How do you rate Civ V after the first 4 weeks?

How do you rate Civ V?

• A = Excellent

Votes: 76 10.0%
  • B = Good

Votes: 223 29.2%
  • C = Average

Votes: 155 20.3%
  • D = Below par

Votes: 203 26.6%
  • F = Total failure

Votes: 106 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirMaru

Chieftain
I give Civ V an "A" after almost 4 weeks since Sep 21, 2010. How do you rate it from "A" (best) to "F" (failure)?

C. Average. It isn't a bad game, but when the game you're supposedly succeding is heaps and bounds better and more addictive, there is something wrong.

I would have gone for the missing option "E" (very much below par), but since for good reasons that one was missing, I've chosen D, but with a tendency down.

This should be a poll methinks.

I'd rate it a D- to E+. I'd tell the student that he handed the paper in way too early and ask the student to rewrite substantial parts of the essay as his core ideas are flawed.

I'd also remind the student that there are some very good sources that he could have used to make the essay much, much better and ask him why he ignored them.

Finally, I'd ask the student if there is something wrong in his personal life because I expected so much more from that student, considering they got an A+ on their last essay. ;)

EDIT: It is a poll now.

After a week of playing i put it down and realized that once you get past the graphics and hexes there just isnt much under the hood.
With some work it may be a C or even a B but right now its a D.

I'd rate it a D- to E+. I'd tell the student that he handed the paper in way too early and ask the student to rewrite substantial parts of the essay as his core ideas are flawed.

I'd also remind the student that there are some very good sources that he could have used to make the essay much, much better and ask him why he ignored them.

Finally, I'd ask the student if there is something wrong in his personal life because I expected so much more from that student, considering they got an A+ on their last essay. ;)

The analogy is excellent. But the student would answer:

Professor, I understand all this, and I wholeheartedly agree. However, the university does not consider your course so important that I can spend as much time as I need in my essay. The essay you asked of us is a very complex one, but there are so many courses requiring easier assignments that weight so much more in the GPA, I can't devote my fully attention. I'm sorry, but that's the way things work around here.

I really liked the game at first, until I learned the tricks and there is, IMO, very little in the game to engage a repeat player. Combat is like shooting fish in a barrel. Just keep spamming cities, build trading posts and colisseums. Who cares about diplomacy, they're all hostile idiots, just take what you want if you must. I try to see the positive traits, but so much is wrong right now, I must give the game a D. And a D is like an F-lite as far as I'm concerned.

I posted the same poll in the other Forum here:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95176

That one is showing a shocking 37% "D" or "F" as of Oct 17, 8:35 PM EDT.

I voted "A" in both polls.

Please take off the rose colored glasses and see it for what it really is......

Moderator Action: Please don't just make snide comments, explain the reasoning behind your disagreement.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

not shocking at all. all the people who wanted cIV.2 are pissed off about it, as are all the emperor+ players. I was burned out on cIV years ago and am now rejuvenated, and I only played on monarch in cIV so I'm happy as a clam. I just bumped up to immortal/deity now instead of monarch/emperor. Gave it an A.

The student should recieve an incomplete. I'd praise the student for his attempt to take his writing and ideas in new and interesting directions. Writing something truly original is more difficult than sticking to the same safe and effective, albeit tired old formula from past assignments. If I had wanted to re-read his thoughts from last semester, I wouldn't have assigned the new project. I can always visit my archives, where I still have a copy of his old paper.

I would, however, remind the student that in his excitment over his new epiphany, he neglected to follow certain basic and critical rules of grammar and punctuation. Fortunately, such errors are easily edited.

I'd encourage the student to work hard to fix the errors in his paper, as some of his new ideas are too good to remain unfinished in their current state. I also can only hope that he uses the jeers of the neighborhood bullies mocking him for his incomplete grade as a motivation, rather than a reason to give up on his grade entirely.

I'd give it a C-. However it is interesting to see that a bimodal distribution is emerging - with people either going for B (somewhat liking it) or D (disliking it). I guess those who give it a B still hope that the flaws will be fixed in patches/XPs, while those giving it a D think it's hopeless.

The student should recieve an incomplete. I'd praise the student for his attempt to take his writing and ideas in new and interesting directions. Writing something truly original is more difficult than sticking to the same safe and effective, albeit tired old formula from past assignments. If I had wanted to re-read his thoughts from last semester, I wouldn't have assigned the new project. I can always visit my archives, where I still have a copy of his old paper.

