How many ways have you lost?

How many different ways have you lost to the AI?

• Domination

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Culture

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Diplomacy

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Science (Space Ship)

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • City-States took me over!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barbarians killed me off

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Took over all my cities before game ended

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I've never lost to the AI

Votes: 47 66.2%

• Total voters

ButSam

King
How many different ways have you lost on Civ V? Check all that apply... (the last option is exclusive though.)

The first 4 options are if the AI beat you to a certain victory condition but you were still around to see it. The 5th option is if City-States wiped you out because they ganged up on you. The sixth option is for poor souls who lost early on because the barbs killed off their starting settler. The 7th option (2nd to last) is when you were eliminated from the game so it didn't come to one of the 4 standard victory conditions and you decided it's not worth "Just...one...more...turn" just to see how the AI won.

I guess technically you could lose a Time victory, but I'm not really interested in those stats -- I want to see if the AI, although it is accused to be weak (and may well be so, I'm just not a strong player), at least has some variety in how it wins.

Only ever lost via domination, although there have been a few close saves with the science victory.

So far, no culture or diplomacy wins. I think the lack of diplomacy wins in particular feeds into the "city-states are overpowered" feeling because there isn't as much competition for their favor if nobody else cares about a diplomatic victory. This also means I have my work cut out if I decide to mod the AI...it's not just that the AI needs help fighting wars, the AI also needs help with achieving other strategies.

So people can actually lose with the AI in its present state? Huh, that must be difficult...

Yeah. I have yet to lose at all. Not that I've played that many games (6 or 7). I haven't tried Deity yet, but I've done everything else starting from Prince.

And I didn't finish all of those games. I quit a few of them. I guess I could theoretically have lost them, if something crazy and unexpected happened, but I was very much in the lead in all of them.

I lost once. Sort of. I was trying to get Montezuma's achievement, so I ran my starting settler all over the place in order to find a lake. Turns out, there must be a turn limit on settling cities (I forgot to turn off "complete kills"), so I died on like turn 10 or something.

I've only lost via time because there seems to be a small bug when selecting your victory conditions. I unchecked time but apparently it didn't stick. I'd gotten myself all set up for a great culture victory within the next 20 or so turns when the next turn came up and it told me I'd lost due to time.

I could have cried :cry:

Looks like someone did vote for Culture; would whoever that was mind elaborating some if you recall the details? (Do you remember game year? How many AIs were there? Do you know what policy tracks were completed?)

There's no my option in poll. I lost to a AI's time victory. Missed just a couple of turns to complete my spaceship.

No losses to the AI yet. Only way I've lost so far is by playing on a Huge Earth Map. I had to restart that game with smaller map settings.

It's possible to mistake your starting settler for a scout and move within range of a barb camp. Might take 2 turns to actually lose. Depends on the barb.

Are people counting the times they reloaded because they didn't like the map, or quit on turn 100 because their neighbor DoW on them with 15 units when they had 1 warrior?

Cause there has always been a lot of that Civ and yet people never seem to count it as a loss unless you ask them. Sure I bet some portion of those games can be salvaged, but many cannot.

I always love the people from Civ 4 who used to be "I never lose on Immortal" and then you ask them how and they start out with "Well I reload the map 25 times until I get 4 golds/gems, and then I reload if my landmass is too big or too small, or if I have the wrong neighbors, and then I reload if I get attacked before I am ready."

I think the only way (barring getting your starting settler killed) you can really lose is on time, if you're going for a victory condition like culture or space and run out of turns. I lost a game when going for the Bollywood achievement.

That's not an option though.

I have't lost but I haven't played higher than King yet, I am playing on some different map sizes/speeds to see what I like. Then I will keep cranking up the difficulty till I start losing. At which point I will probably turn it down one notch. I like to play random leaders/random maps. So I wouldn't play on any difficulty were I feel pigon-holed into using a just a small selection of counties.

Havn't lost...but havn't 'officially' won either :D My first game was on king, and I decided to play peaceful without any strategy, just build, defend, and watch the computer to see if they could achieve a victory condition.

But that got really boring right around the modern age so I started a new game.

Top Bottom