1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Questions & Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Geylani

Geylani Chieftain

2. SpikeSpy

SpikeSpy Chieftain

Hi guy's I've been trying to submit a Huge, Diety game for the HOF, however each time I upload the 4 files and click submit, the site is processing for a while, then the submission form resets and nothing is submitted. I did manage to submit using only the first and last file, though your response was that you had actually only received the opening file and not the final and the game was therefore excluded for the time being.

The above suggests that the save files I'm trying to upload are too big to accept ( for info, the start file is 1.6MB, the second 2.8MB, the third 3.8MB and the last 4.3MB)
    and this may be an error that can be fixed :)

Thanks for the help :)

3. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

Send them.

4. Dracandross

Dracandross Warlord

Okay back to CIV V that is and to HOF. First gotta read some of the stuff for good!

It's so different to play with barbs on when CIV used to be without not to mention hexa map and other changes but at least still I like it though I miss the knowledge.

From HOF I think that CIV HOF used to have so many slots to fill but now its even more. Each category is of course different but I can't see wisdom in it if first entry doesnt score anything (Lets say HOF summary is something). To encourage players to shoot first submission it should count for something like .2 points and same could go for the VVV. As first game is in then theres "easy" to shoot it down.

Wonder if I have patience or time to hit enough games to first learn V and then to score somewhat usable scores. And really I want to thank this :king:site once again, it really gives some reason to play at all after few games.

-D

5. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

I have good news for you.
    The VVV is going to be changed for BNW and there every game get points :) (if it is approved of course :))

6. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

Sorry if this has been asked before,
    I have two questions.

I started slogging through VVV, and a couple of the games I submitted I seemed to be missing the _initial save file. I just assume this is a bug in my game. I submitted the _000 file in its place, will this be ok?

How long do the gauntlet submissions take to show up? my first submission to G-Minor LXVII at 121 turns shows up on the gauntlet page, but my 87 turn submission has not. Not trying to rush anyone, I know it is the holydays :)

and I suppose a third question. Is it possible to win the first 3 places in a gauntlet? Or does only your best submission count? Just curious

7. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

We are looking for the 4000BC save before you make any moves. If you don't make a manual save then we'll take the "AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save". But, you have to be careful to grab it before you start another game or it will be overwritten.

Games aren't shown until we do an update (1st and 16th every month.)

Only your best game counts.

:xmassign:

8. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

Great, thanks for the answers. Might have a couple of games get kicked then - no biggie, will try to make sure I the _initial game is available before I play any of the serious games.

9. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

But you'll see your own game and its position on the gauntlet list as soon as it gets approved. How long it takes to get approved could be 5 minutes or 5 days, depending on how soon one of the staff get to it.

If it shows on your 'my submissions' as approved, but isn't showing up in the gauntlet display, most likely cause is you've used the wrong setting somewhere, so it still counts for HoF, but not for the specific gauntlet. Wrong map type/size, left out a specified opponent, forgot to use OCC or raging barbs, stuff like that.

10. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

Guess you guys might want to have a look at this thread.

11. sanabas

Interesting. Off to play a test game or two...

12. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

And the question: should i refrain from playing (and posting) any BNW games for the time being?

13. sanabas

Not sure...

And wouldn't the same formula also apply to G&K? And possibly even vanilla, I haven't played a vanilla game since G&K was released, so not sure what patches have done to bulbing there.

Played one test game on epic, got 95k free science, though cost myself ~25k or more that I could have had by burning scientists later. Certainly made a difference, and will make an even bigger one with better timing.

14. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

According to the man it does apply to GK in the first place.

In my humble opinion it's beyond exploit. Pretty sure one can clear tech tree with any start/civ before t.200 standard speed.

Then again, similar finish times were achieved without this exploit, so i don't know. Fighting cannons with tanks on deity though..

15. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

I have checked your video, Moriarte.
    And it does seem like an exploit.
    Although I think it won't do that much on lower difficulties.

16. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

Maybe you're right. Will check it on low diff. when i get the time.

17. sanabas

It will still be helpful on lower difficulties, but you'll need to make a conscious effort to go a long way without opening any of the top row. Maybe even as far as plastics, then bulb half a dozen scientists which might clear the entire tech tree. Might take a bit of effort to find the best timing.

But it's truly absurd on deity. Not sure about clearing the entire tree by t200, though may well be doable by not bulbing until 1 turn from architecture. Suspect that'll be the optimum time to do it, with 2-3 scientists.

I have just run one test with Babylon. std/std/pangaea. OCC to keep tech costs cheap. t110, I research education (and mining was the only other tech I had) and buy a uni. t120, I'm 1 turn from acoustics, bulb 2 scientists for 636 beakers each. That puts me at 1212 of 50 for Sailing on t120. 1 tech each turn until t143, and I've cleared every single renaissance era tech. Don't think excess ever got above 25k, but was still at least 15k at that point. t148, I get to pick Freedom, which also coincided with my next policy, so could have had 6 x foreign legion. t150, I finish oxford and take plastics as the freebie. Got 2k leftover at that point, which puts me 19 turns from flight.

So long way from clearing the whole tree, but to go from t120 just getting acoustics and still missing sailing, masonry, bronze working to t150 with navigation, chemistry, plastics would qualify as beyond exploit for me, too. If I went the bottom row instead of plastics I'd have gone well past artillery. Definitely combustion or ballistics, possibly both.

18. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

I am honestly not sure how you would police this, and honestly not convinced it actually makes you win that much faster below Immortal/Deity. The OP even remarks in the thread that he was never able to beat the record win time of 188 turns, and tommy just posted a t190 win with Assyria...

I never research BW unless I have jungle until I am headed to ST, and I will often skip sailing as well on lower difficulty because I tend to wonder whore and the TR is of marginal value. I certainly never research optics unless I have fish or a water map, and tend to do that late as well.

I tried it on a King game. I researched sailing and masonry (archipelago), and went right up the middle of the tech tree waiting for the AI to found the WC, even with majorly stunted growth, no planted GS, and 3 cities, the AI still had not founded the WC before I was forced to research BW. So I bulbed a GS on sailing, and got astronomy and 2 turns from printing press before it ran out. I would have done better sticking to a more optimal tech path.

Will try it again on Deity and Prince to see how it plays out.

19. sanabas

I am.

Will play a test game tomorrow on std/std/settler. Will play normally until research labs. Then save, and see what turn I launch spaceship with normal play, and what turn I finish by exploiting this. I'd expect the exploit to be at least 15-20 turns faster, maybe more.

20. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

The problem with disallowing entries is that we don't know for sure that this hasn't *already been used* for HOF submissions. It's entirely possible that some of the best science victory submission times were posted using this technique, especially since (apparently) it's been a known issue since G&K. And, even if you're not going for a science victory, this technique could be used... it's trivial to get a great scientist... so who knows how that's been affecting Domination/Cultural/Diplomatic victory times.

It's entirely possible that people have done this by accident, too, and not realized it was influencing their finish time.

How would you detect it in a savefile? Maybe there's some way?

EDIT: I bet this happens more often than you'd think. In a typical Domination you might avoid the top of tree while going after Machinery, then get late Universities, then fill your slots while researching to Artillery... perhaps you don't finish with artillery so you then go for Biology and Combustion... until then you typically avoid Optics, sometimes even Sailing, until you need Oil. So it's not at all unlikely that you'd be bulbing Sailing->Optics->Compass->Astronomy->Navigation when they've already been discovered. I bet this happens all the time...

I'm of the opinion that while this may not provide *record* finish times, it will basically allow anyone to post competitive HOF finish times even if they normally *could not win on Deity*.