How did tanks get there?

planetfall

Emperor
See screen shot, no open borders and yet 2 tanks are across the mountains and ready to attack. How did they get there? The tiles on my side of mountain are undeveloped, or neighborhood.

Attachments

• tanks-over-mountains.png
    tanks-over-mountains.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 154
Mountain tunnels.
You are obviously not familiar with them, they are insane and I use a mod which removes them from the game

Tunnels in this game are just teleportation portals, they are all connected and can transport units across the world in an instant. You missed the happy times when ships could also use them :)

You are obviously not familiar with them, they are insane and I use a mod which removes them from the game
Does this mod still allow Inca to build their Qhapaq Nan, which would make them even more powerful? :shifty:
You missed the happy times when ships could also use them :)
Apparently, I missed the happy times too. I assume they patched it out early?

Does this mod still allow Inca to build their Qhapaq Nan, which would make them even more powerful? :shifty:
I don’t know at this point. Haven’t encountered the Inca in my 2-3 games with this mod.

Tunnels in this game are just teleportation portals, they are all connected and can transport units across the world in an instant. You missed the happy times when ships could also use them :)

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to "teleport" to a lake surrounded by mountains. I placed a city hoping to take advantage of 2 lake resources in a lake surrounded by mountains (I didn't need the city, I was just running up the score). I couldn't get a builder through the tunnel into the lake. So much of my dreams of the perfect mountain lake.

ok, so that's why so many maps have good tiles surrounded by a ring of mountains, to force you to make tunnels. Pfft. Might be interesting if could destroy/block/pillage the tunnel.

ok, so that's why so many maps have good tiles surrounded by a ring of mountains, to force you to make tunnels
Nope, the mountain gen has always been full of unsatisfying clusters even before tunnels were introduced in GS.

I don’t, and haven’t since I learned how one tunnel connects to every other tunnel in the same mountain range. Coupled with attacks from tunnels several hexes away, it just breaks game immersion for me, leading me to the Remove Mountain Tunnels mod by TearsInRain (mod is from 2020).

Does anyone even build Mountain Tunnels?
It's very niche for me. Similar to the discussion and reasons about hydro dams over in https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/do-you-like-hydroelectic-dams.686834/ , mountain tunnels come pretty late in the game. If my core cities sit on one side of a mountain range, and my enemies (or barbs I want to clear) are on the other side, it will speed up movement of my troops to build a tunnel or two. Definitely not every game or even most games.

Mostly just for era score. But occasionally they make sense to bypass a big mountain range. Or in my case above when I wanted access to a lake (didn't work since it apparently has to be land tiles on both sides).

The AI on the other hand, just loves these things. Screws up me putting ski resorts when I take their cities.

So there is no way destroy a tunnel then, once built ?
Mountain improvements are indestructible and unpillageable. Since no unit can move onto a mountain, they made them permanent. I seem to remember the patch notes (while those were still a thing) where they mentioned that those improvements were changed to resist pillaging, to solve the problem of them being pillaged during a natural disaster and remaining in the pillaged state permanently. So now, when the end of time comes and civilizations are wiped out from the face of the world, the only remaining vestiges of them ever existing will be mountain tunnels and ski resorts. Unless it's Apocalypse mode and the place gets hit by a "comet".

Top Bottom