1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How does AI build units/buildings so fast ?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Desmond5, Jul 7, 2004.

1. DogmaDog

DogmaDog Chieftain

I would pack my cities fairly close on a small home continent. Even with only two tiles between cities, each city can still grow to size 8 without any overlap, and they won't get that big for a while, so 2 or 3 tiles between cities is fine.

Keeping London where you put it, you could put a city on the goody hut NW of London, then another city on the forest S of the coal (it will be able to build Iron Works later). A 4th city could go at the NE tip of the island. If you moved London one square SE, you could add a 5th city at the SW tip of the island, but it's probably better to leave London where it is, and road and irrigate the cow in order to make a settler factory. (See Bamspeedy's article on "diety settlers" to figure this out). Basically, if you can set up a city to grow in size by two in the same time it can build a settler, you can crank out settlers continuously.

Gwadaman, there are two things you can do: one is to build a queue for what you want the city to build. Hold shift while you click on "swordsman" to add a swordsman to the queue. shift-click 5 times, and your city will build 5 swords in a row. Also, in "preferences" from the main menu, you can tell the game to prompt you when new production begins, or to not prompt you, etc.

DogmaDog

2. Tranquility

Tranquility Grand unifier

It depends on the difficulty. The a.I gets bonuses the more advance they are.

3. dmanakho

dmanakho Chieftain

scoutsout:
    Why would you put cities on top of iron and coal???
    wouldn't it be a waste of shields???
    In my understanding if you put city on top of resource and that resource produces extra shields those shields are wasted....
    Wouldn't it better to place city on grass land and later mine those hills, city will become much more productive that way.

4. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Well, first of all... we shouldn't be "seeing" that coal yet, and you're many, many turns from getting extra shields off that hill. (If you made screencap that with Dianthus' utility, try re-checking the resources spoiler box ;) )

You are right, you lose a few shields on the iron hill that might otherwise be available, however, in this case I saw a few other things.

1) England doesn't have a lot of land to work with. It's important to get as many cities as you reasonably can, and work as many tiles as you reasonably can, as early as you can. The plan is built around a city-tile-tile-city pattern, though I think it's tighter in 2 places.

2) Fresh water is important. You don't need aqueducts to get cities past size 6 if they're on a river.

3) The plan keeps cities off bonus grassland (the grass with the little gray dot). A BG will give you 2 food and (when mined) 2 shields in Despotism. It can also be developed faster than a hill can.

You're welcome to scrap my dotmap and try something different... I'll never know the difference. But now you know my rationale behind the dot placement.

5. dmanakho

dmanakho Chieftain

Scoutsout:

Very thoughtful explanation... I totally agree on coal part...
    We would not know it will appear on that hill.

But i still would not place a city on top of the iron hill but rather on a brown tile to NE...
    Wouldn't it still be concidered next to the river?

Desmond5: You probably want to listen to scoutsout's advice rather than mine... He is a much better player than myself. :cool:

6. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Yes it would... the only immediate disadvantage I see is that a cultural expansion would be needed to capture the plains tile SW of the Iron hill...the plains tile with the horses on it. I don't know what level this game is, but those cultural improvements take a back seat to military needs in upper level games.

7. Longasc

Longasc Chieftain

Hi Desmond5, what world map are you using actually? The map supplied with the game or another world map?

8. Desmond5

Desmond5 Chieftain

I'm using Rhyes of Civilization v2.4 modification (works only with Conquests), witch includes the new terrain (on picture) and new Earth map (170x170, one of the best I've seen, I can allmost see my house from it :) ) with rules that are especially ment for this Earth map (i.e. AI won't colonize Sahara desert, Antarctica, bigger jungles and so on). Suprisingly it's a hellofalot faster that any other Earth map I've seen. For me, it gave me a reason to continue playing Civilization.

Regards, Desmond

9. Desmond5

Desmond5 Chieftain

Try to win this mod (map) as Zululand at Deity or Sid level (I tried for fun) ... Mission Impossible 3