How do I speed-up AI processing between turns?

Lenox

Chieftain
Hi. First-time poster.

I'm not talking about combat animations and whatnot. I'm talking about the loading of AI civs, city-states, and barbarians. It seems to take 2-3 minutes between turns after my game is a few hundred turns in. I am even currently playing on a Small map with 5 AI civs and 12 city-states and it still has considerable loading times between turns.

Is turning on quick combat and movement the only solution? Even though I'm not visibly seeing those things take long. I actually LIKE seeing the AI battles between turns. But sometimes there is just a NEXT TURN because nothing significant happens either for me or the AI, and I still have to wait a significant amount of time between turns.

Welcome to the forums!

Turning on Quick Combat should shorten the processing time between turns. Quick Movement has no effect on turn processing. My computer is pretty old, and it is usually less than a minute between turns late game. Do you know your system specs?

Welcome to the forums!

Turning on Quick Combat should shorten the processing time between turns. Quick Movement has no effect on turn processing. My computer is pretty old, and it is usually less than a minute between turns late game. Do you know your system specs?

Windows 10 Home Version 1803 OS Build 17134.48
Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080 Driver 388.13 10/29/2017
1920 x 1200, 59Hz monitor

Have you tried dual booting win7 and seeing if the problem persists on the same save file?
I'm not sure what dual-booting is but this has happened across all save files and two different computers. For example, I'm on turn 550+ of my 8 Civ / 16-city-state game and the load time between turns is closer to a minute. When I started the game it was seconds. Does that help answer your question?

Keep in mind that with a game like Civ, the turn processing is naturally going to get slower as you progress. There simply isn't much that can be done about that. What difficulty are you on? Higher difficulties means the AI will most definitely have more units, which can also slow the game down. Just something to keep in mind.

Keep in mind that with a game like Civ, the turn processing is naturally going to get slower as you progress. There simply isn't much that can be done about that. What difficulty are you on? Higher difficulties means the AI will most definitely have more units, which can also slow the game down. Just something to keep in mind.
Did not know that. Emperor difficulty. Is Civ 6 better about that?

I wouldn't personally know. Wasn't very enticed by 6 and still find Civ V fun, so I never picked it up.

I would say a minute by turn 550 isn't too bad, but that might just be me. I usually play on huge maps with 22 civs so it can take up to 4-5 minutes for me by then.

I wouldn't personally know. Wasn't very enticed by 6 and still find Civ V fun, so I never picked it up.

I would say a minute by turn 550 isn't too bad, but that might just be me. I usually play on huge maps with 22 civs so it can take up to 4-5 minutes for me by then.
4-5 minute turns is horrendous. You answered my question. Lol. I guess I need to find something to do in between turns.

Well @Lenox, which situation is closer to what you are asking about?
It seems to take 2-3 minutes between turns after my game is a few hundred turns in. I am even currently playing on a Small map with 5 AI civs and 12 city-states and it still has considerable loading times between turns.
2-3 minutes between turns on turn 350 on a Small map with 5 AI civs is NOT the usual experience.
4-5 minutes between turns on turn 550 on a Huge map with 22 AI civs IS a common experience, and the main reason most people do not play huge maps.

Well @Lenox, which situation is closer to what you are asking about?

2-3 minutes between turns on turn 350 on a Small map with 5 AI civs is NOT the usual experience.

4-5 minutes between turns on turn 550 on a Huge map with 22 AI civs IS a common experience, and the main reason most people do not play huge maps.
I didn't know map size was the primary contributor to turn timer. I thought it was number of city-states. I'll play on a small map next time (I usually do Standard) and see if my experience is different.

I didn't know map size was the primary contributor to turn timer. I thought it was number of city-states. I'll play on a small map next time (I usually do Standard) and see if my experience is different.
The primary contributor to time between turns is the number of AI units being manipulated. More civs means more units. Larger maps means more space for units. Later in the game means there has been much more time for the AIs to build units. If single player combat is turned on, and the player has line of sight on many units, the UI needs to display all that, so the between turn wait can easily triple. But I am playing on an older computer and late game (t300+) the between turn wait is less than a minute for Standard size maps.

Top Bottom