How close is too close?

-3 for settling too close.. settling again is another -3 unless on the same turn.
This minus 3 stays for 30 turns regardless then degrades 1 point per 10 turns.

Tell then you refuse to promise and you get -6 degrading 1/10
Ignore them only gives -3 degrading 1/10
Promise not to and do not for 30 turns and you then get +4 degrading 1/15

I know this is an old thread but Google led me here and it's relevant still.

So am I correct to say it's 8 tiles from any of their cities? It doesn't matter that it's further away from their city than the one that caused the complaint i.e. forward settle and backfill only works if the backfill cities are at least 8 tiles away from them? It also doesn't matter if the AI marches halfway across the continent to plop a city in the middle of your empire they will complain if you settle within 8 tiles of it?? :crazyeye:

I know this is an old thread but Google led me here and it's relevant still.

So am I correct to say it's 8 tiles from any of their cities? It doesn't matter that it's further away from their city than the one that caused the complaint i.e. forward settle and backfill only works if the backfill cities are at least 8 tiles away from them? It also doesn't matter if the AI marches halfway across the continent to plop a city in the middle of your empire they will complain if you settle within 8 tiles of it?? :crazyeye:

Yes, yes, and yes. I have had all of those, including supposedly breaking a promise when settling behind my capital (our capitals were 5 spaces away, with a mountain range between us), and having someone like Dido go around me and settle on the coast next to my capital after I made a promise.

Indeed it is as well as when you settle within 8 of theirs. While you are considered a human player so treated differently in some ways, when it comes to diplomacy the AI is tracking your diplomacy as if you were an AI civ. This includes such things as they came too close to your borders... it's all in the diplomacy_modifiers.csv in the log file.

It's a damn shame it does not show in game what the AI thinks I think about them as I suspect it counts in some of their actions.

The funny part is, it's incredibly easy to add this, you just need to swap out the information bits. If you use any of the enhanced Diplomatic Ribbons it's actually pretty easy.

This also works for Human to Human diplomacy, hell, Human players are even assigned a random hidden agenda (which I made a mod out of).

Top Bottom