How Are You Liking The Barbarians Game Mode?

How Do You Like Barbarian Game Mode

• I love it! I will use it in every game.

• Meh.

• I may use it every now and again.

• I won't use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here's a question: suppose there was a message from Firaxis saying, "We intended to have the barbarians mode for you in February, but playtesting shows it has several problems, so we are holding it back to April". What would your reaction be? Would you rather have the buggy version now or the polished version after a two-month wait?
in an ideal world: i want the polished version
but since I don't trust Firaxis and their playtesters to find most of the obvious/biggest bugs I like the early bugged version IF they address the found problems/concerns/ideas of the community/hivemind :)

Last edited:
Regardless, I am finding you need to make a little bit more military early than I am used to building on deity.

IDK but I find that I'm prioritising trade rather than building units early on (on Deity) so that I can hire barbs. Mind you, I'm mostly playing TSL maps RN cos the barbs don't convert to city states.

IDK but I find that I'm prioritising trade rather than building units early on (on Deity) so that I can hire barbs. Mind you, I'm mostly playing TSL maps RN cos the barbs don't convert to city states.

Man like TSL maps used to be my go to in previous games but I find them terrible in this game.

How do you do a TSL of Europe and omit the Med?

I think I just ran into some unlucky games the first few times I tried the game mode in retrospect. This past game seemed somewhat normal. I will have to try to do some hiring in the future. I still don't see a ton of value inciting. 560 gold to have the AI attack the AI? I'd rather have my own military I think...

I think I just ran into some unlucky games the first few times I tried the game mode in retrospect. This past game seemed somewhat normal. I will have to try to do some hiring in the future. I still don't see a ton of value inciting. 560 gold to have the AI attack the AI? I'd rather have my own military I think...
Ican see if you don't want to DoW them.

Some questions:
  1. Has anyone actually witnessed a Chariot or Jungle Clan in the game? Desert/Horses and Jungle/Ivory are very specific combinations with low probabilities...
  2. Does inciting a camp actually do anything? I fail to observe any change: camps do not seem to spawn additional units, no change of to the behavior of units already spawned, etc.
  3. Does anyone know why raiding a camp sometimes provide 30 or 50 gold? Have you observed a different amount of gold provided? What could be the factors affecting the amount of gold provided for raiding?
  4. Has anyone witnessed a unique unit fortified in a camp?

Some questions:
  1. Has anyone actually witnessed a Chariot or Jungle Clan in the game? Desert/Horses and Jungle/Ivory are very specific combinations with low probabilities...
I did, but they are quite rare due to 2 requirements (horse+desert or jungle+ivory). While playtesting I set the map settings on hot and wet (for more desert and jungle) on a huge terra map (for vast regions of deserts and jungles) and used a reveal map mod. Still they were not many of them. So with only a part of the map revealed in a normal game, on standard settings with no camps spawning after some period it is quite rare to see them.

There are city states everywhere and no barbarians at all (no room to spawn). The mode is definitely broken.

Last edited:
I don’t think I have ever seen a game with this much potential and so many good ideas so incredibly poorly implemented because there is so little playtesting

Seriously playing ONE GAME PAST MEDIEVAL WOULD HAVE IMMEDIATLY REVEALED THE GAME BREAKING ISSUES WITH THE LAST TWO MODES

Not even Bethesda is this bad. And Bethesda basically has an official policy of “the modders are the QA and patch team”.

Of course they are smart enough to realize this, want to take advantage of it, and do everything to encourage and support it which is why they literally hand out the dev tools

We can’t even get a functioning worldbuilder or mods on console

Moderator Action: Reminder to please keep comments relevant to the thread topic. Off-topic or nonconstructive rants/comments will be deleted. ~ LK

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a curious thing - a barbarian camp (not a clan) popped into existence with no-one in it. Moved a unit into it and dispersed it for 10 XP.

I've seen a curious thing - a barbarian camp (not a clan) popped into existence with no-one in it. Moved a unit into it and dispersed it for 10 XP.
It was discussed a few pages back. Seems to be a limitation inherent with the limited number of available named Clans per Clan Type (6).

FYI, I made a fix for that bug. See my signature.

They need to remove the “evolve into city state” part of this mode and then it would be awesome
Code:
<Replace Name="BARBARIAN_CLANS_CIV_CONVERSION_POINTS_STANDARD" Value="120" />
        <Replace Name="BARBARIAN_CLANS_CIV_CONVERSION_INCREMENT_CHANCE" Value="50" />
Change first Value to something much bigger, change second Value to 1, and You good.

Something like this:
Code:
UPDATE GlobalParameters
SET Value = Value*10000
WHERE Name = "BARBARIAN_CLANS_CIV_CONVERSION_POINTS_STANDARD";
should suffice.

Play the TSL maps with Barb Mode. They don't (can't?) evolve into CSs.

The TSL maps are hot garbage

Code:
<Replace Name="BARBARIAN_CLANS_CIV_CONVERSION_POINTS_STANDARD" Value="120" />
        <Replace Name="BARBARIAN_CLANS_CIV_CONVERSION_INCREMENT_CHANCE" Value="50" />
Change first Value to something much bigger, change second Value to 1, and You good.

Something like this:
Code:
UPDATE GlobalParameters
SET Value = Value*10000
WHERE Name = "BARBARIAN_CLANS_CIV_CONVERSION_POINTS_STANDARD";
should suffice.

Thank you! I’m on xbox so I can’t use this, but I appreciate the effort and hopefully it will benefit others

Top Bottom