How to enable teams in multiplayer in a scenario?

Diesel_Train

Chieftain
Hi! I'm just checking if there is a quick and simple answer for this problem.

I downloaded a scenario and would like to play it with my friend as a team. However, I can't change teams in the window where one could normally change it.

Is it possible any way to change the teams somehow?

I didn't find the answer to this question any other way so I thought to ask here.

Thanks!

I doubt that you'll be able to pick teams on the Custom Scenario screen. Not sure how exactly the game decides that e.g. the Africa scenario allows teams to be configured and the Earth18Civs scenario does not. There must probably be no team-specific settings (such as technologies, wars at game start), but, in a quick test, removing all team data from Earth18Civs wasn't sufficient. I'm guessing that the scenario also mustn't assign any specific leaders to the player slots.

You could make a copy of the scenario (WB save file) in which you hardcode your desired team assignments. You'd need to open the copy in a text editor and change the lines that say Team= in the BeginPlayer/ EndPlayer blocks. You may also want to look at the BeginTeam/ EndTeam blocks (if any) and merge those teams that no longer have a player into other teams. E.g. if Egypt was originally on team 0 and India on team 1, and you put them both on team 0, then the starting techs of team 1 should arguably be added to those of team 0. I haven't tested this. Might be difficult to get it right because, depending on how complex the scenario is, the disused teams could be referenced in various places, e.g. in lines that say AtWar=. Not sure if teams can be referenced in the plot data portion of the file; hopefully just player IDs there.

Hi, and thank you for your suggestion! It sounds I can try and see if it works, I will post here again after I've tested it.

Thank you so much!

Hey, that worked!! Thank you so much!

I started a game with my friend in the most popular Earth scenario, which I downloaded. We are playing in teams, with me being Egypt and him being Persia.

So cool that it works!

Top Bottom