HOW TO: Design a Mod

Okay folks. I'm getting more and more of an understanding of xml files the more I read. But the problem I'm having is actually making the changes!. For example. All I want to do, right now is give ALL of the leader traits to a single leader (say, Washington, since I like playing as America). But when I go into the xml file for leaderheads, I click my mouse where I'm supposed to (I guess) and nothing happens. It highlights in blue indicating that that text has been selected, but I'm unable to type anything. What am I doing wrong? I've downloaded the new patches, sdk, the pitboss, a few mods, etc. But how do I actually make things change?

Forgive me for sounding like an idiot. I've had this game since it was released November 2005 and have never been able to mod. I miss the simple game editor from civ3 and was disappointed to find what looked like a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too complex way of creating a mod and making what I remember from civ3 has "simply changes".

I would also like to change the movement cost on terrain. I just don't feel it should take 40 years (in the early years of a normal game) to go from one square to another even without a road. I mean, really. How realistic is that? (smile).

One day I will have access to a book named "Civ4 Modding for Dummies"

There is no editor available for Civ4. XML files are just text files, you can edit them with notepad. But you won't be able to just click on things to make changes.

It is more powerful than anything you could do with Civ3, but also more complex. Editors make things easy, but they also limit you (having both an editor and the ability to edit things directly would be the ideal solution but I suspect due to limited resources Firaxis had to pick one way or the other).

There is no editor available for Civ4. XML files are just text files, you can edit them with notepad. But you won't be able to just click on things to make changes.

It is more powerful than anything you could do with Civ3, but also more complex. Editors make things easy, but they also limit you (having both an editor and the ability to edit things directly would be the ideal solution but I suspect due to limited resources Firaxis had to pick one way or the other).

Thanks for the info. I realize that this new way allows for more flexibility in making changes, I just didn't know HOW to make the changes. Since I posted the message I've learned about the notepad and wordpad and even found an "xml editor" on my computer (who knew..lol).

I succeeded in making my changes on wordpad (too shy to "fool" with that xml editor). Now I've run into the problem of loading my simple changes into an actual game to test them. My next step is to correct my "directory structure" as one guy called it. So wish me luck and keep the advice coming. I'm a little shy about going deep into the "tutorials" forums because things just seem so advanced but that's probably where I will find all the information I need. I just need know how to find it amongst those thousands of posts.

Anyway, thanks again.

Okay now I've created the correct "directory path" and now I'm having issues with loading the mod. Nothing is zipped. I went to "advanced" on the main menu and the "load a mod" and got a message "game must restart to load this mod". I clicked okay...the game came back up...I went again to "advanced" to load a mod and got the same message. What's wrong?

it's a pity that this thread seems to have dried out almost completely.
I have to admit though, that I had lost interest into Civ4 for months and therefore did not pay much attention to it anymore, either.

Yet, a very good mod-compilation (unfortunately [?] from the German forum, so it does not get the attention it would have deserved) brought me back to Civ4 and even made me buy Warlords, which I wouldn't have done without that compilation.

In this compilation, we find many things which have been discussed in this thread already:
Added complexity, leading to more choices, leading to a much more interesting game.

The learning curve, as somebody has called it in one of the previous posts, for sure has become higher, maybe even more steep, but since it is a mod, players don't have to start at ground level. This makes it manageable.

Now, back to the original topic: What makes a mod a "playable" mod? ( I would like not to use the term "good" mod, as this is so much based on one's personal likings).
Speaking about a "modification", this obviously means to stay with the basic game rules, but adding things which - for whatever reason ever - have not been implemented into the core game.
These additions should fit into the path of the core game, not being contradictional to the way in which you were playing said core game.

