How to create threads in the appropriate location

Machiavelli24

Mod creator
Welcome to the Creation & Customization section of the Civilization Fanatics forum! If like playing with or creating mods for Civilization 6 you are in the right place. This forum serves technical and non-technical folks alike. The forum is divided into distinct sections that serve different roles. By following the guidelines below you can be confident that you are creating threads in the appropriate location.

I'm trying to create a mod myself but I'm having trouble. Where can I ask for help?
The Mod Creation Help section is where you can ask technical questions. From the basics of XML editing to the nuances of Lua debugging are appropriate in that section. Don't be afraid of asking a question that is too basic or common. Experienced creators will have no trouble answering simple questions or providing a link to previous topics that address the same question.

I don't know how to make a mod, but I have a cool idea for one I want to share!
Interesting! The Requests & Ideas section is where you want to post your design. There you can bounce your ideas off with others. Please don't post in the Creation Help section asking for people to implement your ideas for you, as that is not the role of the Creation Help section.

I'm working on a mod that isn't released yet. I want to talk about how cool it will be to play!
You can create a thread in the Unreleased Mods section. Once you've released your mod the thread can be moved to the appropriate location in the Released Mods section.

I want to talk about the mods I use, or get recommendations on cool mods to try!
This an more can go in the general area where this thread is located. Non-technical topics about mods in general, that don't fit the previous categories, are appropriate there.

If there is a single specific mod you are interested in talking about (or are having trouble getting to work) you may have more success posting in the thread dedicated for that specific mod. Creators usually watch their own threads but can't always follow everything that is going on in the general discussion area.

I'm want to learn how to make a mod! Where can I go?
The Modding Tutorials & References section has some information you can read. If you have a specific question or run into trouble you can ask in the Mod Creation Help section. Please don't post question threads in the Tutorials section.

I have a playable mod. Where can I post about it?
You can add your mod to the database to provide a download location for it. Then you should create a single thread in the Released Mods section.

If you previously had a thread in the Unreleased Mods section than you should have the old thread moved instead. Please do not create new threads for new versions of the mod. Instead continue to update the original thread.

Mods that contain new Civilizations or Maps Scripts have their own sub sections because these kinds of mods are popular and common. If you feel your mod is big enough you can place it in the Total Conversions section. There is no hard and fast rule so use your own judgement. Everything else can go in the top level of that section.

I have some code/tool/application that will help other mod creators make mods. Where should it go?
Things like this belong in the Utilities, Code Snippets & Art Assets section. The critical distinction for threads in this area is that they are intended for other mod creators. Code that makes it easier to implement certain effects or syntax check files should go here.

The moderator Leoreth told me I should reach out to the Civ6 moderator with my question, but I'm not sure who that is, so I'll trying posting my question here.

I have developed some significant lua modding tools for Civ6, that I intend to release for Civ7, assuming they are mostly compatible, and I suspect they will be. I want to start creating my modding threads now, as they will require significant time to produce. I can create a thread or modify an old thread of mine to work on the forum source for later release, once there is a Civ7 modding forum. I will be doing significant editing of multiple posts that I won't be releasing for several months. Basically, I need a forum sandbox. What is the best way for me to go about this?

Top Bottom