I would, however, remind the student that in his excitment over his new epiphany, he neglected to follow certain basic and critical rules of grammar and punctuation. Fortunately, such errors are easily edited.

I'd encourage the student to work hard to fix the errors in his paper, as some of his new ideas are too good to remain unfinished in their current state. I also can only hope that he uses the jeers of the neighborhood bullys mocking him for his incomplete grade as a motivation, rather than a reason to give up on his grade entirely.

Actually, the student's problems lie much deeper than mere grammatical errors and punctuation. Certainly there was plenty of that but his whole essay was extremely dull and didn't capture the imagination at all. Many of his suppositions are completely flawed and frankly don't make any sense.

On the contrary, many of the student's backers and supporters who contributed to paying for his education are quite disappointed in him for putting in such a hap hazard effort. They can see that he is very eager but not at all focused on what the main goal was and ended up being all over the map.

I would recommend that he look back to prior essays and see why they were graded so high. Obviously he is strongly advised not to copy them but learn from them. To dismiss them so blatantly is the height of arrogance.

In the future, if the student wishes to deviate from the course so much, he'll be advised to sign up for another class. Perhaps a class on warfare throughout the ages. After all, this seems to be where the student's real interests lie.

Im in the D range. Stand-alone, if I never played a Civ release before, I might like it. But I think its such a step backward, even from Civ IV Vanilla.

As far as "fixing it" go, I dont have very high hopes. Many aspects of the game I just cant get into. The sporadic AI, the City States, 1upt, looking at trading posts, etc...

But whatever. Some people really enjoy it. Personally, I never burned out on IV, so Im fine with playing that wonderful game. Just because they released what I view as an inferior game, doesnt take away the greatness they previously created.

I was burned out on cIV years ago and am now rejuvenated, and I only played on monarch in cIV so I'm happy as a clam. I just bumped up to immortal/deity now instead of monarch/emperor. Gave it an A.

So, your reason to give it an A was that now, while still having the same skills, you can play at "higher" difficulty levels? :rolleyes:

not shocking at all. all the people who wanted cIV.2 are pissed off about it, as are all the emperor+ players. I was burned out on cIV years ago and am now rejuvenated, and I only played on monarch in cIV so I'm happy as a clam. I just bumped up to immortal/deity now instead of monarch/emperor. Gave it an A.

Thats the whole problem with this game, its been made easy why? where's the challenge, it doesnt feel right when half the people on this forum are playing on diety right?

Somewhat like you i was as emperor level player at CIV, after months / years of playing, improving bit by bit. Civ V comes out and 4 weeks later immortal seems to be under control, i look set to take on diety :eek:

WOW! I must be some player ha :rolleyes:

Even if you like it now, for this very reason, after a while you will find the replayability lost since it is not challenging.

I for one have found the game less and less appealing since the first week, and am only playing once on each level till i beat diety, once i do that i suspect, i will just have to wait for proper patches and maybe an expansion pack to enjoy this game.

BTW - i voted C. But i think this game with a good expansion pack may even reach an A or at least a B.

I guess those who give it a B still hope that the flaws will be fixed in patches/XPs, while those giving it a D think it's hopeless.

Not for me, really (I gave it a D). After this first big patch it has potential to reach C status, and then who knows... some more good fixes and some kickass mods might get it to a B.

I still have hope. ;)

So, your reason to give it an A was that now, while still having the same skills, you can play at "higher" difficulty levels? :rolleyes:

no, I was explaining why I'm not bored by it. If I had been a constant emperor + player on cIV I probably wouldn't enjoy ciV as much b/c the challenge was much greater on the higher difficulty levels. Why is that so hard to understand? Just b/c somebody doesn't share your POV doesn't make that person wrong.

Im in the D range. Stand-alone, if I never played a Civ release before, I might like it. But I think its such a step backward, even from Civ IV Vanilla.

As far as "fixing it" go, I dont have very high hopes. Many aspects of the game I just cant get into. The sporadic AI, the City States, 1upt, looking at trading posts, etc...

But whatever. Some people really enjoy it. Personally, I never burned out on IV, so Im fine with playing that wonderful game. Just because they released what I view as an inferior game, doesnt take away the greatness they previously created.

You can eliminate all City States and all the AI's but one if you don't want them. Just use Advanced Settings.

Top Bottom