How did I screw up this badly?

hisagishi

Chieftain
I... I just can't explain it. I was playing and focusing on science, I think I ignored happiness/city growth to long. Can't trade for any luxs since the allies only have one.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

This game seems like a wash, but I had fun.

Seing this is a free card for an invasion :D

Severe lack of exploration...I know your in land but i would have at least dropped a city on the coast to explore the other island(s) to at least give you extra trading partners for that huge amount of citrus you have.

Could have dropped a reasonable extra city up by the two fish or simply put Corinth on that grassland between the two jungles on the north coast to catch the fish and the truffles and stone if you really only wanted 3 cities.

What victory were you planning for?

Considering your Alex have you actually been working the city states?

Why only using 3/5 trade routes? That's a lot of science/gold/growth your missing out on.

Which difficulty are you playing on? ^^

Can't trade for any luxs since the allies only have one.
You've got +71 Gold, so buy those Luxuries. Try to get the one that your capital is demanding for WLTKD. Also, buy a City State with another unique Luxury, a Mercantile one if there is any, if not, take a cultural one.

Then start focusing on Growth. Don't really know how you managed to have 8 pop at turn 200, but your goal should be to have around 10+ pop in your main cities at around turn 120-130, that's relatively easy to achieve and sufficient for anything up to Emporer.

Don't know what your policies are, but if I had to guess, then you've probably opened with Piety... if you did... don't do that. It lacks both, happiness and growth, thus only works with very specific strategies.

And yeah... trade routes. Very high priority.

With Greece you need a fast focus on trade routes, gold per turn, and exploration to find city states. Need food? Buy maritime CS. Find the cultural and faith CSs for their bonuses, and Mercantile for luxuries. Patronage should be your primary priority, open with Tradition, fill up to at least Monarchy, and then go into patronage early. You shouldn't ever have growth or happiness problems with Greece, because you can get just about everything other than production from CSs.

The biggest mistake here is not placing your civilizations in different luxuries for happiness.:mad:
you can also make happiness by making alliances with the cses that have luxuries that you don't have and having your population eat less...

Still bad. He is researching archaeology. Though his cap is food poor, a waterwheel and granary plus maybe an internal traderoute should have given him ample growth by then.

Yup, my bad. :D
I was fooled by a caravan build in 10turns and a writer's guild on 34 turns. I didn't see Tonga and Honolulu sizes.

I... I just can't explain it. I was playing and focusing on science, I think I ignored happiness/city growth to long. Can't trade for any luxs since the allies only have one.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

This game seems like a wash, but I had fun.

Much of your science comes from the population of your cities, so it is very important to grow your cities. If you are focusing on science, population is key to success. Happiness is extremely important to growth, so if you are trying for science, you need to get happiness as well.

Since GNK, there are so many things that can be built at any given time, so you really need to learn what is important, and what is not, based on your victory condition. As has been said, you should have all your cities at near population 20-35 by that turn. Your science should be near 700+, though your population is killing that. If you do go with lower populations, like sub 20, you need more cities.

This is a learning game. You won't be successful with it, but it might be possible to learn more from it and see how fast you can grow your cities. It is important that your cities are always growing as fast as they can, unless happiness is an issue, in which case, find a way to fix it. Trade luxury resources, get an ideology, build circuses, coliseums, zoos and what not. Wonders are out of the question atm, but many of them have good happiness perks. Your cities will not grow while unhappy.

You've got +71 Gold, so buy those Luxuries. Try to get the one that your capital is demanding for WLTKD. Also, buy a City State with another unique Luxury, a Mercantile one if there is any, if not, take a cultural one.

But if the AIs only have 1 copy of their luxuries, they won't be willing to sell to him. At least, I've never seen an AI do that in my games - not even the Netherlands.

But if the AIs only have 1 copy of their luxuries, they won't be willing to sell to him. At least, I've never seen an AI do that in my games - not even the Netherlands.
They do, but it's really overpriced. I think it starts with 22 gpt or something like that when you're friends, if they're neutral, they want ~30 gpt or so. A big investment, but it's still better than having gold that's basically lying around while the empire falls more and more behind as long as it can't grow.

And you only have to pay that much once - as soon as the deal runs out, the Ai will most likely have another copy lying around, because they don't trade their last copies away to other Civs, so you can get it for the normal price then.

Haha, even so, I consider trading for the AI's last copy complete highway robbery. I'd rather use the gold to rush-buy happiness buildings in every city. I guess if the situation was this desperate though...

So this is standard speed, right? Because he's researching Archaeology already. I think it's amazing that he managed to reach Archaeology by 1520 AD with cities that small and 133 science per turn.

buying that ai last lux is a smart move when it creates a WLKD, which will expand your population dramatically, even at the 30 gpt price.

Well I checked out some Lets Plays and changed my game play style. Food is important your city can grow into production or at least you should try to keep the turns until next population growth under 10 or close to 10 turns.

Also you should have settled a coastal city for extra trade routes and exploration is essential.

I think your assessment is pretty good. You can't ignore happiness/city growth for very long and still be successful. Being in negative happiness basically kills your growth, and in BNW, you can't do that.

With all your citrus (I'm assuming you're selling all of that), you seem to have a decent economy. You're Greece, so you should be able to use patronage policies/gold/complete missions to utterly dominate the city state game in this position. Use your money on those city states! The luxury resources they offer you could probably have put you back in to positive happiness a lot sooner, and the other benefits are really useful too!

Getting a costal city is not always necessary (but is useful), but sending out a few scouts/warriors at the very least to explore the ocean would have been a good idea. With more exploration, you can meet more city states (awesome for Greece) and meet more civilizations (which gives you more civs to trade luxes with, which would have been useful considering how much citrus you have).

EDIT: Other things I'm noticing, banana tiles are already really good unimproved, and I'm not sure if improving them is actually worthwhile. At the very least, they are low priority, as they give nice early game food as well as give good late game science. Focusing on other tiles more than the bananas could have helped you a bit, as that probably took a lot of turns that weren't incredibly worthwhile compared to what else your worker could have been doing. Having one worker on three cities is not great either, having 1 worker per city is generally how I do it. You could have eventually built roads between your cities with a few more workers too.

Top Bottom