How to bypass the stupid launcher

Thank you to the OP for sharing. I had been getting a lot of crashes since this launcher was introduced. So far, the game seems to be loading faster, and there have not been any crashes (knock on wood).

I didn't bother going through the posts so this may be redundant information for some of you:

1) When you've created the string as per Aristos' suggestion, WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE. It will, sooner or later, be erased from your game's properties and you'll need to rebuild it.

2) For those complaining that "it's just one extra (or 2 extra) click, why bother", if you play offline, the 2K Launcher will (my experience) shut you down; you will NOT be able to play offline.

3) For bonus information (for those who need it), it seems like doing a similar thing will shut down the 2K Launcher for Stellaris.

Last edited:
in the file path, change the word “Games” to “Program Files (x86)”

The original poster used a custom file path which the majority of users do not use, hence the confusion

The original poster stands behind the original post and the strong recommendation to never put Steam nor any other game folder under Program Files.

Attempt to explain: Windows is often quite pedantic with that “Program Files (x86)” folder because of UAC, so it is in general wise to avoid installations under that. (User Account Control is a mandatory access control enforcement feature introduced with Microsoft's Windows Vista / Server 2008)

Of course in any case the path given in the commando must match the path of the actual game installation.

I bet 99% of users don’t change default installation paths. You’re free to have your reasons, which I wasn’t debating. I was just explaining to the other user why it wasn’t working.

1. In your Steam library list, right-click on Civilization 6
2. From the pull down menu, select Properties
3. About the middle of the opened properties window, click on Set Launch Options...
4. Insert the following line as is, with the quotes and the %command%, but using your custom path:
"C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%
4.1. For DX12, replace CivilizationVI.exe with CivilizationVI_DX12.exe

5. Enjoy add-free civ start.
TY SO MUCH!!!

It does not work for me but my Steam games are on "D:". I tried to add the path shown in this post, but changing it to "D:" drive but it does not work. Steam says it can not find the path. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the idea, now any ideas on how to eliminate the "I agree/ disagree" screen. :)

Steam says it can not find the path
Same here, but I found my flaw—it was a path error, so I suggest you look at that more closely.

With DX12 and games in my G: drive, what I entered was:
"G:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\
CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

However, Steam isn't in a \Games folder in G:, it's straight off the root, ie G:\Steam. Problem solved when I corrected the path to:

"G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

PS Watch the space before the %command%, it's probably important.

Now my desktop icon launches straight into the main game menu. Thank you @Aristos !

Before I made this change the launch option read -TunerIP 127.0.0.255 - any idea what that means?

Before I made this change the launch option read -TunerIP 127.0.0.255 - any idea what that means?

That is to allow Firetuner to connect to it from another machine.

I use it so that I can use firetuner on a second machine to connect to the game running in Linux.

-TunerIP <your local IP address> (usually 192.168.x.x )

No idea why you have 127.0.0.255 (I'd remove it, or change it)

Hi,
With new frontier pass there is no Base directory in /.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V
How to bypass the launcher ?

How to do I work out the custom path? It looks like it should be right, but it doesn't work. My game is crashing every turn, so I want to try bypassing the launcher.

Disregard what Bluebeer said. The normal default for Firetuner is 127.0.0.1, but there's a problem with this. Many AV programs make changes to the security settings so that you don't inadvertently execute local programs in the browser, possibly bricking your computer, so they reroute 127.0.0.1 to null. 127.0.0.255 will get around this without changing the security setting.
For anyone interested: https://www.tech-faq.com/null-route.html

Compare that to a possibility to continue your current game from the launcher. That would save two clicks!
Is there any way to do this? Even better: Straight from Steam? It takes over half an hour to load up a game for me (made worse because I like to use mods). And that is after the 5+ minutes it takes to get to the game itself/The logo's and cinematic to finally start.

Top Bottom