How should we buff France?

Why not use normal units for war and do it early in the game long before the unique unit?

You don't need to build wonders and if you do you get a bonus doing so as long as they are of the correct era. I don't know how many turns it save but Im pretty sure it also add extra production from chopping and possibly great engineers so you have that as well.

Why not use normal units for war and do it early in the game long before the unique unit?

You don't need to build wonders and if you do you get a bonus doing so as long as they are of the correct era.

This is an absurd question.

Because you will be bullied by warcart, saka horseman, legions, immortal, hetairoi, and a great lists of these early UU, long before you've got yours. And your UU cannot help you when their time comes.

The only leaders that you stand a chance to try are Victoria, Pedro II, Peter and Teddy. They too have pretty late UU. But when they have their uniques, you should still pray for your life as CdM.

One point to note, you cant beat Germany, even they hv late UU, as they out-produce you in every way.

Well if with later era starts you don't have to worry about the ancient era units and with rise and fall expansion may hurt these civs as they may not be able to exploit their early unique units as much.

I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Germany do what France fo but better because that is not true at all. Neither Germany not England have a way to mass produce culture the way France can do with its unique improvement.

I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Germany do what France fo but better because that is not true at all. Neither Germany not England have a way to mass produce culture the way France can do with its unique improvement.

Militarily speaking, are we not talking in the same direction? I don't think we can throw in culture to defeat invading force

Militarily speaking, are we not talking in the same direction? I don't think we can throw in culture to defeat invading force
The only military change I think would be in order would be some way for upgrade to the guard unit. But France is not particular weaker during the early game than some of the other civs and is far more dangerous if it gets big than many other civs due to having a spamable Culture improvement.

While other civs may have an easier time during the early game, France is generally better at using the land it got so it is kind of a quality vs a quantity thing.

Having strong Culture can help France military as well with the ability to unlock stuff such as armies earlier than many other civs.

Maybe one thing that could be added to France is that they get back more production if they fail a wonder to reduce the risk with using their wonder building ability.

Last edited:
The only military change I think would be in order would be some way for upgrade to the guard unit. But France is not particular weaker during the early game than some of the other civs and is far more dangerous if it gets big than many other civs due to having a spamable Culture improvement.

While other civs may have an easier time during the early game, France is generally better at using the land it got so it is kind of a quality vs a quantity thing.

Having strong Culture can help France military as well with the ability to unlock stuff such as armies earlier than many other civs.

Maybe one thing that could be added to France is that they get back more production if they fail a wonder to reduce the risk with using their wonder building ability.

I am not sure if you have some confusions in the difference between culture and science...

What units can be unlocked by culture, except for the privateer naval units? It is science that brings units in civ VI.
Culture can't unlock units, at least not giving a change of tides in military. Please take a look at the civic tree when you play next time.

And high culture doesn't give any aggressive advantages, neither in conquest, nor in cultural victory. It acts as a defense against other civ's tourism. Except you are telling me that we can throw culture to enemies to deal damage....

And France is, certainly, not weaker than other civs in early game.
Just because most other civs are stronger than France in it.

For quality land management, a number of civs like Japan is better than France. And as mentioned above, the river adjacency requirement of Chateau greatly restricts their construction.

you get armies and corps form Culture not science. Also some of the policy cards from Culture are very strong and have really cost whatsoever while most of the science stuff you have to build such as the buildings.

With flight tile improvement that give Culture also start giving tourism so civs that can build Culture tile improvements do have an advantage here.

The river requirement is a problem but that is their only requirement so rivers will be lined with chateaus.

you get armies and corps form Culture not science. Also some of the policy cards from Culture are very strong and have really cost whatsoever while most of the science stuff you have to build such as the buildings.

With flight tile improvement that give Culture also start giving tourism so civs that can build Culture tile improvements do have an advantage here.

The river requirement is a problem but that is their only requirement so rivers will be lined with chateaus.

Corps and Armies are really late to come in hand, even if you are fast in culture. And in my knowledge, corps and armies need mutiple units to form. I dont think they are really practical for france, when a grande imperiale needs 8-9 turns to produce. And you need 27 turns to make an army, while in those sweet 27 turns science focus civs can prodcue infantry to smash Grande Imperiale to the ground.

When talking about the advance of civic tree, China, Egypt, Greece, Rome and Japan are more powerful than france. The chateau comes at humanism, which is really late in the civic tree. Rome can spam cities with free monuments, Greece can have a higher culture output theatre district and Japan has extra adjacency bonus. Egypt and China are fierce early wonder builders. France is certainly shadowed in front of them. Except, if you are only playing against USA, then France will certainly win ( in terms of civic tree advancing). And in my experience, France will only barely catch up in civics after Chateau has come, but never get too much ahead.

Yes, they will give tourism after flight, if you survive beyond that. Even after you start to output tourism with the chateau, say you have got 10( which is very unlikely in normal game play, most of the time we can get only 6 chateau adj to wonders, if we even get wonders). You will get 40 extra tourism, which is a bit of seasoning, but not the main course of tourism. And if you are really lucky to survive to very late game, I am afriad that space victory may still be faster than those 80( doubled by computer) tourism advantage. But when France's strength is really not solid, I can only pray for a cultural victory.

Something may look nice on paper, but they just suck at practical conditions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom