1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get Civ4:BTS working on OS X Yosemite

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Xyth, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Ctrl-Click on the CivilizationIV app and select 'Show Package Contents', and follow the instructions from there. Creating an alias is also done via Ctrl-Clicking, and the alias can then be dragged somewhere more useful, like the dock or the desktop.

I seriously wouldn't bother with Vanilla Civ IV though. Just run BTS instead, much better game, avoids all the hassle.

2. Innings

Innings Chieftain

My problem is that neither clicking on the Apple icon nor opening Finder nor any other root than I can discover offers a menu with /library as an option. Pl could you explain where else I need to look?

3. Innings

Innings Chieftain

'ON STEP 3 make sure you're going Mac HD>System>Library as opposed to just Mac HD>Library.'
    That assumes you can find the menu Mac HD>. I certainly cannot find anything with that name, nor any other route to /System/library. Any suggestions, please?

4. kobachi

kobachi Chieftain

(Deleting, I misunderstood the guide.)

5. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

In the Finder's Go menu, select 'Computer'. This will open a Finder window showing your computer's network and drives. Your computer's hard drive will be listed here, named 'Macintosh HD' unless someone has renamed it at some point. Double click on that to open it, and this will then display the root directory of your drive. Here is where you will find the System and Library folders described in the instructions.

6. Innings

Innings Chieftain

Thanks Zyth, I/ve done exactly all of that. The end result is a different error message! I think I'm reduced to finding someone to re-config my PC with the previous version of the OS and remove Yosemite, which is pretty stinky anyway. Frankly, Apple should not have released this half-ready OS in its present form, and it's proved to add nothing but time delay and error messages to the whole experience of being an Apple user.

7. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Innings:
    If You have had Time Machine running, you can restore your computer to the way it was just before you installed Yosemite. This will return you to your previous OSX operating system version. However, it will also return everything to the way it was on that date, so be sure to copy any files that are new or changed, that you want to keep, since that save date to an external hard drive, DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, or flash drive. You can then copy them back onto your main hard drive after restoring the older OSX.

FWIW, I still run Snow Leopard because I feel that each OSX since then has been worse than its predecessor. I actually think Tiger was the best one but since it won't run on an Intel CPU, I have settled for Snow Leopard.

8. Innings

Innings Chieftain

And eventually, with help from a great guy from Apple support, I got Yosemite kicked into the long grass, reloaded the previous OS and all works wonderfully. Yosemite now just a distant memory of an unpleasant itch that I scratched away! Civ works, everything else works, and I thank Zyth in particular who tried very hard to help me sort it out by less dramatic methods.

9. Shangalar

Shangalar Chieftain

Xyth and ancestral

Awesome work guys. We haven't made the move yet to CIV V so don't want to lose Warlords or Beyond the Sword yet.

I followed ancestral's solution with a slight change

I first changed the name of the existing folder 2.3 to "old 2.3"

Then I copied the 2.3 folder from an old mac book with OS X Mountain Lion to the versions folder on my OS X Yosemite laptop.

Done. No re start required and I still have the Yosemite version of the 2.3 folder if I need it.

Warlords and BTS both work now

Easy.

Thanks again.

Shane

10. UK_Brad

UK_Brad Chieftain

Thank you so much for sharing the fix. I would have been miserable if I couldn't play Civ on my Mac anymore. :lol:

11. ladshofowitz

ladshofowitz Chieftain

Thank you for the tip.
    I installed my Civ 4 with Steam.
    Can you please detail how you
    "made an alias of the Civilisation IV script"
    and
    "bypasses the incompatible application list"

12. d1miami

d1miami Chieftain

Hi, I tried following these steps but at the BTS Yosemite Python Fix folder I don't see where to get 2.3 and 2.5. There's no "framework' folder that I can see. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

13. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

They're in the package you download. Have you unzipped it? If so, what is in it?

14. OscarWildebeest

OscarWildebeest Prince

Just given this a try, having just bought a new Retina 5K iMac, and it works perfectly. I migrated all my old data over from my old Mac and I found I could skip Stage 2; but Stage 3 was necessary.

Graphics look nice on the 5K, and the game runs much faster. Yosemite as an OS is a bit of a PITA, however.

Many thanks, Xyth, you're a star.

15. Banana88x

Banana88x Chieftain

Holy S*** :lol:
    It works!

Thank you so much :)

16. d1miami

d1miami Chieftain

there are folders there with names like "assets" "custom assets" "replays" "patch" "MODS" and others but no folder with Frameworks.

17. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Sounds like you've downloaded some sort of Civ4 patch or mod, not the Yosemite python fix. Download it again, from here.

18. d1miami

d1miami Chieftain

I downloaded straight from the link you supplied and got the same thing. Guess I just either am screwing something up or I just can't do it. What sucks is that I just got the game as a gift from my nephew the very same day I downloaded yosemite. How's that for a joke?

oh well, thanks for trying. much appreciated

19. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

The link should give you a file called 'BTS Yosemite Python Fix.7z'. It has to be unarchived, which will then give you a folder called 'BTS Yosemite Python Fix'. What application are you using to unarchive it?

20. mans0011

mans0011 Chieftain

Has anyone else encountered a problem with BTS and the trees glutting out? They are not completely illustrated and seem to move. It's very disconcerting...