT: I forgot we spread Buddhism to Thebes.

Current Roster:
LuvToBuild -> UP --> philosopher emperor (don't let him fool you he's a passive aggressive)
pigswill -> fifth round completed --> philosopher king (he is a mentor/master for P666)
Krockel -> autoskip --> (gone abroad great thing about Europe not to far for anything)
FoolontheHill -> fifth round completed == (he misses the battles of the Inquisitors. He did it well.)
omurtag ->not sure what's up and too lazy to read anymore
cosmichail-->stand in comic == just played

The Save

Welcome Cosmichail!! Thanks for helping out! :goodjob:

Cosmichail said:
T1
Another BM is going the opposite direction to spread the word.

I really had to think about this one for awhile before I realized you were talking about a missionary. :D

In fact an Inter-Continental Buddhist Missionary.

Top Bottom