How to break ICS in a mod?

After playtesting the "happy buildings cost more production per city" I'm thinking it might not be the way to go. Or perhaps I just placed the bar too high, +15 hammers per city is pretty rediculous.

But it effectively becomes maintenance, since colosseums eventually can only efficiently be made through buying them. Which may not be bad, since it slows you down a lot if you expnd too much, but I feel gold is one of the things that makes Civ 5 so versatile, and I'd rather it not simply be the threshold for how much you expand. So I'm eager to try out this new +unhappiness per city. Didn't even know that was possible :D

INSERT INTO Language_en_US (Tag, Text) VALUES ('TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CITY_HELP', 'More cities makes your population more unhappy.');
INSERT INTO Language_en_US (Tag, Text) VALUES ('TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CITY', 'City Hall.');
INSERT INTO BuildingClasses (Type, DefaultBuilding) VALUES ('BUILDINGCLASS_CITY', 'BUILDING_CITY');
INSERT INTO Buildings (Type, Description, Civilopedia, Help, BuildingClass, FreeStartEra, CityCountUnhappinessMod, ArtDefineTag, MinAreaSize, ConquestProb, HurryCostModifier, IconAtlas, PortraitIndex) VALUES ('BUILDING_CITY', 'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CITY', 'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CITY', 'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CITY_HELP', 'BUILDINGCLASS_CITY', 'ERA_ANCIENT', 50, 'COURTHOUSE', -1, 100, -1, 'BW_ATLAS_1', 63);
UPDATE Defines SET Value = 1 WHERE Name = 'UNHAPPINESS_PER_CITY';

Ok this is kinda funny...
Did not have a lot of time to playtest last night but I think I figured out what is going on.
I decided early on that CityCountUnhappinessMod == 20 would not [as I put it] "bring on the pain fast enough" and changed to CityCountUnhappinessMod == 50

Well I fixed up the issues that were causing the "city hall" not to show in the city's building list and determined that no... its not sellable... it has not been sold... it um... also seems not to update existing cities when you alter the value.

I know I had an unhappiness of 3 per city.
I know I had it set to 1 + .5 * #cities
So I thought I had 1 + .5 * 4 [cities] and 3 cities were not making life worse... how?
Thinking that 2 of my cities been captured from Japan and one recaptured [originally mine] I thought capturing was making the difference.

The real diff seems to be that my first 5 cities were build with an CityCountUnhappinessMod == 20 and the last 3 with CityCountUnhappinessMod == 50
1 + .2 * 5 + .5 * 2 = 3 just like I have.

I am tempted to let one of my original cities be captured again and then go retake it to see what occurs.

At anyrate... the mechanics of this seem sound... now its just a matter of the particular numbers and should those 3 affected items be altered... which they likely should be.
Those items again are Ghandi's trait, the Forbidden Palace and the Planned Econ Policy.

Oh and puppet cities cause the same drain on happiness as your own... so you cannot ICS by letting an overpowered AI spam cities and then just go take em all.
It does not really impact conquest victory since you can still take all the capitols... just not the whole continent.... ok who am I kidding... that will be harder...

Top Bottom