How can you speed the game up? Not fun anymore.

steve dave

Chieftain
Is there any talk of a patch or and other ways to speed the game up in the later settings?

What is the point of being able to have all the different civs when you can't use more than 3? I am now waiting about 7-8 minutes between each turn.

I have turned of all the animations and such but it still takes forever. It is a kick ass game but just not fun to play anymore because you sit doing nothing more than you play.

i think it is called the get an upgrade patch :(

all i can suggest is to watch some tv while u play? perhaps just do your web serfing .... music possably

have u turned off enemy moves? that can make it MUCH faster to not look at the enemys moves if that is what is slowing u down, and if u dont want to do that holding down shift turns off there animation when moving

btw .. what kind of a system do u have?

not much u can do :( .... or can be done really ... but ...

how about we hyjack your thread and everyone post there while we wait for my turn techniques

If you're playing with the 1.21f patch, you might turn off auto-saving (assuming your game doesn't crash often) The auto-compression takes up a lot of time for some people.

There is also the option of playing on a smaller map... not as much fun, but you won't have the delay between turns

"There is also the option of playing on a smaller map... not as much fun, but you won't have the delay between turns"

That is just it. What was the point of even including the option of a large map? You have two options the real big maps with lots of civs that is fun but basically unplayable or the small maps with 2 other civs that just isn't fun.

At this point I am just going to go back to civII and sell III on ebay.

"Any talk of a patch"??

For months we complained about how slow the game is. . . so Firaxis gave us a patch, 1.21, which slowed the game down even more. :rolleyes:

(And I have no intention of turning off autosave for various reasons. I shouldn't have to).

My game slowed down to a noticeable degree with 1.21f (and I've got a P4 1.7GHz machine), but I won't turn off auto-saving because then something really stupid will happen, like:

1. The game crashes
2. My only source of an important strategic resource disappears
3. A spearman just "happens" to defeat my modern armor
4. One of my great cities, that I built and maintained for centuries, suddenly decides that another civ's culture is better

Those things rarely if ever happen, but I know that the minute I turn off auto-saving, something stupid like that will happen and I'll regret not having the auto-saving turned on. I wish they made the compression (which is surely what's slowing it down the most) an option.

Originally posted by TedG
I wish they made the compression (which is surely what's slowing it down the most) an option.
For some reason I thought it was....but I cannot, for the life of me, find it anywhere.....

I am truly and honestly glad about the save-game-compression. It was the push I needed to drop the last remnants of the "reload-cheat". Before 1.21 I did never save my games except when quitting, but if something got terribly wrong there was always the temptation to load an autosave. Now after I have been forced to turn the autosave off, I have had several very interesting games indeed.

Although I won´t deny that for some people with less stable systems this is of course a problem. :)

Top Bottom