Personally, as far as Civ4 is concerned, I think that a playable mod always should make the game "feel" more realistic, as this seems to be one of the weakest parts of the game. (Once again, just my personal opinion).
Just some points:
  1. growth
  2. economics
  3. civics
  4. combat
  5. movements
1) Growth:
Civ4 still follows the approach which was used in Civ1 already: have good fields, grow quick, enhance your production, care about money and happiness.
Very easy to understand, but not so much fun to play for long time.
2) Economics:
Maybe the weakest part of the whole series. In principle, economics is a concept which still is not implemented. What do you do? You occasionally build a mine, then a forge and later a construction plant. Whatever you do, it always relates directly to the predefined output of the tiles in your cities' areas.
Any improvement of this concept not requiring you to run a production planning ERP system in the background would already qualify for a playable mod.
3) Civics:
Once again, a good concept on the very general level. Yet, a almost meaningless implementation, as people already have found out the three or four combinations which are meaningful for a given era. Not to mention that in this area once again the player is confronted with "unrealistic" features.
4) Combat:
Well, I don't think I have to repeat all the countless threads about this again. Just 2 or 3 remarks: siege weapons, naval and air combat. A complete desaster, and therefore one of the top candidates to be adressed by modifications.
Unfortunately, as the engine does not allow to do much about it below the level of SDK modification, only small tweaks seem to be possible. But those would - and are - highly appreciated by the community.
5) Movements:
Once again, an area where good ideas would be highly welcomed by the community. You can trade over oceans, but cannot send settlers/troops? 'nuff said.

So, what makes a mod a playable mod?

Add fun to the game.

Give it a more "realistical" approach. That does not mean that - as many people suggest - you have to have replenishments based on shell sizes for your troops. It does mean that your modification should follow the rules people know from their real life - or the life which is simulated by the modification. Once again, as far as the vanilla game is concerned, siege weapons would come to mind immediately (but, as I have said above, due to the conception of the vanilla game you would have to make use of the SDK).

Additions and comments highly appreciated.

Im all for fun. I suspect that the amount of realism from a mod will be a personal preference. Is it realistic that a group of settlers would be killed by a Lion? Isn't it more realistic that this group of settlers would be killed off by Maleria? But watching your people killed by mosquito's isn't nearly as much fun as seeing them attacked by lions, despite the realism (personally I consider animal attacks to be a generalization for all natural threats).

So I agree with you, I just would prioritize realism to highly. Fun trumps everything. In fact the only true advanatge of realism in games is that it makes the game intuitive. We don't need to explain why a tank has a higher strength than a spearman, our players can tell just by looking at the unit picture that their spearman is in trouble. As such we have made the game easier to play by compling with realism. In the worse case where we create non-intuitive systems players will be frustrated with mixed messages and annoyed that they have to remember facts about the game that are contrary to what they would expect.

Since Im posting here is a brief project stage outline I posted elsewhere:

1. Brainstorming- Where the team starts throwing out ideas for things we would like to see in the game. Technical limitations are generally ignored and even ideas that are out of scope are accepted (though usually moved into other phases later on).

At the end of brainstorming we have a high level list of features we want to implement, this is the design document.

2. Creation- This is where we start adding features as quickly as possible. Some play testing is done by the team here but the goal of that testing is to encourage new ideas, not really to balance or to offer feedback on the ideas. Most of the time the features implemented during this stage aren't fun and don't work well, but they are left in.

When the build and features begins to get fun and we find ourselves spending more and more time playing and less time designing we know we are ready for the next phase. The requirement is a beta build of the game.

3. Play testing- This is where we need you. A beta build is released to the community for people to start playing. The focus at this stage is for feedback on the new features (are they fun?) and isolating and resolving bugs. We generally aren't too concerned with cosmetic issues or balance. It doesn't do us any good to fine tune if we don't know what's staying and what's going.

At the end of this stage we should have a build that is working without errors and concensus on what features are good and need more focus, which are running fine as they are, and what isn't fun and needs to be changed or removed.

4. Iteration- This is where we get into 6-8 week versioning. The developer tweaks and makes changes, then gets it out for people to play. This is the fun stage, new ideas bounce around, new stuff gets in quickly, every version is better than the last. This is also where we focus on balance and fine tuning.

When we believe we have implemented all the features speced in the Design Document in the best way possible we are ready to move onto the polish stage.

5. Polish- We are always writing new entries and adding art. But this is where it becomes our primary focus. A list of needed assets is made and the team gets busy trying to chew through as much as we can. The community may also be asked to contribute.

When this phase is done we have a finished product, we close the phase and go on to the next one.

Although there is always going to be some overlap as you go through these stages and different teams may have other methods that work for them I think it is a helpful high level process. It helps avoid some of the common problems encountered in creating a mod, such as:

1. Endless brainstorming- At some point you have to stop giving ideas and start focusing on implementation, otherwise you will never move forward.

2. Waiting for perfection- You have to realize that your first public release will have bugs, thats okay. You won't be completly happy with your mod until the end, but you still have to go through all of the stages between. Keep releasing new versions, they don't have to be perfect, they just have to be forward progress.

