1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] Housing Guide

Housing Guide

Tags:
  1. Swiss Halberdier

Swiss Halberdier Chieftain

2. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Chieftain Supporter

There is no depency between Housing and Amenities, so I don't understand how the number of Amenities can affect the (theorectical) maximum Housing of a City.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Yeah, not sure what I thought I was referring to in that post, but you are correct. Both housing and amenities can affect population growth, but the two do not affect each other.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It all started with a comment I saw from @elitetroops where he was thinking he may not bother with granary and aqueducts as they take time to create. Just farm the land up to get housing via workers and you get to the early teens for your cities which is normally enough.
    I did this last night and it worked fine.. a 225 turn peaceful cultural deity victory.
    Culture does not need huge cities but I believe elitetroops at the time was discussing science victories. City size is certainly not required for domination and the amenity punishments for higher population mean more entertainment. So Granary + Aqueduct + Entertainment = a few more science and culture but at the cost of a lot of production time.
    Just a suggestion that a couple of sentences under the heading "what happens if you do not build granaries and aqueducts... and neighborhoods" may enhance the guides view of being balanced.

I will start a thread to see what others say

Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore.

5. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

But is it worth wasting worker points for spamming farms, considering that worker cost also scale the more you build them, and those farms may stay unused (for example if you focus on production), when granary has a fixed cost. I see the farm that won't be used and is build to get 0.5 housing as much bigger waste in production time then granary.

I can see the case somewhat for aqueducts for cities which already have water, since return of investment is not that great (unlike baths which are awesome).

6. Silverdawn

Silverdawn Chieftain

A new factor for housing is the Australian bonus for coastal cities.

7. Piers Shepperson

Piers Shepperson Chieftain

You don't include the Hanging Gardens, +2 housing in the city is built, in the list of wonders that provide housing.

I was interested in how hanging gardens interacts with the housing limit. For instance is it more or less effective with reduced growth?
    Is the reduction additive or multiplicative?

8. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Hanging Gardens got the +2 Housing in the Summer 2017 update.

This version of the Housing Guide is only accurate for the as-released vanilla game, and does not reflect the effects of any of the updates/patches.

9. Unikornus

Unikornus Chieftain

Any plans to update this guide?

10. Hitesh12

Hitesh12 Chieftain

Yes please!

Unikornus likes this.
  11. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Chieftain

What is the effect of housing limits on the anount of food harvested from resource? What I mean is assume 100 food harvested, would the % reduction apply to this 100 food before adding to the stocked food count and adding population?

Thank you!

12. Hitesh12

Hitesh12 Chieftain

The growth limit (i.e. 50% and 75%) is also applied to the food harvested from a tile