How do you increase civilizations beyond the allowed level?

articus

Chieftain
Hi, I was looking for a way to overcome the maximum civilization limit you can have in a game. I remember that in the standard civ 3 .. you could have even 2 times the same civilization, in the conquest, however, it cannot be done.

This can be achieved using the Editor. For each World Size, you can set the total number of players to anything up to 31 (the 32nd is always the Barbarians).

Wouldn't recommend putting 31 Civs on a Tiny (60*60) map, though, because the map-generator will tend to run out of 'valid' starting positions fairly quickly -- and once that happens, all the remaining initial Settlers usually end up getting placed directly adjacent to the first starting-location, i.e. yours! (The human-controlled Civ always gets the "Player 1" slot, by default).

You can, however, also adjust the World-Sizes. So you could make a Tiny map measure 90*90 tiles (+50% in each direction, i.e. 2.25x more tiles in total), and then have, say, 9-10 Civs instead of 4.

Yes, I already knew these things, I have been playing civilization 3 since 2002, but I was wondering if you knew of any programs that would allow you to surpass 31 civilizations or duplicate existing ones as is possible in the standard edition.

No, 31 Civs (plus Barbs) is a hardcoded limit in Conquests (and in Vanilla Civ3 it was only 16). AFAIK, to date, hacking the .exe to increase this has never proven possible.

But it is possible that you might be mis-remembering? As I understand it, CivIV includes several versions of the same Civ, but run by different leaders (I have IV as well as III, but have only ever started a couple of games), e.g. the Britons(?) might be led by Boudica, or Victoria(?) -- and I think that both versions of any given Civ could potentially show up within a single game.

But it is possible that you might be mis-remembering? As I understand it, CivIV includes several versions of the same Civ, but run by different leaders (I have IV as well as III, but have only ever started a couple of games), e.g. the Britons(?) might be led by Boudica, or Victoria(?) -- and I think that both versions of any given Civ could potentially show up within a single game.
Civilization IV does have multiple leaders for some civilisations (Boudica and Brennus can both lead the Celts, while Elizabeth, Victoria, and Churchill can lead the English), but by default, you won't find the same civilisation under different rulers in one game.

You can, in Civilization IV, expand the amount of civilisations in one map to... 50? 51? Infinity? Unsure. And you can have one civilisation, or even one leader, appear multiple times, if you create a custom game.

But all of this is not possible in Civilization III.

No, 31 Civs (plus Barbs) is a hardcoded limit in Conquests (and in Vanilla Civ3 it was only 16). AFAIK, to date, hacking the .exe to increase this has never proven possible.

I remember a few years ago I managed to put 31 civilizations in the standard edition, AI controlled England, England 2, England 3 etc. But I don't remember how I managed to do such a thing, perhaps trivially it was a bug of the editor of Civ3. While the Conquest does not allow it. So that's why I asked if you knew a way to eliminate the limit of 31 civilizations in the conquest.

Wouldn't recommend putting 31 Civs on a Tiny (60*60) map, though, because the map-generator will tend to run out of 'valid' starting positions fairly quickly -- and once that happens, all the remaining initial Settlers usually end up getting placed directly adjacent to the first starting-location, i.e. yours! (The human-controlled Civ always gets the "Player 1" slot, by default).

I used to enjoy doing that, I got a lot of free workers that way.

I remember a few years ago I managed to put 31 civilizations in the standard edition, AI controlled England, England 2, England 3 etc. But I don't remember how I managed to do such a thing, perhaps trivially it was a bug of the editor of Civ3. While the Conquest does not allow it. So that's why I asked if you knew a way to eliminate the limit of 31 civilizations in the conquest.

You mean something like that: :D

Celts1.jpg

Celts2.jpg

The original screenshots and the story about it can be found in the RARR thread in this and the following posts:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-52#post-15815381

Top Bottom