3. Wasted work- The big thing this procress tries to protect against is wasted work. I hate to see a lot of effort put into creating some feature/art/etc and then have it cut later when it isnt working out. Getting early basic versions in and released allows the developer to get feedback and make those decisions without commiting large amounts of time. The even more dangerous aspect of this is keeping features that arent fun in your mod just because you spent so much time working on them.

Im all for fun. I suspect that the amount of realism from a mod will be a personal preference. Is it realistic that a group of settlers would be killed by a Lion? Isn't it more realistic that this group of settlers would be killed off by Maleria? But watching your people killed by mosquito's isn't nearly as much fun as seeing them attacked by lions, despite the realism (personally I consider animal attacks to be a generalization for all natural threats).[...]
I am very glad that you have pointed out the things above.
Of course, it is not realistical to have a group of settlers, capable of founding a complete new city, being killed by lions. And I agree, this is just the symbolization of the early dangers lurking in the woods and fields.
Therefore, it is acceptable to have this limited realistical approach for the benefit of an easy and quick to understand gameplay.

So I agree with you, I just would prioritize realism to highly. Fun trumps everything. In fact the only true advanatge of realism in games is that it makes the game intuitive. We don't need to explain why a tank has a higher strength than a spearman, our players can tell just by looking at the unit picture that their spearman is in trouble. As such we have made the game easier to play by compling with realism. In the worse case where we create non-intuitive systems players will be frustrated with mixed messages and annoyed that they have to remember facts about the game that are contrary to what they would expect.
Here I think, we have to be very careful about making use of the term "realism".

Is it realistical to have units living for millenia? No, obviously not.
Would it be fun to have to replace them every turn? No, obviously not.

So, in this area "realism" spoils the fun immediately. Therefore, you have to be "unrealistic" for the sake of the playability.

But what about the siege weapons?
Is it realistical to have catapults attacking units in the field with trumpets and waving flags, in fact being some kind of ancient field artillery? No, obviously not.
In fact, it is completely contradictional to everything somebody would expect. A catapult is a machine standing somewhere and throwing stones at almost immobile targets. That is, what the player knows from "real life experience" (in this case, from history) and that is, how he would think it should work.
Therefore, the complete design of the siege weapons manifests a misconception in the core game.
And therefore, this would be a candidate for modification. Unfortunately, as I have pointed out in the previous post, the engine does not allow for many changes to the better, unless you are willing and capable of making use of the SDK.

One other thing is about the movement of naval units. For millenia, sailing was the fastest way of moving from A to B. That is the very reason why the whole mediterranean area was full of early powers, starting with Egypt, Greece, Persia, Carthage, Phoenicia and so on.
Once again, in the game this historical experience is not portrayed. Your galley is not quicker then your warrior, if both move at the same coast. Therefore, many people immediately lose the interest in building a navy, as there is almost no visible benefit to do so.
And even the developers lost this interest, as the weak implementation of the whole naval thing proves.
In this area, at least slight improvements seem to be possible by making use of rather easy XML modifications. New features may be added by some Python coding as well, still a comparably easy task.
So, as far as I see it, this is another candidate for modding.

These shall be only two of the almost countless examples in which areas one could improve - or alter - the game.

What I want to say by this: to create a playable modification, have a look at the weaker parts of your starting base, the core game.
Think about why these weaker parts are weak. Is it just because of some misbalanced values? Is it because of a flawed concept? Is it because of a unit which has been forgotten to be put into the game?
And what can you do to improve this, as far as your personal likings are concerned?

After you have identified these issues, start with the easy improvements to keep the momentum. For most modders, this will be the tweaking of XML files and there is nothing to be said against it.
By this, you can issue a first version quickly and see, how people respond to it.
The more difficult tasks, the creation of new game behaviours by Python or SKD modifications could be (and should be, as far as I see it) left for later stages of your "project" (because, a modification in fact is nothing less than a project).

But, and I think, this is important as well, try to anticipate what might happen or what you are willing to do in the future as well. That means, if an "easy" XML tweaking would result in something which will be contradictional what you want to do in the future, you should avoid to do so. At least, as your modification "A" is concerned.
Players who like "A" in the early stages might get confused and frustrated, if "A" later on becomes completely different.
Therefore, if your increased skills, experience, maybe the forming of a development team would lead to changed behaviour later on, it might be a wise idea to create a second, third, .... ninth modification basesd on what you have learned in the past.
That way, you avoid to make people become familiar with your early settings and then, just switch to different reactions and behaviours of the game.

