How many cities do you own?

Gustomucho81

Chieftain
I am not sure if it is a good strategy but whenever I capture a city I keep it. I am now in 2000 and I have all techs, I make +163 gold each turn @ 10% taxe.

I always played like that... I end up with 20+ cities.. on large maps.

Is it too much?

There is no such thing as too much provided that you can still maintain your science rate (I don't like to have mine below 80 and even that is a pain). In the early game I like to found a religion not just for the culture and happiness benefits but also for the money. Spreading your religion is a great way to cover city maintenance costs, espcially in the early game. It thus lets you get a few more cities than you could otherwise afford. As the game goes on, the # of cities you can support goes up when you get to the economic techs and get those financial buildings built. So as long as you're economy can support it build build build.

If your cash flow is still postive(edit: and you can adequately defend all of them), you don't have too many cities. If you are looking for comparisons, in the games I have played so far I've averaged about a dozen cities, with 15 as my high and I think 10 or 11 as my low. For whatever that's worth. ;)

Then let me ask you this:

If there is a "soft cap" on the number of cities you can reasonably have, then how can you take and hold territory without gaining too many cities?

Top Bottom