How about a fantasy type railroad improvement but call it something else for FFH?

Xanikk999

History junkie
Ive always wondered why you didnt create new graphics for railroads and call them something else for FFH.

It could be called mana highways or something. It really doesnt matter but i think that would help alot in the late game.

And maybe it would be more balanced if you make it so the khazad cant build it.

How about dirt/cobblestone roads? For example, roman style roads were a huge improvement in transportation over just regular dirt roads, allowing armies to move much quicker than previously. Perhaps stone roads shouldn't move stuff as fast as railroads, but that's compensated for by having the extra movement point upgrade, right?

Not to be so bold as to presume to speak for him, but Kael once said that the movement abilities of the late game were sufficient as they are.

AlazkanAssassin said:
Not to be so bold as to presume to speak for him, but Kael once said that the movement abilities of the late game were sufficient as they are.

Its not about the movement. I want the production bonus.

And kael already said he was taking away the +1 production from towns with arcane lore.

That creates a HAMMER shortage late game. We could just remove the movement bonus and make it so it gives a hammer bonus on mines and lumbermills like in vanilla.

there are easier ways to increase production then a new terrain improvement that isn't needed.

How about just adding +1 Hammer yield to every mine when you discover some tech? That's basically the railroad effect without the micromanagement.

AlazkanAssassin said:
there are easier ways to increase production then a new terrain improvement that isn't needed.

How about just adding +1 Hammer yield to every mine when you discover some tech? That's basically the railroad effect without the micromanagement.

I guess but why is kael removing the 1 hammers from towns with arcane lore?

Theres no civic that covers that like in vanilla. So his intentions may be to have lower production.

Being meek and feeble early on is ok, your not supposed to be strong in FFH early on. But low production IS NOT fun late game when everything is very expensive.

I hope kael listens to me....

Well, in the changelog thread, post #760 Kael said:

Good point. Mines are actually only 2 in vanilla but they give an additional with railroads, which we don't have. Your probably right that we need to grant an additional hammer with some tech.

Oh damn.. I guess i missed that... Hehe.

Oh well sorry about that. :blush:

Xanikk999 said:
I guess but why is kael removing the 1 hammers from towns with arcane lore?

Because removing hammers from Towns make you force to specialize more. Is it really fun to build basically the same improvement in every available tile when possible?

Now, to make workshops more attractive...

Grey Fox said:
Because removing hammers from Towns make you force to specialize more. Is it really fun to build basically the same improvement in every available tile when possible?

Now, to make workshops more attractive...

I dont like to have cities that can only do one thing. But i specialize a little bit anyway...

monolith94 said:
Uh... doesn't arete already do that though?

Nope, Arete add +:commerce: to mines and dwarven mines and +:hammers: to dwarven mines.

Because of this thread I'm remembering the time I proposed a way to put railroads in by saying horse drawn wagons are coming around to transport weapons faster. It moved on to Nikis-Knight saying maybe chow wagons could be coming around to provide food for the soldiers so that they waste less time foraging for food. Somehow it ended with QES commenting on how he thought of the corpse wagons from WC3.:lol::confused::lol:

Hmm... 'Mana Highways' doesn't seem like something a Worker could just up and build.

On the other hand, Enchanted Roads of whatever description might work well as a Dimensional 2 Sorcery spell... thoughts?

Endovior said:
Hmm... 'Mana Highways' doesn't seem like something a Worker could just up and build.

On the other hand, Enchanted Roads of whatever description might work well as a Dimensional 2 Sorcery spell... thoughts?
Yes, I was going to say something along those lines.

Xanikk999 said:
That creates a HAMMER shortage late game. We could just remove the movement bonus and make it so it gives a hammer bonus on mines and lumbermills like in vanilla.

I dunno, that kinda seems like an oxymoron to me.. You can't really have a HAMMER shortage. Your cities wont wither and die without hammers, it just might take an extra turn or two to churn out the next ranger. Not that big of a deal losing that cottage hammer imo.

Things already move pretty fast in FFH with all the mobility bonuses that every unit can get. I dont think railroad equivlants are really needed. Plus the balancing effect of the powerful world and national units is based on the fact that they cant be everywhere at once. A railroad type improvement might throw this off.

Think about it, though. When was the last time you read anything in a fantasy setting where there was a quick, train-style, mode of travel that didn't require having a mage in the party?

Flavor-wise, a railroad style improvement just doesn't fit.

Unless it were called "railroad" and were only buildable by dwarven workers.

But more importantly, railroads throw off balance in more ways than one, with the production bonus that you can put anywhere with impunity, and the ability of your world units suddenly to be anywhere within your borders within 1 turn or 2, max.

I wouldn't mind having a dimensional III spell allow teleportation of an archmage and any units on the same tile as him to any point on the map. It's powerful, but we need to have more utility spells and less warfare spells. Plus, it would give the dimensional sphere some purpose.

A first post, and something of a hijack I'm afraid.

Don't think railway-esque works unless we're going Steampunk all the way.

But was no-one else made to think of leylines? Say an improvement that increases magic skill of one type while you're standing on it, only constructable between two nodes of the same type? For balance, only works once complete, and takes a long time to build (to avoid the tempatation to loop the line round your entire empire)

May not be feasible, but thought it's worth putting out there.

Top Bottom