In general, I think we are sharing similar ideas in many cases. Thinking about what you really want to do and what you want to achieve is a crucial part. Preparing the individual steps to achieve your goals might be even more important.
And finally, as long as you are not intending to keep your modification just for your own, give the community a chance to offer their feedback.

Since Im posting here is a brief project stage outline I posted elsewhere:

You're forgetting the phase where you make the AI play good with the mod. :mischief: This should be done between 4 and 5 in your stage outline I guess.

Another design pitfall that I see frequently is having a goal that is to ambicious. To many hard working modders with great ideas burn out because they are biting of to much. It is either beyond their technical skill (at this time) or it would just take more tiem than they are able to give it. As a result their idea dies and their work is lost.

A designer should look for goals that stretch him, but are stilll reachable. Set a finite scope on what you are doing that you have an idea of how to accomplish and do that. TheLopez was the master of this, and he would get a very specific idea, implement it well, then go off to the next project. Even if your projects are all within the same mod this is the kind of focus you should be looking for.

I know the community is here to answer questions and help if your technical skills aren't up to task (I know mine weren't when I started). But the best use of the community is in getting past the small hurdles that will get in the way, not in accomplishing the mod for you.

I honestly think that those of us that started modding before the SDK was released had it easuer. We were forced to limit ourselves only to things that could be accomplished in XML and python. Starting to mod now there are no limitations, you could turn Civ4 into a game of pac-man with the SDK. And because of that I worry that a lot of modders are becoming to ambicious, getting frustrated with how difficult their idea is to implement, and giving up modding.

Start small, create realistic goals, accomplish those and then set new ones.

ok..and how do u make a mod KAEL??? i mean where is the program u need to make ur units in 3d??? and put it on civ4? ?

ok..and how do u make a mod KAEL??? i mean where is the program u need to make ur units in 3d??? and put it on civ4? ?

There are lots of good technical articles in this forum, this article just covers the non-technical aspects. For how to create and add units I would recommend checking out any of the articles White Rabbit wrote.

Greetings

Could a generous soul help me out? I need to modify religions in a mod I am working on. What are the general steps I need to take to make sure this works? (I want Catholicism, Protestantism, Anglicanism, and a few other native religions).

Many thanks! :)

Wow, thank you so much Kael!
I have been designing a strategy board game for a couple of years and I am currently stuck in some issues. Your thread really helped me, as I read it new ideas came into my head in no time!
Now the only problem I have is that I cannot stop playing Fall from Heaven and continue my work on the board game. haha

I just wanted to say "Thank you, Kael!" This thread has taken most of the fears and phobia out of modding for me.

Also, I would like to say to Commander Bello, that I agree. Realism is a needed commodity.

Thank you all for the great insight

Thats a really good insight, I couldn't put my finger on what I didnt like about some (usually very creative) ideas until you said that. I agree 100%.

We have a lot of people saying that one of your goals should be to keep your design as simple as possible. Is there anyone who disagrees with this? Does anyone think that the game is to simple and adding complexity makes it better?
-emergent complexity(creates the strategy from an amalgam of factors). A strategy game should be tough enough so that you cannot beat the entire metagame, in just one sitting...
In strategy games such as civ, this is the bread of strategy. mechanisms such as promotions-are the butter.

I'd like to raise a few discussion points on the topic of realism. I'm here to tell you that realism is not inherently good. But it's not bad either. There's a lot of personal preference, and a lot of situational stuff. A game designer first and foremost looks at the game play. Realism should be seen as a means to make a more fun game, rather than an end to pursue in of itself.

Here are three major dangers associated with realism, in my mind. (There may be more.)

What's Realistic?

Kind of like 'objectivity', the word is misused a lot, sometimes even with bias. There's an overabundance of people who look at the realism of longbow-vs-gunship, but not very many who note the failure of every world-conqueror in real life. Some realism issues are more glaring than others, and the issues people choose to look at reflect their play style.

The civics are probably the best example of this. It's hard to tackle the realism of the civics without getting into social or political debates. What are the real benefits of communism? What is the real benefit of religious freedom?

