how can I tweak science rates?

CivGumby

Chieftain
I would like to edit the rate of science (I assume that there is some multiplier in a file). Particularly I would like slow up the rate of science advances (or increase the number of beakers needed for each advance) for Epic game speed. Does anyone know where and what to change.
I just want to edit the file, not make a full mod.

There's no seperated tag for Research Percent (or anything like it) in the specs for the various Game Speeds. So you'd have to manually edit the "Cost" value of the technologies themselves within file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data/Technologies.xml

From file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data/GameSpeeds.xml this is the entire definition of GAMESPEED_EPIC:
Code:
<Row>
	<GameSpeedType>GAMESPEED_EPIC</GameSpeedType>
	<Name>LOC_GAMESPEED_EPIC_NAME</Name>
	<Description>LOC_GAMESPEED_EPIC_HELP</Description>
	<CostMultiplier>150</CostMultiplier>
	<CivicUnlockMaxCost>150</CivicUnlockMaxCost>
	<CivicUnlockPerTurnDrop>15</CivicUnlockPerTurnDrop>
	<CivicUnlockMinCost>30</CivicUnlockMinCost>
</Row>
"CostMultiplier" applies to everything.

I have a spreadsheet that I made that allows you to apply a multiplier of your choose, copy the code to a .sql file in a proper mod folder and it will import all of the costs. Have one for just about everything, buildings, terrain, and the like, there are a lot of hidden factors to think about if you the other things.

Let me know if you are interested and I will clean it out and send the the techs tab...do you want this for civics too?

I would like to edit the rate of science (I assume that there is some multiplier in a file). Particularly I would like slow up the rate of science advances (or increase the number of beakers needed for each advance) for Epic game speed. Does anyone know where and what to change.
I just want to edit the file, not make a full mod.

Download the Slower Tech mod, then modify the sql scripts provided. Easiest way to handle it without actually making a mod. There's probably a field in the table that refers to specific eras, but I'm not aware of what the name is.

Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost * 1.50 WHERE EraType='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost * 2.00 WHERE EraType='ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost * 2.50 WHERE EraType='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost * 3.00 WHERE EraType='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost * 3.50 WHERE EraType='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost * 4.00 WHERE EraType='ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost * 4.25 WHERE EraType='ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost * 4.50 WHERE EraType='ERA_INFORMATION';
SQL which would need to be added to a mod and file set up to run as like this within the modinfo file:
Code:
<Mod id="cafa4bca-c398-4215-90ce-24beebfb6a63" version="1">
	<Properties>
		<Name>TechAdjusterMod</Name>
		<Teaser>TechAdjusterMod</Teaser>
		<Description>TechAdjusterMod</Description>
		<Authors>LeeS</Authors>
	</Properties>
	<Files>
		<File>Technologies.sql</File>
	</Files>
	<Components>
		<UpdateDatabase id="DATBASE_UPDATES">
			<Items>
				<File>Technologies.sql</File>
			</Items>
		</UpdateDatabase>
	</Components>
</Mod>
Like as in the attached mod which you can download, unzip, then copy into your \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods folder. Start the game, enter the Additional Content tab and check the enable box next to the mod. Then hit "BACK" and then proceed to start a new game. You should not enable the mod in the Additional Content menu until you are ready to start a new game.

You can edit the values I placed into the file called Technologies.sql to desire.

Note that for Game Play Speeds other than Standard, these Cost multiplications are applied, and then the modifier for selected GameSpeed is applied and stacked with the changes made in this code. So for Epic you get 50% higher tech "Beakers" cost for Ancient Era techs, and then an additional 150/100 multiplier is applied.

Attachments

• TechAdjusterMod.zip
    742 bytes · Views: 90
Last edited:
Holy Cow! This has been a very educational set of replies for me and has given me a peak under the hood. Thanks all! I am currently trying the change in total costs (CostMultiplier) approach to see how that goes. I tried this first because it was the first response and am now in-game as a test. Then I will take a crack at the spreadsheet-sql method. But in any case this has given me a feel for how to mod or tweak in general. Thanks again.

Top Bottom