How does religion affect diplomacy?

Am I missing something here? I thought Firaxis said that religion would affect diplomacy until ideologies (order, autocracy, etc) came into play?

My understanding is that if the majority of another Civ's population follows your religion, you will get a relations boost.

You will get a penalty for spreading your religion in another Civ's cities.

Not sure how this works in practice. I imagine that you will get a relations penalty as you spread your religion until it becomes the majority, at which point you get a bonus. Also not sure if you get a penalty for 'natural' spread or only from active spreading with Missionaries.

You also get a relations bonus with City States that follow your religion.

You don't formally adopt a religion as in Civ IV (wish there was a way to do this directly) but can control which religions are in your cities through Missionaries and Inquisitors.

No penalty for natural spread, and penalty for missionary spread only impacts civs spreading another religion. Any civ without a religion will not mind missionary work though missionaries thhemselves lose faith power in foreign land. GP does not have that and can enter rival land.

With follower belief possible. i used religious texts enhancer so rarely had multiples mine rubbed others out. YOu can capture enemy great prophets, at least in town. i inherited a Great Prophet Christian when I took Moscow and accidentaly spread it there.

Pizzaspy, i spread in a city with foreign religion last game and got a pop-uo from civ saying stop it , and a negative modifier, turned Russia against me, with religion negative.

No penalty for natural spread, and penalty for missionary spread only impacts civs spreading another religion. Any civ without a religion will not mind missionary work though missionaries thhemselves lose faith power in foreign land. GP does not have that and can enter rival land.

With follower belief possible. i used religious texts enhancer so rarely had multiples mine rubbed others out. YOu can capture enemy great prophets, at least in town. i inherited a Great Prophet Christian when I took Moscow and accidentaly spread it there.

One thing I noticed last night, Attila got a positive modifier when I used a missionary in his lands that read "Attila happily accepts the spread of religion in his lands"

He had nothing so I suppose I gave him a follower perk and he was happy about it?

I'm assuming if you usurp a competing religion it would cause a neg modifier ( haven't done this yet though )

One quick question, each city can have how many religions? and if more then 1, is it owrth it?

It's based on the population of the city. If you hover over the city name you can see how many followers each religion has, and whichever religion constitutes a majority of the population determines what religious bonuses you get.

Since you can't have more than 1 majority religion, you can't get multiple bonuses from it. The downside to using inquisitors to stamp out other religions is that you need an enhancer trait to get them, so it takes up a slot in your religion that would otherwise give you more bonuses.

YOu dont need enhancr for inquisitor, enhancer for them is 30% cost reduction which also affects missionaries. My enhancer will always be religious texts though so powerful. By end game for 2 in a row whole pangaea except one or two foreign religion holy areas was my religion and I stopped spreading by 120.

Top Bottom