How much is the game worth to you?

How much would you pay for CiVilization?

• Not even a buck!

Votes: 26 10.4%
  • A buck.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • 5 to 10 dollars

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • 10-30 dollars

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • 40 dollars

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • 40+ dollars

Votes: 83 33.1%

• Total voters
Yes. I played for 74 hours so far, which is much better than what I get out of most games. (In fact I paid EUR 55, which is a fairly normal price hereabouts, and I generally consider a game worth this sum if it provides me with 30 or more hours of gameplay.)

If I were to put Civ V away now due to its various undebatable shortcomings, it would be a much worse deal than Civ IV+BtS eventually turned out to be, but still compare favourably to most other games I buy. I do however expect the rough edges to be smoothed out over time, I can wait if that means I'm getting a better deal after all.

But you have to take into account how much of that 74 hours is waiting IBT.

This game is worth $10-15 in its current state. Maybe after a few patches it could be worth near $30 or so. But, since I now know that we will be buying several "expansions" for $10-20 each, I find it a stretch to pay anywhere near $40 for this.

I got it as a gift, but honestly it looks like the smart move is to just wait for the $25 complete edition when it finally comes out. Owning this is a financial liability right now because we are locking ourselves into another $30-$50 in expansions, which will include many things that should have been in this first "product."

Wouldn't pay anything for it . . . unless I had a buyer lined up who would instantly pay much more than I did. :p

Bad game = no purchase.

Didn't buy it. Won't change. Didn't buy civIII either.

Considering I haven't bought it yet, it is worth 0. I will eventually buy it once it's fixed and the price comes down. But in it's present state it is worth 0.

I voted $5-10, purely because it would complete my set of all incarnations of Civ. But I paid more, in the vain expectation of getting something better than BtS which Civ 5 most certainly is not. Nor, most regrettably, do I see that any number of patches will solve the problems and the dullness. It seems inevitable these days that vast effort is expended on eye candy (which applies equally vast loads to computing power) while very, very little thought goes into the gameplay.

To anybody who might be considering Civ 5 as their first Civ game: stop right there. Do not buy it as it stands: do not accept it as a gift unless you can return it unopened for a full refund. If you are offered a used copy free, refuse it.

Top Bottom