How does warmonger penalty decay vary with game speed?

Barking Iguana

Chieftain
I have read that any warmonger diplomatic penalty you've incurred diminishes by 5 each turn. I assume that's for standard speed. Does that mean 2/3 * 5 rounded to 3 per turn on epic and 1/3 * 5 rounded to 2 per turn on marathon?

Also, I have read contradictory reports of whether you get penalties with civs you haven't met yet. The more recent stuff says you don't. Is that correct?

I have almost no experience with aggressive play. I tried it a few times many games ago and found it impractical both strategically and for real-world time consumption. But I'm thinking of giving it another try. Even though I now play on Immortal and it was on way back on Prince that I decided it was impractical.

You don't get penalties with civs you haven't met, BUT you might quickly decay diplomatic relationships with them if, for example they already like civs that you warred with and those civs denounce you.
The warmonger penalty also decreases by age so if you did some conquering in ancient/classical era and you manage to avoid chain denunciations, they will be forgiven later. An interesting side affect of this is that you can declare war to a neighbor and steal how many workers and/or settlers from him. Later when you make peace with him, for example in the clasical era, the AI might even want a declaration of friendship soon after the peace deal!

Thank you. Though I see it actually decreases each turn. The initial penalty increases by age, not decreases. But either way, over time, existing penalties fade.

I still hope to find whether the rate at which existing penalties fade is affected by game speed. And if so, what the numbers are.

Top Bottom