How can I use forts?

Larsenex

King
I have heard alot about the use of forts in the game and I have rarely ever used them. I started and new game and spaced my cities rather far apart in a nice line effectively 'chopping' the continent I am on in half. I have ports on each coast. In between I put forts where I have no influence but other than that I can't think what advantage there is to building them.

How do you guys use them and why?

Thanks much.:goodjob:

There are a lot of threads on this already, but to sum it up real fast--
--Count as cities for City Garrison and unit healing.
--Claims resources on the tile if they're in your cultural borders and have a road.
--Don't chop forests or jungles, adding to their defense bonus.
--Ships can enter forts on coasts, multiple forts can be strung together (so long as each is adjacent to a body of water) to form a canal.

There are a lot of threads on this already, but to sum it up real fast--
--Count as cities for City Garrison and unit healing.
--Claims resources on the tile if they're in your cultural borders and have a road.
--Don't chop forests or jungles, adding to their defense bonus.
--Ships can enter forts on coasts, multiple forts can be strung together (so long as each is adjacent to a body of water) to form a canal.

I don't get the second one. Why a fort instead of the appropriate improvement? Can a fort capture oil, even when you don't have Combustion to build the improvement?

If it's a crucial resource, such as oil, there could be a benefit to putting a fort up to garrison troops inside to protect it - you'll benefit from city defence promotions and the like, and you can station air units as well for air superiority.

I haven't really used forts for much other than canals, to tell the truth, or if I have extra workers just sitting around to give them something to do.

Take oil, for isntance. It reveals itself with Scientific Method, but isn't workable until Combustion. You still can't benefit from it, even with a fort, until Combustion, but the turn you finish Combustion you've got it. No having to wait for your Workers to run up into the Ice or Desert then spend a dozen turns building an Oil Well.

That and, as Kevin J said, it gives you a little more protection on those tiles. Four or five SAM Infantry can protect you from air attacks, four or five and a fort can protect you from tanks, too.

If you have a fort next to a body of water, then ships can enter the fort. If you have two tile wide piece of land, then you can make a canal with two forts. If you have a three wide piece of land, then ships would not be able to enter the middle fort. But theoretically you could do a three wide piece of land with a city and two forts.

Top Bottom