Again, there are some realism issues that are more innocent and easy to agree upon (e.g.: how livestock technically should be tied to how much you breed them rather than a fixed tile location). But make no mistake: a game that lets you conquer the world reflects an ideological and biased viewpoint, even unintentionally. Some people will disagree and say domination is totally realistic, that it just hasn't happened yet. Who's right? It doesn't matter, IMO. It depends on how fun you think conquering the world is. It comes back to game play.

Is Realism Good?

Some realism issues are obvious and unanimous, but even if they are, it doesn't necessarily justify putting them in the game.

The worst game I could imagine is "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Not because it's not a smart book. In fact I agree with a lot of it and think it's brilliant. But the premise of the book is Environmental Determinism. Basically, your climate determines your success. Imagine implementing a game like this:

The Europeans get an early game advantage from lots of different domesticated animal resources, allowing them to become highly resistant to disease. This guarantees that when they cross the ocean, their diseases destroy the other civilizations and not the other way around.

The Mesoamericans get a disadvantage because their continent is north-south oriented. It is harder to import crops from far off lands on a north-south axis because of huge climate changes. Meanwhile, all the other civilizations oriented on an east-west continuum share a lot of great resources and become dominant.

At a certain point, you have to be 'biased' towards choice. That is, even if it's untrue, it is better for game play to pretend that all civilizations have CHOSEN to succeed or fail. This is much better than a game that says civilizations are doomed or destined to fail because of geography.

Again, that's not to say you should throw realism out the window. But you should focus on areas of realism that improve game choices, rather than taking them away. Realism is a means to an end, not an end in itself. It's neither inherently good nor bad.

How Far Do You Go?

The realism question, to me, comes down to what you're willing to tackle. I think there are some places a game designer can go that are a total swamp. You will never get out.

The best example I can think of is the population model. Currently, food accumulates, resulting in growth. Growth is limited by health and happiness.

In reality, starvation and disease are grouped together with war as "miseries". Miseries limit population growth. Otherwise, population grows at a geometric rate. However, economic prosperity -- particularly associated with successful women -- tends to naturally reduce the impulse for growth. It's why the first world generally keeps the same population, while third world countries grow drastically.

Imagine implementing that for a second. First of all, food would no longer work the same way as hammers or gold. It would have to be integrated into the health system somehow.

If that doesn't make your head explode, look at what it means that growth is geometric: Jericho had a population of 20 thousand persons, while Mexico City has a population of 20 million. Civilization 4 might represent this as the difference between a size 2 city and a size 20. But then why is it that it takes 20,000 people to work 2 tiles, and 20 million to work 20? Shouldn't Mexico City be able to work 1000 times more tiles?

Finally, economics would need to affect population. What control do you give the player over their population? How do they limit it? When should they limit it? How do you model wealth and social class in the game, so that middle class families generally have smaller families than poor ones? How do you reflect that overpopulation can sometimes be a scourge and a menace?

I'm not saying that to talk you out of trying. I'm saying that to explain why nobody has tried to tackle this yet. Most mods have focused on surface realism issues because anything deeper is a swamp.

Conclusion

Some people are still willing to pursue realism in all the areas I pointed out, despite the warnings. Like I said, there IS a matter of personal preference.

But as a game designer, you should try to put game play first. The best example I could come up with for modders is the siege/artillery system for Civ 4. The system puts way too much power in artillery, making catapults the no-brainer choice. This is bad for game play, first and foremost. It's one of few big failures in Civilization 4.

It just so happens that collateral damage is also bad from a realism standpoint. This strikes me as a perfect opportunity for people who care about realism. But you have to acknowledge the pitfalls of the Civ 3 "damage without risk" system. If you don't, you have to ask around and do the research. That's your job as a designer.

To put it succinctly: identify game play problems that might be fixed with realism. Don't identify parts of the game that work well that should be strangled with realism.

Excellent writeup, I completly agree. Search for solutions to game problems, and try to solve them in realistic (I like "logical") ways. But at the end gameplay is all that matters.

I don't know where to post this question, although I've looked for almost one hour, so here it is:
How can I merge multiple mods to download them all at once?Can anybody explain step-by-step how to do it for me?
please, I'm not good in modding, but I really would like to do this.I'm very sorry to bother.Thanks in advance.

Ok Umm Could U Tell Me How To Create A Mod & Not All That Guidance Crap N The Beginning Just Tell Me Step By Step How To Make One

Top Bottom