How to fix your WinG problems

starlifter

Deity
I've seen several posts like this one....

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3863&highlight=WinG+AND+load+AND+failure

When I installed Cedric Greene's excellent patch (MGE to FW) today, I had the error message "WinG Load Failure" when I tried to start the civ2.exe program.

WinG is a older set of drivers and libraries that are necessary to make old versions of Civ2 run. The files need to be in your \windows\system directory for games that make use of them to run. The exact filename that is available from MS for free is wing.exe, which is an install program that will copy the necessary files and fix you up. Knowing MS, on some systems, it might f*** you up (everyone knows f*** is "foul", and I don't want to use foul language, even for a company that earns it 'round the world ;) ).

Anyway, this file will install WinG on your system. I've uploaded it, or you can track it down yourself. As always, for your own peace of mind, check for virus, but it passed my check and works fine.

Here is the step-by-step for installing Cedric's great program:

1. Download the files (2 of them at this time) from Cedric.

2. Make a duplicate Copy your Civ II directory wherever you want.

3. Install the contents of the .ACE file. I copied them, with overwrite, into the duplicate Civ II directory.

4. Run Cedric's .EXE file, and point it to the duplicate directory when it asks. Let it install.... it's great to watch in action!

5. Run the Civ2.exe file. If you get this popup, you need to install WinG:

6. If you wonder if you have ever had any WinG stuff installed on your machine before, seach your windows OS drive (C:\ most likely) for this: *wing* if you get files like wing.dll, or similar stuff, it was installed. You must decide if you wish to overwrite by re-installing it with the wing.exe installer file.

7. Download the wing1.zip attached to this post. Extract the only file it contains, WinG.exe, and run it (double click it). It will want to extract to a directory (I personally prefer an empty one)... then execute the file called MSSETUP.EXE (or maybe just MSSETUP). WinG will install.

8. I have run Civ II MGE for 3 years, and never installed WinG.... but because of the era in which FW and 2.42 was written, you need to install the WinG libraries for the older civs to work.

9. Disclaimer: I have not personally tested this on NT, Win2K, or XP. I suspect it will not work, because these three OSs (that are grossly inferior to "real" OSs like Unix, Linux, etc) are written and compiled completely differently than Win95/98/ME. Consult the MS Knowledgebase (an oxymoron, hehe)... I do not plan to install it on my W2K.

10. Now civ2.exe should run without the WinG error(s)..

11. If you still have WinG problems, install Linux and boycott MS. Well, at least their software. Their hardware is pretty good, like the (redeye) IntelliMouse.

EDIT CHANGE:
I've replaced the prior file that caused some confusion. The new zip file (wing1.zip), now contains the WinG.exe. You can ignore all the subsequent posts about renaming files in this thread, and just simply extract the WinG.exe from the wing1.zip :)

Attachments

• wing1.zip
    453.3 KB · Views: 6,340
Cedric gets his own separate post:

GREAT JOB CEDRIC!

Thanks for making the patch and all the work you put into it and getting the word out to reach those of us that needed it!!!

:goodjob:

Originally posted by ArmOrAttAk
That file is corrupted.
Unfortunately, we are not allowed to upload an executable file to CFC. This means any file with a .EXE extension is rejected. So I had to rename it to something that the BBS would accept, and chose .ZIP.

I have just downloaded the file and checked it... it is 100% fine, with no errors after you rename it to wing.exe

I have made some screenshots on how to rename the files using MS Explorer (the program you probably use to view files on your machine, not Internet Explorer which is a Browser).

In order to get it to work, you must rename the wing.zip to wing.exe, and then double-click on it in order for the install process to begin.

After Downloading, find wing.zip, click the filename once and wait a moment for MS Explorer to select the filename, then use the mouse to select just the ZIP extension:

Next, type EXE (upper or lower case does not make a difference), to replace the ZIP:

Don't worry about the scary looking MS Popup window warning you about changing the filename causing the program to be unstable:

... just accept your change so it looks like wing.exe when you're done.

Now, double click on wing.exe and the self-extracting file will uncompress its contents to the place you want (I prefer to extract everything into an empty directory... make a newly named temporary one, like "temp01" or something.

Once the extraction is complete, use MS explorer to have a look and fine the file called mssetup.exe:

and double click on it. Now the Micro$oft install program for WinG will run and install the Windoze Game libraries to enable Civ 2 versions before Civ 2 MGE to run.

:)

I imagine some people (if not most) have the "show known file extension" (or whatever it is in English) turned off... That makes it rather more difficult to change the extension that way (since they're not displayed).
It's much easier to change it when starting the download.
At least using IE this is possible. When you download a file, you'll get a "Save As..." dialog box that asks you where you want to save the file. Change the filename there from wing.zip to wing.exe.

Thanks, Mercator.... I've used the "Show Details" and the "Show All File Types" option for so long that I forgot others may not use it too.

