1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF_x

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by templar_x, Feb 3, 2010.

1. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

i got the game finished. it started off so quick and the end was quite tedious...

it is a 410b dom victory on a DG standard map for a score of 16247. i played everything random and got the Maya.

this was my start:

obviously i was rather fooling around than anything else. how would anyone consider this all random start worthy of a HoF-game.

however, i got two settlers from huts and found the start land rather poor but good enough.

my core became like this:

the start went very smooth and even lucky. everyone stayed at peace with me so i could prepare my empire and my army. i went counter-cockwise. everything fine but i could not meet one civ, even though this was Pangaea.

no leaders, until the very end of the game. and my Nemesis: i planned to leave the two weak Empires of Byzanz and Portugal as a Close target for the last centuries. my earlier built units should conquer the far end of the land. the newest built units that would not reach the front anymore anyway should take the land of these two minor powers. however, one tiny Byz town and a hill town of Portugal crushed my armies, several times. it was the most incredible SOURs i have ever seen.

with their land i could even have been considerably faster. this way i needed more settlers and culture expansions. anyway, it turned out very well.

t_x

Attached Files:

• hof.jpg
      hof.jpg
      File size:
      109.8 KB
      Views:
    • hof1.jpg
      hof1.jpg
      File size:
      215.3 KB
      Views:
    • hof2.jpg
      hof2.jpg
      File size:
      443.6 KB
      Views:
  2. templar_x

i think i once announced a vague plan to submit "all random" games for the HoF. i never really was a fan of optimizing everything for an entry, and wanted to find out, whether it would work out without that. most of my games were "rather random" anyway, but i must confess that i actually did choose the civ, landform etc and regularly the opponents. not so here.

this all did not happen due to lack of time. i remember i started a Sid game in this manner years ago. the start was crappy (much crappier than here), but i had decided to go with it... never finished.
    thus, let me consider this game my first entry by that new crazy standard from me. no idea whether others will follow, i cannot promise anything.

t_x

3. templar_x

after quite a while i submitted another one of my "all random" games. it became a 250ad deity standard domination victory. nothing special, but it is fine for my 2nd entry in this table. a table that is not even full ... just in case someone is interested.

only things that are set are: standard size, roaming barbs (I think), Deity difficulty. my random civ became the Mayans, all opponents equally random.

the map did not turn out too well for me. strong neighbouring civs, however, i got really lucky with the Iros next door that they seem to have never got their GA with one of their MWs. then Japan was alone on its rather big island on an otherwise Pangaea map, which together with smaller Islands around took away lots of tiles from the main landmass. plus 2 luxes!
    what worked well for me was that the two strongest AIs engaged into a nearly game lasting war against each other. and that the right wonders were built within reach.

untypical for me, i researched up to MT for cavs, which was probably not optimal and unnecessary.

don´t hold your breath for the next game, but i am not officially retiring either. ;)

t_x

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. templar_x

a picture to go with it...

Attached Files:

• core.jpg
      core.jpg
      File size:
      517.3 KB
      Views:
  5. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Thank you for the submission. You boosted the number of games for the next update by 50 percent. :lol:

6. templar_x

my pleasure :)
    t_x

7. templar_x

another "all random" Deity Standard Domination with the Vikings got finished by 410ad. it would be good enough for the table, but it would be my 3rd entry, so no submission.
    but really, this table at the moment is more or less a walk in the park, if someone wants an entry...
    t_x

8. CKS

CKS Chieftain

Some of us don't find deity a walk in the park. I expect I could beat 1990 with a good map, though. I'm still working on a histographic game, though, and I suspect it will be a while before I'm ready for a new HOF game. Plus, I'm in need of some easy games first.

Large 100k tables are pretty empty, but I don't think I want another 100k game right away, either. Maybe huge spaceship games are where I'll go next. I've only got 33 more games to go before I take over the top spot (most games on the HOF), so I need to find those easy spots. I should be able to make it in about 5 years, I expect.;)

9. templar_x

good luck! ;) to me, your ambition for 33 more HoF-entries :eek::eek::eek: seems WAY above any domination victory, on any of the tables... ;)
    t_x