HOF/Buffy mod installation problems for Windows 7

pandamancer

Prince
Hi there

I wanted to try out the Hof/Buffy mod. So I downloaded the .exe file and installed the mod to my existing BTS folder. It turns out that I am experiencing the following problem:

Warning: The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings. Games played will NOT be valid for submission to the CivFanatics 'Hall of Fame' (HOF) or 'Game of the Month' (xOTM) competitions. Please use an user account with admin access. (Vista users, please check the HOF Mod web page for fixes related to Vista.)

Ok, I believe I am not the first one experiencing this problem. I tried to look for the Vista/Win7 fixes here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

I did the steps indicated but still no avail. What I can say with my current setup is that I am using Win7 32 bit; Civ4 and BTS installed in F directory. So any help guys?

Thanks!

Try making sure that your civilization exe file runs with admin rights.

Locate the file. For BtS it's called Civ4BeyondSword.exe (for vanilla it's civilization.exe, for Warlords it's Civ4Warlords.exe). It'll be in whatever location you installed Civ to. For example on my machine the BtS file is in C:\Program Files\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword, but it won't be the same on all computers.

Right-click on the file and select Properties from the context menu. Then locate the Compatibility tab and on that tab, check the box that says 'Run this program as an administrator'. Then hit OK. That should make you all set up to play GOTMs with the HOF/BUFFY mod. Note that because the program is now running as administrator, Windows will pop up a dialog warning you of this each time you run it.

You'll need to do this separately for each flavour of Civ that you intend playing with the HOF mod (vanilla, Warlords, and BtS).

And - welcome to the GOTMs! Have fun!

I'd like to add that it's a good idea to not install games in Program Files due to issues like this. Windows is a bit wonky with files there due to viruses and such so it's more protective/restrictive of files that run there. Better to create a new folder, C:\Games or whatever, and put your games there, or better yet, on a different partition if you have that (D:\Games for instance).

ed: Err, okay, after reading more properly I see you have it in F partition, so then the above won't really apply. The game probably just needs admin rights. Stupid Windows.

Hello there,

Thanks for the tips! I will try to do it once I have time again. :)

Top Bottom