How to deal with quitters

KM

Warlord
..I saw the post "quitters name and shame" I understand the intentions and the frustration behind the post but there is an easier way.

Join a group with dedicated players.

Civleague or NQ group. Players in those groups dont quit and if thy do they get kicked from the group.

Most of the groups around are easy to join and easy to get kicked from. Basicly the main rule is don t quit!!! dont ever quit!!!

So if you hate quitters play with people that dont quit. We allways make private games and people only get in to the game with an invitation.

If the game crash we load from save! noone quits.

Personally I just gather friends who play it on Skype, we continue saved games and all of us got half-decent computers. :)

Though I must say, Civ5 is frustrating. I thought Civ4 was bad in terms of connecting, getting mass thrown out, but I was wrong. Civ4 was heaven. Civilization 5 is hell... :(

Personally I just gather friends who play it on Skype, we continue saved games and all of us got half-decent computers. :)

Though I must say, Civ5 is frustrating. I thought Civ4 was bad in terms of connecting, getting mass thrown out, but I was wrong. Civ4 was heaven. Civilization 5 is hell... :(

Play on Skype? Tell me more how that works!

Well, the only problem with NQ players is you need 8+ hours to finish games. Last game we played with friend (all NQ) was a 3vs3, with everyone playing the last secs of the turn we started at 5pm and ended up at 3am... But anyway that was epic !

Well, the only problem with NQ players is you need 8+ hours to finish games. Last game we played with friend (all NQ) was a 3vs3, with everyone playing the last secs of the turn we started at 5pm and ended up at 3am... But anyway that was epic !

That is why at CivPlayers we tune the setting for 2-4 hour games, because we know that is the average of what most players can do on a week night. Some might say that are settings are not "real civ" but it works for us and is fun, and you actually finish a game :p

CS

Just want to apologize to my fellow mp's. Houston power keeps cutting out. This isn't usual and am sorry for the second time for instantly being kicked out of the game due to Houston's incompentence.

CTON is a game devloped by a legendary (from what I ve heard female civ player)
What about adding NQ-ffa to civleague?
Not affecting overall ranking etc, but mabye with a seperate ranking system.
Also might be more efficient to make civleague a closed group and not open as it is now. That way people playing NQ games within the league and quit, or in other ways dont follow the rules can be kicked out.

Sometimes a closed group get more new members than an open one due to that it is in a way exclusive to be part of it.

CTON is a game devloped by a legendary (from what I ve heard female civ player)
What about adding NQ-ffa to civleague?
Not affecting overall ranking etc, but mabye with a seperate ranking system.
Also might be more efficient to make civleague a closed group and not open as it is now. That way people playing NQ games within the league and quit, or in other ways dont follow the rules can be kicked out.

Sometimes a closed group get more new members than an open one due to that it is in a way exclusive to be part of it.

Hi Ketil.

I really don't think that is possible. As soon as you introduce a ranking system in FFAs where trade, alliances etc is allowed people will start to collude to get a good score.

We are planning to separate FFA's and Cton into different rankings. DTA is working on that as we speak as part of our project to revamp the ranking system code to support more types of games, like OCC or mods for instance(we do hope that Mods in MP do happen).

As to whether ranking FFA's makes sense, well that is up to the players that like them, if they except that diplomacy is going to effect the outcome and their potential rank/skill, then we don't have a problem with it either.

But yes the reason Ctons were invented was because of the down side of human nature in FFA games, but it is not for me to tell people what they can play, we just provide the structure to allow it to happen.

In past games we have seen a "one ally FFA" style were to be fair a player was only allowed to have one other player as a permanent ally, and they both had to declare their status. This was particularly popular in Civ4 Pitboss games.

CS

I really don't think that is possible. As soon as you introduce a ranking system in FFAs where trade, alliances etc is allowed people will start to collude to get a good score.

Completely agree. A ranking system makes thing more ''tedious''. Way too much unbalanced. Even CTON can brings alliances. This game is not really well suited for a ranking system, excepted under specific laws.

Completely agree. A ranking system makes thing more ''tedious''. Way too much unbalanced. Even CTON can brings alliances. This game is not really well suited for a ranking system, excepted under specific laws.

Well I will have to respectfully disagree. You could say this about any computer game or any game or sport in general. That ranking people changes the social dynamic of the game. But in the end there are people that want that, and Civplayers provides that for the Civ Community. People enjoy the Olympics, the Super Bowl, NASCAR, World Chess Federation etc, etc.

And this social dynamic tends to create in many cases, a very competitive, adrenaline filled experience, and very fun for the people that like that. Just ask the old Civ4 or Civ3 Clan players that took part in the Civplayers Clan Championships, they loved the weekends filled with competitive games.

And even if you are not one that cares about being the best player it is still nice to know were to stand next to other players, and our Glicko2 based system does that, creates a very accurate picture of players relative skill, as long as you play often.

I'm not saying that ranked leagues are for everyone, but they are just as legitimate a form of gaming as non-ranked games.

Cheers CS

You didn't understand what i said CS. It's ok to play under a ranked system but with specific rules and settings.

Many games propose multiplayer environment with only humans involved and 1vs1 battles. Also, games like Call of Duty where teams play each other are not related with games like civilization.

Most games are well balanced for multiplayer only because there is no AI involved or simply because you can't ally with somebody.

I didn't say that it isn't fun to play team or ranked system, it's only more difficult to get rid of luck based settings, AIs and underground alliances.

You didn't understand what i said CS. It's ok to play under a ranked system but with specific rules and settings.

Many games propose multiplayer environment with only humans involved and 1vs1 battles. Also, games like Call of Duty where teams play each other are not related with games like civilization.

Most games are well balanced for multiplayer only because there is no AI involved or simply because you can't ally with somebody.

I didn't say that it isn't fun to play team or ranked system, it's only more difficult to get rid of luck based settings, AIs and underground alliances.

Ok sorry if I misread your post. Yes it may take more effort to run a ranked system, but that is why we have such an in-depth set of rules at CivPlayers. And rarely do we play with AI, one for the fact that they are never going to be as good as humans, and the whole point of MP for many players is to play smart unpredictable humans, and of course AI in Civ5 MP is just asking for lag problems as well.

And while players do make the settings for our games, most do prefer settings that eliminate most of the randomness, but this is not chess and some randomness does happen, but then when you play 1000 of games it works out evenly for you as much as against you. So statistically the rankings for active players are not going to be effected so much by luck factors.

And right now team games are the most popular in the league for the reason they are the most fun and you don't have to worry about random allies in the game. But from a fun perspective some of my best memories are Civ3 FFA Epic games with the top players at the time, diplomacy really can be very fun and challenging if you have the right set of players to take advantage of it.

CS

Top Bottom