Here is how to set it, if anyone is interested:

With Explorer, click on the pull down menu called "View", and select "Details". Here is what it looks like in Windoze 95 (others MS OS's are similar):

The above step will let you see all the juicy file details of your shortcuts and files.

Now, we just need to let Explorer show you the extension names (.EXE, .ZIP, .DOC, etc. etc. etc.). Go to the same pull down ("View"), and notice at the bottom there is an "Options".... just select it, and this (or something similar) will appear:

Notice the middle check box called "Hide MS DOS File Extensions...". If you remove the check from this box, you can then see the extension of a file.

These are all options that simply allow an individual to choose the way file information is displayed. Changing these options will not cause system damage, and you can always just reverse each option if you don't like it :)

:D

To All: Mercator's way is the easiest, but now I have another idea to make it easier on you guys....

NOTE

I've worked around this whole problem by zipping MS's WinG.exe file myself, and uploading it as wing1.zip.

The content of wing1.zip is simply the one WinG.exe file, which can be extracted and installed as the earlier procedure talked about.

What this means is that no one need go thru the above goatrope unless they want to :).

Attachments

• wing1.zip
    453.3 KB · Views: 651
You are so helpful starlifter, did you mention the file had to renamed in you firrst post?
I must've missed it, sorry. Could've saved you the trouble. However, I have a suspicion that you have "posting screenshot addiction".
Don't worry I know the cure. Seems there's this little known button, if you click it...

Attachments

• shutdown.gif
    shutdown.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 3,004
Make sure you use the left mouse button, or just press enter when it's highlighted.
Alternatively you can use the shortcut key which in this case is "u". As you see the u is underlined which is the standard windows way of showing shortcut keys for any given option.

:p

Now I've amused myself, thanks.

You do more than you probably should starlifter. Can you tell me how you go about posting more than one image in a single post? What do you upload it the just use anchor tag? do you upload it here or to your own space? I never know where the image is going to wind up, so uploading it last is what I do.

In the last week or two, I have been using my SS program, Hyper Snap DX more, and it has lots of easy, built in stuff.

The reason I post this detail is because I reuse and refer people to the screenshots. After I snap it, and store it, then I can use it in other locations, like in he Computer Talk Forum.

I'm pretty "good" at computers, but know how frustrated I get when someone describes something wrong. A picture is worth a thousand words!!

In this case, it worked out ok, because I had teh "brainstorm" to overcome the .exe file upload issue by just zipping the .exe before uploading it. And everything is solved!

You didn't answer, do you type the whole thing on your computer, then save the whole thing as one big image? Are you pissed? It'd be helpful to know because I'd like to maybe type something after an image, or post more than one, etc

You didn't answer, do you type the whole thing on your computer, then save the whole thing as one big image?
I just use Netscape (6.23) and the java reply-box, and the "IMG" command around the URL. I can't see the image when I'm typing it, if that's what you mean. I'll add the IMG tags around each URL I want to insert.

The BBS is limited to 9 images per post, however, including smiles.

I type each message out manually, and edit the URLs manually, too BTW.

Are you pissed? It'd be helpful to know because I'd like to maybe type something after an image, or post more than one, etc

????

Pissed? About what? Nope.

I'm not realy sure what you're asking... to put the image in a post, just put the IMG tags around the URL. Or let the java box do it for you by clicking the IMG tag at the top of the text box....

Next to the vB code is a "help" URL, which shows the format:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/misc.php?action=bbcode#buttons

The other way is to use the URL tag around the image URL, then it will be a link.

And the 3rd way is to upload it with the button at the bottom, but that limits it tto one per post.

You can use the URL from any website (even free ones like geocities.com, etc.), BTW... it does not matter where. Just put the IMG tags around it.

:)

EDIT: Fix Link.

Originally posted by ArmOrAttAk
Can you tell me how you go about posting more than one image in a single post? What do you upload it the just use anchor tag? do you upload it here or to your own space? I never know where the image is going to wind up, so uploading it last is what I do.

You can upload your images directly to civfanatics and then use that link to post your images.

The upload link is at the bottom of each page.

After you upload the image it will give you a url, just copy that and change the ending to your file name.

Then you just need to use the [ img ] [ /img ] tags (without the spaces between the letters and the brackets) around the link as starlifter mentioned. Wherever the

Edit: Added last image

Well, I'm glad I checked this forum before I throttled my nephew for screwing up my Civ 2 CD he had for over a year..it came back loaded with deep scratches so I figured he royally messed up my game..so I'll download that and keep my fingers crossed!

This is great. I was getting that WinG Load failure message, so I started at step 7 and it runs now.

good job!

Thanks,
Zeke

i think i just copied the files in the wing folder on cd to the civ2 folder on my hard disk and this resolved the problem.

I downloaded and extracted the file but it hasn't helped. When I try to install it says "Bindtime error" 'getversion' not found in specified library. What else can I do.

This is a HUGE help. Thank you very much. I have spent hours trying to fix this problem and now finally, my quest is at an end. May the grace of the (no)god(esses)(s) be with you.

I think thats politicaly correct enough.

Top Bottom