1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Housing Guide

Housing Guide

Tags:
  1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Browd submitted a new resource:

Housing Guide - Housing Guide

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  2. avl8

avl8 Chieftain

Great guide, thanks alot!
    Very useful!!

3. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I think this is wrong. At least for Baths I was always able to use same river on which city is as source for the Aqueduct.

4. Browd

Same river, yes, but same river segment? I probably need to revise this to include an image to illustrate the restriction -- it's hard to describe in words.

5. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

You mean actual same tile, not just same river?

I'll need to recheck my game.

EDIT:
    Rechecked. In all my cases I had additional sources of water, either different part of same river or mountain. The build model of aqueduct will show which exact source is used.

Also, I had cities encroaching multiple river tiles.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  6. Browd

The restriction is illustrated by the image below.

Why can't Antium build a Bath on the circled tile?

Aqueduct Placement.jpg

That tile is an unremarkable grassland hill tile, adjacent to a river, with no strategic or luxury resource or pre-existing district that would block placement of an aqueduct/Bath, so an aqueduct/Bath should be perfect for that location ... but it's not -- why?

Answer: That tile's only source of fresh water is the same river segment that the city center already has access to. The two tiles to the north of the city are adjacent to the city center tile and also adjacent to a river segment that the city center does not already have access to, while the tundra tile southeast of the city has access to the mountain. (Note that the tile southwest of the city also has access to the mountain, but it has a luxury resource (silver) on it, which blocks all district placement.)

EDIT: OP revised to add this in a spoiler.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Acken and dturtle1 like this.
  7. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I guess the reason tile is unavailable is becase aqueduct model can not be drawn at that location, since both water source and aqeduct/city border locations are the same.

8. Browd

Yeah, the aqueduct model would have to curl around itself, forming essentially an "O" (or maybe a backwards "C"), connecting that one river segment to itself.

9. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

It may be worth to clarify in guide that aqueduct/city border can not be water source for aquaduct.

10. smartcanuck1988

smartcanuck1988 Chieftain

Very informative guide. Amazing work.

What is the maximum amount of housing theoretically possible then?

11. Browd

That may be essentially unquantifiable, since you have to make too many wild assumptions about wonders, number of cities (vs. number of unique luxuries) and city locations, tile improvements (how many farms, fishing boats, etc.), and entertainment district locations and regional effects of zoos and stadiums, plus which Great persons and beliefs you get, and at what stage of the game (amenities from garrisons eventually obsoletes).

12. Browd

Added spoiler about that in the aqueduct section.

13. smartcanuck1988

Haha yes that looks indeed too complex. Let's have a leaderboard for the city with most housing :D

14. 10KEyeCandy

10KEyeCandy Chieftain

I think in the last sentence the 4 should be 2 instead.

I will reply more if I found anything noteworthy as I haven't read through all of the contents.
    But I can already say: Good job and thank you!

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

216-36 neighborhoods (best possible tiles...GP+Eiffel can get all tiles to breathtaking)
    10-Great Persons
    2-Monarchy
    5-city center buildings
    5-fresh water

smartcanuck1988 likes this.
  16. smartcanuck1988

You just made me realise you can build more than one neighborhood per city. I don't know why I thought I could only build just one (I was treating it like another district)!

I was ecstatic to have my city reach 18 pop. You give me a new target to reach :)

Edit: I just re-read the guide and it's right there in the very beginning of the discussion on Neighbourhoods. I don't understand how I was blocking that out the whole time!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  17. Browd

If Housing is boosted to 5 by settling next to Fresh Water, then the city can grow to 4 before hitting growth penalties. At 3 pop the city can grow to 4 pop with no penalties, but once it hits 4 pop (1 pop below the city's 5 Housing) it gets the -50% penalty and at 5 pop it hits the -75% penalty.

18. 10KEyeCandy

10KEyeCandy Chieftain

NVM, you're right. Somehow I read that "grow to at least 4" to "grow at least 4". Oops!
    But I remembered checking that sentence multiple times before replying, yet all those times I still missed it....

19. Trilo Byte

Trilo Byte Chieftain

Excellent resource, thanks!

20. Gort

Gort Chieftain

Man, anyone else wish that a city with 6 housing would only start getting growth penalties when it exceeded size 6? This "get penalties when you're one below your housing number" stuff is counter-intuitive.

Maybe rename the entire mechanic "ideal city size" instead, since many of the bonuses to it don't have anything to do with housing. (it's not like people are living in the granary, after all)