1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get Civ4:BTS working on OS X Yosemite

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Xyth, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Does your Mac have an integrated Intel graphics chipset? And no AMD/NVIDIA chipset to switch to? If so, you're out of luck. It can't handle some of the new shaders introduced in BTS.

2. d1miami

d1miami Chieftain

I'm using the Unarchiver and again, I get a file called exactly what you say i should but when I go into it all I get are folders with the names I gave you before.

3. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

That's seriously weird. I've repackaged the files in a different archive, get them here. This time, before unarchiving, move the file to a folder somewhere where it's all by itself with no other files or folders. Maybe make a new folder on your desktop and put it in there. Check The Unarchiver's settings, make sure it's set to extract to 'Same folder as archive'. See what happens.

4. d1miami

d1miami Chieftain

Okay so maybe the "same folder as archive" was the problem because I was able to get everything! Told you I was probably doing something wrong. LOL But now, after following the directions I don't get a python fail comment I get "unable to open because of a problem" and then it goes on to say to check with software developer as it's unable to run on this version of OS X. Should I delete Civ 4 and reinstall?

Sorry to be such a problem....

5. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Are you trying to launch Civ4 itself? It won't run, it's too old (though there is a work around apparently). You need to go launch directly from the Beyond the Sword application.

6. d1miami

d1miami Chieftain

I'm doing it directly from the bts app. Even tried warlords, same message.

I'm done. This just isn't working for me, obviously. Thanks very much for all your help.

7. mans0011

mans0011 Chieftain

Thanks for the help. Looks like my wife has a mid-2011 MBA 11 inch, which uses the Intel Graphics. :-/

So there's no solution whatsoever to this, then?

8. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

None that I've seen. Any sort of 3D gaming, even an older game like BTS, really needs a dedicated graphics chipset and dedicated graphics memory. Those integrated chips just aren't designed for anything but rudimentary 3D rendering.

9. OscarWildebeest

OscarWildebeest Prince

Presumably this is the same problem which has been affecting Colonization in Yosemite? I've seen talk of an "unofficial workaround", which I take to mean Xyth's solution in this thread.

(Haven't played Colonization yet, was just about to take a look at it when I saw a warning that official support had been pulled from Yosemite.)

[EDIT: Re-reading the warning from Steam, they mention the same bug affects the Civ 4 "base game", so maybe it's something different.]

10. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

It fixes Colonization as well.

11. jpinoniemi

jpinoniemi Warlord Supporter

Thanks Xyth - your instructions worked perfectly for me. Now I have to find the time to play Civ 4 again!

12. LordPrice

LordPrice Chieftain

Hi Xyth,

I'm also terrible with computers. I clicked on your link and some files downloaded but I can't seem to unzip them? What am I doing wrong?

Genuinely feel free to talk to me like I'm an idiot.

13. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

You need to get The Unarchiver from the MacAppStore. Here's a link. It's free, and once it's installed just doubleclick 'BTS Yosemite Python Fix.7z' and it will unzip.

14. Gilgalad

Gilgalad Chieftain

Thanks a bunch! I just upgraded to Yosemite and thought I had lost CIV IV for good. Easy fix, worked right away!

15. Groswann

Groswann Chieftain

Hello everybody,
    and thank you so much to Xyth for running through this issue.
    However I run into another issue.
    I am under Yosemite 10.10.1 with MacBook Pro 17'. The app launches perfectly but in a much smaller window than the entire screen of my MacBook. Moreover, the mouse pointer (mouse and trackpad) is inefficient to control the game : impossible to launch a new game or whatever.
    Any help please ?
    Thank you !
    PS : sorry for my bad english I am French (and could not find any help about this issue on any forum in France, so thanks again to everybody !)

16. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi. Welcome :wavey:

Have you tried switching between full screen and window mode? You can display the control screen for this by holding down the Command key while you launch the BTS application.

17. LordPrice

LordPrice Chieftain

Thank you so much, Mr Xyth! Much appreciated! I can go back to wasting hours now!

18. Yaiyan

Yaiyan Chieftain

If you don't want to fuss around manually copying files, just extract the linked 7zip archive into your downloads, and use the following commands in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo mv ~/Downloads/BTS\ Yosemite\ Python\ Fix/2.* /Library/Python/
    sudo rm /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3
    sudo rm /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5
    sudo mv ~/Downloads/BTS\ Yosemite\ Python\ Fix/Framework/* /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/

(Note: This deletes some system files! If you don't want to delete anything: (UNTESTED!!!) )

Code:
    sudo mv ~/Downloads/BTS\ Yosemite\ Python\ Fix/2.* /Library/Python/
    sudo mkdir /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Temp
    sudo mv /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3 /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Temp/
    sudo mv /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5 /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Temp/
    sudo mv ~/Downloads/BTS\ Yosemite\ Python\ Fix/Framework/* /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/

(I didn't test the second set of commands, but it should work. The first set of commands worked for me on Yosemite).

EDIT: May as well give some (again untested!!!) commands to undo the second commandset:

Code:
    sudo rm /Library/Python/2.3
    sudo rm /Library/Python/2.5
    sudo rm /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3
    sudo rm /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5
    sudo mv /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Temp/* /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
    sudo rm /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Temp

19. Warrencp

Warrencp Chieftain

Hi,

In the second step, I cannot find my library/python or the folders 2.6 and 2.7 inside of it. Can anyone please help me with the step? I play BTS all the time but am not great with computers. Thanks in advance!

Navigate to <Your Drive>/Library/Python/. This is NOT the Library folder in your Home folder. In this location you should see two folders called '2.6' and '2.7'.

From the 'BTS Yosemite Python Fix' folder, copy the folders '2.3' and '2.5' to this location. You'll need to enter your administration password to do this.

20. Yaiyan

Yaiyan Chieftain

Either use the commands I posted above, or if you don't like using the command line:

• Open finder
    • Click Applications
    • CMD+Up (Once)
    • Double press Library
    • Double press python

It's that folder. :)