[Vanilla] Housing Guide

Browd

Dilettante
Administrator
Browd submitted a new resource:

Housing Guide - Housing Guide

Housing
How Does Housing Work?

"The Romans used every housing form known today and they have a remarkably modern look." - Stephen Gardiner​

Introduction

Housing is a very important, but frequently misunderstood, metric in Civ VI. Having adequate Housing in your cities is crucial to growing your cities. Not only does additional population provide science and culture, and enable you to generate more food and...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
An aqueduct must be built on one of the 6 tiles that are adjacent to your city center tile and must connect the city center tile to either a mountain or a new source of fresh water. That means you cannot build an aqueduct on an otherwise eligible tile if that new tile's only source of fresh water is a source that the city center already has access to (i.e., the city is founded on a river and the proposed aqueduct tile's only access to fresh water is the same river segment that the city borders).

I think this is wrong. At least for Baths I was always able to use same river on which city is as source for the Aqueduct.

Same river, yes, but same river segment? I probably need to revise this to include an image to illustrate the restriction -- it's hard to describe in words.

You mean actual same tile, not just same river?

I'll need to recheck my game.

EDIT:
Rechecked. In all my cases I had additional sources of water, either different part of same river or mountain. The build model of aqueduct will show which exact source is used.

Also, I had cities encroaching multiple river tiles.

Last edited:
The restriction is illustrated by the image below.

Why can't Antium build a Bath on the circled tile?

Aqueduct Placement.jpg

That tile is an unremarkable grassland hill tile, adjacent to a river, with no strategic or luxury resource or pre-existing district that would block placement of an aqueduct/Bath, so an aqueduct/Bath should be perfect for that location ... but it's not -- why?

Answer: That tile's only source of fresh water is the same river segment that the city center already has access to. The two tiles to the north of the city are adjacent to the city center tile and also adjacent to a river segment that the city center does not already have access to, while the tundra tile southeast of the city has access to the mountain. (Note that the tile southwest of the city also has access to the mountain, but it has a luxury resource (silver) on it, which blocks all district placement.)

EDIT: OP revised to add this in a spoiler.

Last edited:
I guess the reason tile is unavailable is becase aqueduct model can not be drawn at that location, since both water source and aqeduct/city border locations are the same.

Yeah, the aqueduct model would have to curl around itself, forming essentially an "O" (or maybe a backwards "C"), connecting that one river segment to itself.

Very informative guide. Amazing work.

What is the maximum amount of housing theoretically possible then?

That may be essentially unquantifiable, since you have to make too many wild assumptions about wonders, number of cities (vs. number of unique luxuries) and city locations, tile improvements (how many farms, fishing boats, etc.), and entertainment district locations and regional effects of zoos and stadiums, plus which Great persons and beliefs you get, and at what stage of the game (amenities from garrisons eventually obsoletes).

That may be essentially unquantifiable, since you have to make too many wild assumptions about wonders, number of cities (vs. number of unique luxuries) and city locations, tile improvements (how many farms, fishing boats, etc.), and entertainment district locations and regional effects of zoos and stadiums, plus which Great persons and beliefs you get, and at what stage of the game (amenities from garrisons eventually obsoletes).

Haha yes that looks indeed too complex. Let's have a leaderboard for the city with most housing :D

A city has access to Fresh Water if the city is founded on a tile that is adjacent to a river, lake or oasis. Settling next to a source of Fresh Water boosts the city's starting Housing by +3, from 2 to 5 Housing. This will allow the city to grow to at least 4 Citizens before experiencing any Housing-related growth limitations.
I think in the last sentence the 4 should be 2 instead.

I will reply more if I found anything noteworthy as I haven't read through all of the contents.
But I can already say: Good job and thank you!

Very informative guide. Amazing work.

216-36 neighborhoods (best possible tiles...GP+Eiffel can get all tiles to breathtaking)
10-Great Persons
2-Monarchy
5-city center buildings
5-fresh water

216-36 neighborhoods (best possible tiles...GP+Eiffel can get all tiles to breathtaking)
10-Great Persons
2-Monarchy
5-city center buildings
5-fresh water

You just made me realise you can build more than one neighborhood per city. I don't know why I thought I could only build just one (I was treating it like another district)!

I was ecstatic to have my city reach 18 pop. You give me a new target to reach :)

Edit: I just re-read the guide and it's right there in the very beginning of the discussion on Neighbourhoods. I don't understand how I was blocking that out the whole time!

Last edited:
I think in the last sentence the 4 should be 2 instead.

I will reply more if I found anything noteworthy as I haven't read through all of the contents.
But I can already say: Good job and thank you!

If Housing is boosted to 5 by settling next to Fresh Water, then the city can grow to 4 before hitting growth penalties. At 3 pop the city can grow to 4 pop with no penalties, but once it hits 4 pop (1 pop below the city's 5 Housing) it gets the -50% penalty and at 5 pop it hits the -75% penalty.

If Housing is boosted to 5 by settling next to Fresh Water, then the city can grow to 4 before hitting growth penalties. At 3 pop the city can grow to 4 pop with no penalties, but once it hits 4 pop (1 pop below the city's 5 Housing) it gets the -50% penalty and at 5 pop it hits the -75% penalty.
NVM, you're right. Somehow I read that "grow to at least 4" to "grow at least 4". Oops!
But I remembered checking that sentence multiple times before replying, yet all those times I still missed it....

Man, anyone else wish that a city with 6 housing would only start getting growth penalties when it exceeded size 6? This "get penalties when you're one below your housing number" stuff is counter-intuitive.

Maybe rename the entire mechanic "ideal city size" instead, since many of the bonuses to it don't have anything to do with housing. (it's not like people are living in the granary, after all)

Top Bottom