How to best use IMP?

Bhavv - Unhappy doesn't last too long with a single whip, balancing growth thru "helper" cities sharing food, staying at ideal population for whipping, not happy cap, for extra margin, lots of methods

Denkt - with economy, which financial provides, the larger empire will catch up, provides it is not taken out militarily. Certainly the smaller empire can reach a certain point faster, but consider a peaceful runaway AI, it normally Rex'd well, than had time to let the empire/economy mature.

Certainly the larger empire will need geographic, diplomatic, or just plain lucky help, but a larger empire has more potential.

It is a longer wait, but worth the time when it works. Instead of wave after wave or rushes, like a typical dom/con game, you wait until you have the edge and take the world in one go. i have had tanks fighting riflemen on Monarch, and I don't consider myself a good player at all

On marahon the unhappiness lasts for ages. I see two consecutive whips being the most and then you're stuck with a size 2-3 city in most games if you didn't start near luxury resources.

The only real unhappiness problem occurs very early in the game after a single or double whip and the herbalist event pops-up which will add another 2 unhappiness if you gamble to get the +2 :health: for every city and future cities.
That bonus is simply to good.

On marahon the unhappiness lasts for ages. I see two consecutive whips being the most and then you're stuck with a size 2-3 city in most games if you didn't start near luxury resources.
Forgive if I am wrong, but isn't whip-unhappy scaled for game speed?

And the strongest whip isn't consecutive, per se, it is whip, grow, whip, grow, finding that sweet spot and mixing in a worker/settler to keep the balance

Tatran- I agree, once I start getting some :) sources it is all gravy, just sometimes getting them is tough

Unhappiness from whipping on marathon is 30 turns, 3 time the standard whip anger time.

So its 3 times the unhappiness while units only cost 2 times as much.

Not really sure if that makes it better or worse than standard. Someone could do the maths if they want.

So its 3 times the unhappiness while units only cost 2 times as much.

Not really sure if that makes it better or worse than standard. Someone could do the maths if they want.

Hrrmm, I'd say better, cause managing overflow into the next unit becomes stronger, depends on how well you micromanage, I suppose

It also takes 3 times as long to regrow the whipped population, so managing whip anger shouldn't be that much different.

The one thing to remember when playing imp cleader:

The first mine you put is on plain hill instead of grasshill, when you start on 2hammer tile. That allows faster 2nd city.

GWall strategy can be usefull but always better to take GWall from someone (unless industrious Augustus).

I like Joao and Cyrus the most.
Joao allows to whip settler into worker, giving settler and worker turn by turn.
Imperialistic + charismatic Cyrus is probably in top3 warmongers in player's hands (more generals = more promotions), especially with immortals allowing very early succesful wars

Top Bottom